Tamiya 1/48 F4F-4

Good afternoon all,

I am in the middle of building Tamiya's 1/48 F4F-4 and I must say that it really has been a lot of fun up to this point. I have loots of build pictures and will start posting them in order this evening.

Right now I have kind of hit a stumbling block and I was hoping that someone out there might be able to point me in the right direction. When I put the wing sections together I decided to drill out the molded gun barrels in hopes of installing small rods to simulate the gun barrels. Problem is that to date I have not been able to locate anything that looks realistic. Has anyone ever used small tubing to replicate before and if so what did you use and where did you get it?

Thanks a ton for looking and I hope to read your comments soon.

Dj

PS: I'll post progress pictures this evening.

dj go Spruebothers.com you can order Micro brass tubing or Nichole silver tubing get the slide fit package either brass or silver.

Master Model makes fifty cal machine gun barrels in 1/48 scale that are just fabulous.

Paul

Here I have the fuselage put together and as you can see I had some pretty bad seams. I really like to build Tamiya kits and usually don't have these kids of issues. Time to break out the Mr. Surfacer and start filling! You'll also notice that I taped off where I would be sanding to try and minimize the damage to the raised rivet detail.

seems1.JPG

seems2.JPG

seems3.JPG

seems4.JPG

Edited by djcook

Here I have all the seams filled and sanded. Like I stated before I tried to minimize the raised surface detail as much as I could but I still lost several raised rivets.

Archer Decals to the rescue!

archer1.JPG

Here I have replaced the rivets along the wing butt and aft of the cockpit.

rivets1.jpg

rivets2.JPG

Next I tackled the belly.

rivets3.JPG

rivets4.JPG

Once you shoot a coat of primer it's almost like new!!

rivetsprimed1.JPG

rivetsprimed2.JPG

rivetsprimed3.JPG

Next came the pre-shading followed by a little color.

Top Pre-shaded

preshadeT.JPG

Bottom Pre-shaded

preshadeB.JPG

Top painted and subtle highlights added

top%20painted.jpg

Bottom painted and the pre-shading really shows through!

bottom%20painted.jpg

Next I did the walkways. You also notice that I had a incident with the antenna. I had to sand that area down and re-attach but it's now as good as new.

walkways.jpg

This brings me to where I ma now. This is the ugliest gap I have seen. I told myself that it would be noticed because the canopy would help hide it but I juts could get past knowing it was there so last night I started filling it in. I'll post more pictures once I get it sanded down and re-painted.

cockpitgap.JPG

Paul,

Thanks for that information!!! I will be there tonight and placing my order!

dj go Spruebothers.com you can order Micro brass tubing or Nichole silver tubing get the slide fit package either brass or silver.

Master Model makes fifty cal machine gun barrels in 1/48 scale that are just fabulous.

Paul

Has anyone ever used small tubing to replicate before and if so what did you use and where did you get it?

Befriend someone who works in health care :) Needles ranging from 25 gauge (a little over 0.5mm) up through 14 (a little over 2mm) gauge are commonly used.

dj you could avoided losing any detail by sanding, I use Mister surfacer to fill wing roots,I apply it with a brush in the gap wait a few minutes then use a Q-tip with Isopropyl Alcohol 91% works best to remove the excess Mr Surfacer, No sanding no detail loss. I've been using this procedure for about 5-6 years saves on a lot of extra work.

Paul

Edited by happy1

dj you could avoided losing any detail by sanding, I use Mister surfacer to fill wing roots,I apply it with a brush in the gap wait a few minutes then use a Q-tip with Isopropyl Alcohol 91% works best to remove the excess Mr Surfacer, No sanding no detail loss. I doing this for about 5-6 years

saves on a lot of extra work.

Paul

I'll be 100% honest, the wings were in such bad shape from the glue I tried to use that I almost threw the kit out and started over. I thought about it for a few days and decided I would try and salvage the thing so what you are seeing is my attempt to fix and experiment with new techniques in the process.

Befriend someone who works in health care :)/>/> Needles ranging from 25 gauge (a little over 0.5mm) up through 14 (a little over 2mm) gauge are commonly used.

dj you can also buy hypo needles from www.cmlsupply.com they make excellent machine gun barrels.

Paul

Edited by happy1