So...What's the consensus on the better 1/48 F-15C?

Just like to know which one I should go for in terms of quality and accuracy.

I'd like to build a few in the near future and I'd like to get the best possible kit if I can.

Thanks!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

I can't speak for the Hasegawa kit personally, but I ended up picking the GWH. I'm just getting started building it, but detail so far is excellent. Fit to date is good, but I have made it on to many of the major assemblies, so it's hard to say for sure so far.

IIRC the accurate rating, until recently, went something like this (best to worst):

Hasegawa

Monogram

Tamiya

Academy

Fujimi

Not sure where Great Wall's kit fits in, but it should certainly be at or near the top.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing the shape issues that more knowledgeable guys see on the Academy kit and enjoyed the build.

Edited by DonSS3

By far and large the best F-15 in 1/48 is the:

HASEGAWA

All the other kits, including the Great Wall Hobbies, are worst.

Oh no ! Not again ... by the way you missed to add your long list of faults like a missing pilot, which makes that kit nearly unbuildable ! :P

Sorry to say so, but You really sound like a Hasegawa-salesman and not even a fair one. Not that I want to dismiss the Hasegawa kit but Your arguments re in most cases lame especially while You ignore he weak-points of Your beloved Hasegawa-kit ...

Anyway,

Deino

Oh no ! Not again ... by the way you missed to add your long list of faults like a missing pilot, which makes that kit nearly unbuildable ! :P/>

Sorry to say so, but You really sound like a Hasegawa-salesman and not even a fair one. Not that I want to dismiss the Hasegawa kit but Your arguments re in most cases lame especially while You ignore he weak-points of Your beloved Hasegawa-kit ...

Anyway,

Deino

So, in your opinion, the GWH Eagle in the better kit? Just trying to narrow it down. Thanks!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

GWH does not have a pilot so beware :)

With all the corrections done to the GWH F-15B/D kit, (C came out later and includes the corrections), I would go with GWH if I were to build one. Some relevant links:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=268241&st=0

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2014/06/gary-looks-at-just-what-has-changed-in.html

While not having the Hasegawa F-15C to compare, I must say I am more and more impressed with the GWH kit. I sat down for my 3rd session with the GWH kit (about 3-5 hours so far) and the fit and detail are continuing to impress me. While I'll never say never, I'd find it hard to believe that the 1980's Hasegawa kit can beat this! With that said, I'll be the first to say I'm not a rivet/shape counter and can comment very little on how accurate the shape is on this kit. It seems to look like an F-15C at least.

So, in your opinion, the GWH Eagle in the better kit? Just trying to narrow it down. Thanks!

Rob

To admit I don' have the GWH kit at hand and build the Hasegawa kit only once some years ago ... but especially after modifying the molds - a decision that simply gives honor to the guys at GWH to listen to their customers - and by simply looking at the details some the Hasegawa kit not even "mentions" I can only say it is indeed no competition, it is simply the GWH kit.

That does not denies that it too has still a few issues but to tell that kit "unbuildable" like gala always tries to demonstrate is simply not fair, nor objective ...

Deino

By far and large the best F-15 in 1/48 is the:

HASEGAWA

All the other kits, including the Great Wall Hobbies, are worst.

Please justify your position, taking into account the latest edition of the GWH kit.

A statement of opinion without any justification isn't very helpful. Unless, of course, your intention is to simply be a troll and not contribute anything meaningful to this discussion.

Mark

Academy's F-15E and F-15K are outstanding kits. Incredibly detailed, accurate, well engineered, and with Cartograph decals. Affordable and up to date as well, not like some 25-year-old tooling from Hasegawa.

There is no contest: Great Wall offering is the better one.

Together with their Mig-29 models, they are now the best in the modelling world.

I tend to agree. Not to take this OT but anyone know what's next for these guys?

I like a GWH F-15C but the £76 price tag is a little crazy.

£50.46 air shipping inc. on Lucky Model.

I hope something Russian.

Sure. But a lil' 1/144 Victor K2 too.

Edited by Laurent

There is no contest: Great Wall offering is the better one.

Together with their Mig-29 models, they are now the best in the modelling world.

I won't argue on the MiG-29 but I have to disagree on the F-15 after building the original D. The open access panels on the nose spoil what is otherwise a great kit.

Academy's F-15E and F-15K are outstanding kits. Incredibly detailed, accurate, well engineered, and with Cartograph decals. Affordable and up to date as well, not like some 25-year-old tooling from Hasegawa.

Well detailed, well engineered and great decals.

Accurate, not so much. Major shape issues at the engines and minor ones elsewhere and they share the same problem as the Hasegawa, being fundamentally a D fuselage. Their C has the same problems aside from the incorrect fuselage for the type issue common to all Strike Eagles in 1/48 that aren't the Revell. These kits are best used as parts donor's for Revell's far superior F-15E, as they provide the weapons and other bits to do an F-15E/I/K/S/SM that is newer than the Gulf War 1 era and the weapons and update sprues are superb.

Edited by mawz

IIRC the accurate rating, until recently, went something like this (best to worst):

Hasegawa

Monogram

Tamiya

Academy

Fujimi

Not sure where Great Wall's kit fits in, but it should certainly be at or near the top.

That being said, I have a hard time seeing the shape issues that more knowledgeable guys see on the Academy kit and enjoyed the build.

I believe the Monogram kit is considered to be more accurate in shape then the Hasegawa kit.

Deke

Cartograph decals

CartograF. There is no "ph" in Italian. It drives them crazy that people can't seem to get the name of their company right. They've been in business for 50 years, and it's always been spelled Cartograf.

Please justify your position, taking into account the latest edition of the GWH kit.

A statement of opinion without any justification isn't very helpful. Unless, of course, your intention is to simply be a troll and not contribute anything meaningful to this discussion.

Mark

Mark,

Even the latest edition of the Great Wall Hobbies 1/48 Eagle is less accurate of the old Hasegawa release.

Here are some examples of the Great Wall Hobbies inaccuracies:

Missile Launchers:

LAU-128 missile launchers not included.

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Under Fuselage:

Both drain pipes are missing, which is correct only for a late not for an early Eagle.

Exhaust Nozzles:

Plastic actuators are way too thick, plastic petals are too long.

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much.

Horizontal Stabilizers:

Heavy reinforcement strips but there are none of such strips on the F-15C.

Trailing Edges:

Wings, tails, and stabilizers trailing edges are very thick - way over scaled.

Wing mobile surfaces:

Both flaps and ailerons are separate parts but their fit is very poor.

Air Intakes:

Curved air intakes lips but they should be straight.

Seats:

Seats way too tall.

Intake Trunks:

Trunks are too long and ridiculously narrow in the middle.

Engine fans and inlets:

Both kind included but fan bladed count is wrong.

I truly appreciate these responses, guys!

Galfa, I am truly greatful for the list of issues on the GWH kit. Would you happen to have one for the Hasegawa kit to compare? I've read build reviews on the Hase kit but no one really seems to focus on the accuracy aspects of the kit.

Thanks again all!

Rob

Edited by galileo1

Mark,

Even the latest edition of the Great Wall Hobbies 1/48 Eagle is less accurate of the old Hasegawa release.

Here are some examples of the Great Wall Hobbies inaccuracies:

Missile Launchers:

LAU-128 missile launchers not included.

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Under Fuselage:

Both drain pipes are missing, which is correct only for a late not for an early Eagle.

Exhaust Nozzles:

Plastic actuators are way too thick, plastic petals are too long.

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much.

Horizontal Stabilizers:

Heavy reinforcement strips but there are none of such strips on the F-15C.

Trailing Edges:

Wings, tails, and stabilizers trailing edges are very thick - way over scaled.

Wing mobile surfaces:

Both flaps and ailerons are separate parts but their fit is very poor.

Air Intakes:

Curved air intakes lips but they should be straight.

Seats:

Seats way too tall.

Intake Trunks:

Trunks are too long and ridiculously narrow in the middle.

Engine fans and inlets:

Both kind included but fan bladed count is wrong.

It's indeed funny, but several of these severe mistakes can either be corrected quite easily or not even included on the Hasegawa kit. Especially the surface details, the latest add-ons which are only on the latest blocks are in no way included in any of Hasegawa's kit.

As far as I remember the Hasegawa kit, there is not even a too narrow intake trunk nor a wrong number of fan-blades, LAU-128 missile launcher were also not included (at least in my very old edition), and regarding the way too thick leading edges and other details You mention can easily be corrected with a little effort. I think "we" are still aircraft modellers and we are not buying a shake and display kit.

Again I don't say it is a 100% perfect kit, but the Hasegawa isn't it too ...as such stay fair.

Deino