repositioning decals after they have dried on

Guys, I have come back from a trip to find that one of the decals that I put on to a model has obviously been moved inadvertently. Unfortunately, as I put the decal on a week ago, and I used Future to help it settle, it is clinging on rather tenaciously. I have used some cloudy ammonia to see if I can soften the Future, but it is dried on so well that I am having no success.

Any tips on how to refloat it so I can get it where it should be?

Les

At this point, your choices are to either live with it, or strip it off and put a new one down. As far as I know, there isn't any way to release a decal once it's set such that it can be reused, and even more so since you said you bedded it in Future.

Don't strip it..... you cannot save the decal but you should be able to remove it.

Try taking a piece of tape, lay it over the decal and pull it off.

Curt

Future not just over it, I believe. He said he used Future to seat it - so it's encased in the stuff! He might be able to hit it with alcohol and soften the future enough to strip it off, but it'll still be useless once it's off.

Ammonia will remove Future,and I bet a piece of tape will take the decal off. I'd never strip a model, no matter what kind of mistake I made, and this decal is minor.

If it is as buried as assumed, then just repaint the area over it.

Curt

And in my experience, if you use tape to strip the decal off, the decal will come off in small pieces and be ruined, so no way of re-applying it (especially as all the pieces of fragile decal are now firmly stuck to the sticky side of the tape). When I strip decals off using Bunnings masking paint, I usually have to apply the tape and rip it off at least 10 times to remove all the pieces. You'll have to remove and apply another decal....or do as I've just had to do on my Malta Spit, remove the non-conforming roundel then airbrush it on.

Be very careful using tape to remove decals. It's easy to inadvertently remove the underlying paint as well (unless you generally apply thick coats of paint).

Steven Brown

I don't see much risk here, because the chances are overwhelming that the area around the decal will need to be sanded down and re-painted anyway after a sealing coat of Future. I like Curt's idea. Use tape and maybe get lucky, but if paint comes up with it, oh well!

Edited by chuck540z3