Looks like a nice kit, they provided what appears to be a very complete driver's station as well as some interior parts for the cupola which is a plus.

Wish they included parts for the A3 but I'm sure that version will be along at some point.

In the mean time, I might break down and take a shot at an A1 in one of those colorful 70's USAEUR paint schemes.

I would of liked to see a A3 also. I worked on armor around the time the A3 was being replaced by the M-1 and M1A1 in Germay.

The tankers I knew said that the A3 actually had better thermal sights than the early M1's. They felt that the early version M1's were a step back from the A3's. Once the M1A1's arrived it was a different story though.

Mine is on the way from Luckymodel. The kit does come with both types of air cleaners which will allow you to build early and late model M60A1s. I just need to add grenade launchers to model my ride in Germany. As for the thermals after serving on both M1s and A3s, the A3s thermals were better. The A3 used a 5 inch screen for the gunner and TC. The M1 used the standard periscope one eye only eye piece so your resolution was much better. It was also much easier to use with a protective mask on. The M60A3 had a later improved thermal since it came after the M1.

Final question is will I clear the bench to start building it.

TC

The tankers I knew said that the A3 actually had better thermal sights than the early M1's. They felt that the early version M1's were a step back from the A3's. Once the M1A1's arrived it was a different story though.

M1A1 thermals where good, when they worked :rolleyes: that 1st gunnery with the M1A1 will never be forgotten.

What was the need for the protective mask, iirc turning on the coax fan created a postive air pressure inside the tank?

Only issue on my hog was a faulty aux hydro pump, no one should leave home without one. Was not on A3, but my two TC's were.

The M60A3 had no over pressure system it had a vent fan to help clear main gun and coax fumes out by bringing in clean air but was not for NBC. The 60 series had a central gas filtration system that the crew had to plug their masks into. NBC engagements were a part of table VIII. Get caught without the crew being masked and fail the table. The slick M1 used the same system.

TC

Out of idle curiosity, anyone know what a cold war, West Germany "go-to-war" loadout configuration would have been? Empty bustle rack or filled to the gills with rucks and all associated gear?

Really hoping they release the A3 soon, it's been on my to build list for ages.

Don, every time we rolled out of the motorpool on alert we were in our go to war configuration except for small arms ammunition. The bustle rack was full of personal gear duffle bags c-rat s small personal bags. In 1978-9 rucks were not general issue to tankers. My tank commander the PLT SGT had mid night requisitioned 2 extra water cans, black plastic, in jerrycan racks on the bustle rack and an extra road wheel on the blower cover. We had to roll as if going to war every time we left the motorpool. The tanks always had a full combat load of main gun ammo and the machine guns were always mounted except for cleaning. Our field duffle bags were stored in the tanks as well to speed readiness times. This evolved over time once we transitioned to M60s, as more and more items were stored on board to speed deployment times.

It was alot different from the loadouts I saw stateside or with the National Guard with cots and coolers.

TC

• 5 months later...

Heard the same thing from old-timer TC's and gunners as well but personally wasn't on the A3 long enough to really see (or at least recall) a difference. I do remember the A3's Ruby LRF seemed a bit better than that of the Abrams I crewed (M1 & IP-M1), never made it to M1A1 but believe they went from the YAG to CO2 LRF which was "safer" but probably a bit more temperamental.

Oh and regarding stowage of our gear, mid-late 80's tanker here, we normally used the tarp to line the bustle rack and then load our seabags (2 per crewmember) and rucks as well as deuce gear. Once loaded up we'd wrap the tarp over our equipment and synched it down with tarp ropes. This tankers "burrito" was an attempt to keep our gear as dust free and dry as possible. Additionally, we only occasionally hung stuff off the turret sides on the 60A1/A3 but almost never off the sides of the Abrams turret. Just too much chance of loosing gear as you're rolling through the woods & no one enjoys going through a statement of charges ;)

Ahui hou sir!

Mark

• 3 weeks later...