1/1000 Zoelguut-class Class 1 Super Dreadnought

Hi again

Thought I might as well show you the fruits of this weekend's labor - which doesn't seem like much, but it all takes planning and scouring through multiple sprues looking for the right bit. I try to avoid just sticking any old bit of stuff on there just for the sake of it.

I've started on the bottom plate now and concentrated my efforts in the space at the rear center - where what started out as general piping and machinery turned into a new gun. Jim will be so proud...! :D I don't know the function of the raised pipes behind the gun though - I just they looked cool Some lead wire in there as well to busy it all up. I found a 1/700 Carrier Net PE set the other day at my LHS and it's great. These nets make great exhaust grills. The range finders were plopped on some PE Swordfish(?) wings and the barrels are cut 0.06mm Albion Alloy tubing.

My gun has a lot more chunk to it than the other ones - it's not as sleek so maybe I should just chunk up the other guns instead :gr_devil:

IMG_0400_zpsois733sf.jpg

IMG_0402_zps7h9hnlvu.jpg

IMG_0404_zpsruof9lor.jpg

IMG_0405_zpsti8qkwzk.jpg

IMG_0406_zpsnukukimq.jpg

Well, that's it for a few nights. Thanks again for looking

Till next time

MH

LOL - thanks Janne :) I may do just that ;)

Greetings everyone -I hope we all enjoyed our little Easter break? I know I did...well, almost. Ever seen what happens when a 4 year old eats too much Chocolate? More over, the aftermath of such excessive indulgence? It's not pretty.

At all.

Well, it's all over for another year. Hopefully by next year he will have learnt about moderation...

Any-who, your not here to read about my boy and his choc addiction, your here to see what's been happening on the ship. Well, I have been busy building up the central intake and agonizing over what parts I want, need and more importantly, fit. I was having a look through some of my kits in the "stash" (pffttt..yeah right) and I came across a 1/48 F-111A from Hobby Boss. Well, it has a fully detailed engine and there are a couple of bits that stick onto the engine itself. They were perfect for a machinery wall and I couldn't ask for a better fit. So I took a mold of them and cast them so I didnt have to ruin them for the plane they're meant to go on. I also found the sipper lids off a Powerade bottle works well as a turbine. Not that I'm sure these ships actually have turbines, but I thought they looked cool. I also cast the tips of the compressor blades from the F111 and I used the actual blades from the F111 kit - which I'll end up regretting if I actually build the F111!

I wasn't going to make something like this, but that's what I ended up with.

I am going to paint it all tomorrow and then I'll be able to close it all up and then finish off the surface detailing ready for paint.

As you can see in the below pics, especially in the last ones, you will not see much of any of this, so I haven't going too crazy. Just enough to be seen. I may add a couple of fiber optic threads in there just for some interest

Judge for yourselves if you like it or not :)

IMG_0408_zps7aatftx1.jpg

IMG_0413_zpsarshcrpr.jpg

IMG_0414_zpsoxondrcq.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsoydbkxrp.jpg

IMG_0422_zpsww2smlss.jpg

IMG_0423_zpskhtjmaja.jpg

Well, that's all I have for now, but I'll update again soon once this is all painted and buttoned up, which will hopefully be tomorrow or Tuesday night.

As always, thanks for looking

Till then

MH

Well, I'm back again with a quick update. No painting as yet, but I have pretty much finished detailing the central "intakes" - or what ever the heck they are meant to be. I am hoping to add some paint to them tomorrow and then I can finally get the 2 halves joined - although really, I should finish detailing the bottom side of the hull first then join them up. I am finding it so much easier to detail the top and bottom as separate parts rather than a whole - something which I will have to do with the front half of the ship. Not that it's that big a deal really.

IMG_0424_zps85div5es.jpg

IMG_0425_zpskrp9glre.jpg

IMG_0427_zpss6xqnnr3.jpg

IMG_0429_zps05za4z0o.jpg

IMG_0430_zps5l8gzruw.jpg

IMG_0431_zps8nbrnlow.jpg

IMG_0432_zpsuevntwqz.jpg

IMG_0434_zpsjvnnpkzi.jpg

Well, that's it for now, be back again soon

Till then

thanks for looking

MH

Hi again

Wow - 3 posts in as many days - what's wrong with me? I never post this much, but I thought you may like to see what these internals look like with it's base coat on. In my opinion, it looks remarkably better. Once the paint has dried, I'll dry brush some parts with a light grey and the rest in metallics.

IMG_0438_zpssxcxgfiu.jpg

IMG_0439_zps8zbqhtc7.jpg

IMG_0444_zpsdqksefck.jpg

IMG_0446_zpso3pwm6yz.jpg

IMG_0448_zpsd5mqeypj.jpg

IMG_0450_zpsudjmdu5t.jpg

I've also painted the grills in Tamiya Dark Iron - a colour which I am now quite fond of. They look a lot better than sanded black! :)

IMG_0440_zpsvm14ds7n.jpg

Well, that'll do for now - I think I've spammed the boards enough ;)

Once everything has been finished etc, I'll post another update

Till then

Thanks for looking

MH

Greetings all

So, what's new? Well, I have pretty much finished the bottom plate. In fact, I'm going to call it done for now until I get the 2 halves of the ship joined, then I'll add the last bits and bobs. No point doing all of them now or when the 2 halves meet later the detailing won't.

IMG_0468_zpsvoffojhs.jpg

IMG_0469_zpsokkupkmp.jpg

IMG_0470_zpsbolocolq.jpg

IMG_0473_zpsvn1v8gp5.jpg

IMG_0474_zpsnkkrdcm2.jpg

IMG_0478_zps6kdypzvl.jpg

IMG_0480_zpsieliv1wk.jpg

IMG_0485_zpsqvdjymmj.jpg

IMG_0486_zpspomlhpso.jpg

I've also been hard at work thinking of the right paint scheme for this ship. It's going to be red, but I'm also thinking of adding NATO black and light grey "Bismark" style stripes to break up the solid color. Either actual stripes or I use the existing natural segments of the ship.

I just need to add some more detail to the upper plate in the central intake as I realised I have a big bit of blank wall there which is not good: I need to fill it, so out with the frames again and I'll see what I can use.

The next update should be the closure of the 2 hull plates and joining up with the front

till then,

Thanks for looking

MH

Well it's now looking like a ship. I joined the front and back halves together tonight as that's where I'm up to but best of all, ALL of my lighting actually works for once. NO shorted out bridge lights, no missing fiber lights. It's all there

Mind you - there wasn't a lot to begin with :D

Fresh shots from the camera:

IMG_0498_zpskevo8exm.jpg

IMG_0497_zps0ce1ktxc.jpg

IMG_0495_zpsav5ic0kd.jpg

IMG_0508_zpseuvapcau.jpg

Well, that's all for now. I'll be starting to add detail to the front end of the ship from tomorrow

Thanks for looking

MH

Looks outstanding with them x-mas lights :D Only thing I tjink could be improved is in the last picture, the fuselage halfes look a bit thick in the view from the rear. Perhaps add a thin lip along the edge to make it look thinner?

Thank you for the feedback guys, especially you Janne - I think that's the first time I've had constructive critique for ages - love it!. However, I haven't added the intake lips yet which is why they look very thick. It's just so painting is a bit easier in those hard to reach spaces. Once the lips are on there, it'll look a lot better

Got some more detail painting to do today on the inside of the intakes then on to detailing the front half! Joy....

greetings all

Update time - such as it is. I am not far off finishing the detailing and I reckon I'll be ready for paint in a week or so. I just need to finish the underside of the front end and that will be pretty much it. Just a few more bits of detail to add to the center of the ship and then done - once my stuff from HLJ arrives that is

Up front, I haven't gone too crazy with the surface texture, but enough to make it more interesting. I really love this uber thin plastic strip from Hobby Base. The white stuff is Evergreen and it's lying on it's thinnest side and it still looks much thicker that the HB strip. Fantastic for subtle textures

I still haven't been brave enough to mutilate the nose yet. It's such an expensive kit that it's making me too nervous to do in case I screw it up. I have run out of silicone so I can't make a mold of it to experiment with and even if I had some, I have no idea on how I would actually cast it to look the same as the original. It has a very distinctive shape to the "top" of it which makes it difficult to cast. If anyone has an idea on how I could do it, please do let me know 'coz I don't.

Also, somewhere along the line, I have snapped off the tip of the right side rear fin, so I'll have to repair that at some point too.

Well, enough writing, time for the pics:

IMG_0509_zpskzyshmss.jpg

IMG_0510_zpsqr1mhltb.jpg

IMG_0512_zpsldyvital.jpg

IMG_0513_zpsduglfjod.jpg

IMG_0514_zpsatefpxzi.jpg

IMG_0515_zpsz8f53yrz.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsjf92y5cj.jpg

IMG_0524_zpsgr7xokm2.jpg

Just to give you an idea of how big this ship is:

IMG_0526_zpsoxhoy2aa.jpg

Well, that's it for now. I'll update again once the bottom side has been done and my parts arrive from HLJ

Thanks for looking

MH

yes - I knew it would be big, but just how big was quite a surprise. A figure on a box is sometimes hard to quantify as a reality :)

I intend to modify the nose to look less like a shaver and more like a spaceship - I just haven't finalised the end design just yet, nor have I quite summoned up enough courage to modify such an important part of a very expensive kit :)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everyone

It's been a couple of weeks since I last updated and in that time I have achieved......not a lot. I'm still waiting for the parts to arrive from Japan and once they're here, I can add the last of the detailing tot he bottom of the ship.

I have yet to detail a few places like the lips of the central intakes, the middle part of the front half where it's white and then make a final decision about what to do with the nose

In regards to what I have actually done, well, some surface detail as can plainly be seen plus I have added some angular fins on the nose area and also just forward of the bridge. I felt that the ship could look a bit more aggressive than what it does, so I thought maybe some spike like fins could add to the aesthetics.

IMG_0527_zpse99bw1td.jpg

IMG_0528_zpslcnpcpxy.jpg

IMG_0529_zpsfvwn4hre.jpg

IMG_0530_zps7zvhkcsd.jpg

IMG_0534_zpswwrtolrs.jpg

IMG_0535_zps7z02estv.jpg

IMG_0539_zpshldizmqa.jpg

IMG_0540_zpstetbywoi.jpg

IMG_0543_zpskjq9ur0y.jpg

IMG_0544_zpslxkswf0i.jpg

So, what do you think? Do you think

A) They look good!! So much better like that

B) Yeah, they're OK. Not entire convinced just yet but the more I look at it, the more it grows on me

C) They look OK but there's something not quite right about them...

D) Yeah, but no. I think maybe you should loose them.

E) OMG!!! What the hell have you done?! Those poor graceful, sweeping lines....!? You shall burn in hell for this sacrilege!

Of course, you don't have to be anyone one of those above, but any honest, constructive feedback would be greatly received

Not far now till the painting stage. I'm really looking forward to it. I have some cool ideas that hopefully aren't above my skill level to achieve

As always, thanks for stopping in

MH

Thanks Janne :)

Got my parts from HLJ today and I have fitted the last details to the ship. I painted the top half in semi gloss black last night and I went through about half a bottle. Good thing I had another jar ready to use. I've stocked up on RLM Red and am ready to start proper painting

I'll incorporate some grey replacement panels into the red so it looks better than one solid colour - but I won't go overboard this time with those ones and I think they'll be a little bit larger.

As I look at it here in front of me, coated in black, the ship looks really awesome and it'd be a shame as to loose some of the blackness, so I'm thinking about doing some black/NATO black and light grey/flat white Bismark styled splinter stripes - angled forward more so as to properly disturb the shape. Either that or paint the ships existing armour plates - one white the other black

Or, all over red with NATO black intake lips, the neck and front gun emplacement. I think that could make a dramatic scheme. I mean, yeah, I could just do it all in different shades of red like is in the show, but where's the fun in that? I'm thinking 50 years on from the allegiance between The Garmilla and Earth and this is one of their main capital ships. Also explains all the add-on's - joint technology! ;)

decisions decisions ..... I shall ponder more on it...but quickly

I thought I would show you what this looks like in paint - although it's only one colour - black - but still, it looks really cool. Well, to me anyway

IMG_0640_zpsqzfog6gf.jpg

IMG_0641_zpsi8mgfrck.jpg

IMG_0642_zpsuwzcurff.jpg

IMG_0643_zps34cejc0p.jpg

IMG_0644_zpsbwzs13ot.jpg

IMG_0645_zpsdke5m40n.jpg

IMG_0646_zpshvx1zrvo.jpg

IMG_0647_zpsxor14jna.jpg

Well, that's all Ii have for now. I reckon the next update may well be the last one. Who knows - I may even get this done in time for Expo!! Now that would be great if I could do that :)

Till then

Thanks for looking

MH