439 Squadron Tiger Meet 1976 CF-104

I see what happened and have doubts about the medical tape. Better go with tamiya tape and/or blue tack masking.

Tobi,

It's not the 3M tape, IMHO. I think the issue might be that the rattle can black came out so thick and at such a high pressure that it got under the other masking tape between the bits of 3M tape used for the demarcation lines. The demarcation lines are pretty sharp but it's the areas that ALF used masking tape where the black seeped through. I think the volume of paint, and the pressure, lessened the strength of the tackiness of the tape and that what allowed the black to bleed through. In my build, I used the exact same masking method as ALF but I sprayed my black with an airbrush and you can see how crisp the demarcation lines are and how there was no seepage of black onto the yellow. This is no slight to ALF as his airbrush is in the hands of Badger and he's making due with what's available to him. I have no doubt that this is only a minor setback for him and when he gets back to this project, he'll come through with flying colours; black and yellow!

Thanks for the update chum. Good luck with the Herc.

Take care buddy.

Mike

Ya tuhan ku! That's a super-Murphy! That kicks fool...really...Don't give up! I recommend a wet fine sanding to remove the wrong black spots on the yellow. So probably the yellow there only gets thin and it is enough to spray these parts with yellow again and not to build up the complete painting - would give a rather thick layer!

I see what happened and have doubts about the medical tape. Better go with tamiya tape and/or blue tack masking.

But freehand is no option!? I guess the black overspray is too strong /hard on yellow!?

Don't loose the drive on that model, I would like to see it finished in the NTM GB! :cheers:/>

Tobi

I was wondering how long it would be before somebody mentioned Murphy's Law... :woot.gif:

The ironic thing, is this time it wasn't really his fault - it was exactly as AX_365 described it. The volume of paint, and the pressure at which it comes out from the spray can, are the problem.

My recovery plan is:

1. Work on a CC-130 for a friend

2. When I wait for things to dry on that build, I take an exacto blade and gently scrape off the offending black

3. I will build up some yellow onto the areas that have been scraped, using an airbrush.

Thanks for the hint about building up to a very thick layer. I was also worried about that.

ALF

• 2 months later...

Hello, my name is ALF and I am a recovering Tiger paint job screw-up. As per my plan above, I set this kit aside and only worked on it piecemeal over the last month. Here's what I did:

-scraped it down to the primer where the black had run through. I did not strip off the paint; this was getting into the "too much work" category, so I will accept some thick paint here and there.

P1230281_zpsxq54ok5b.jpg

I then repainted with white Tamiya primer.

P1230282_zpstoujznez.jpg

Then, an overall yellow rattle can (Tamiya) job. Some areas are a bit thick and imperfect. This will be a 3-footer.

P1230283_zpsmhtpsc1h.jpg

Now, the part I hate: masking. Some of the black had been poorly done, so it was a long job. The only good thing is I had an excuse to look at the 3 pics I took of the real thing in May of 1976, including my immediate family in the one shot. Two are no longer there, my parents.

P1230935_zps7wmj2wyi.jpg

Thanks for looking! Now on to the painting with the newly-repaired air brush.

ALF

WAAAAAAAAAY easier to paint the right amount with an air brush! You don't realize how much you need it until it breaks.

P1230963_zpshwqlpfs2.jpg

I have started a 1/48 Spitfire just for fun; it is easy to build, I don't care how accurate or perfect it is, and it helps me get my modelling mojo back. Warming up for the Spitfire GB next winter, although I really don't want to think about winter as the weather finally gets a tiny bit warmer around here.

P1230964_zpsby9oupui.jpg

And, here we are! Much improved. I have some minor touch-ups to do, then I have to paint the fibreglass panel behind the cockpit and some other details. The black (Tamiya flat black acrylic) is quite fragile; it doesn't stick to the gloss yellow very well, so I am anxious to get a Future coat on it soon.

P1230965_zps3r5vzs2f.jpg

I may not have much time over the weekend for this. It is Bagotville airshow weekend! The weather should be OK tomorrow (Saturday): 22C, with sun and clouds. Sunday they are calling for 40% chance of rain with clouds and a high of 19C. Too bad, but I will have two ARC modelling buddies with me for the airshow (AX_365 and Neo), so we'll be sure to have a great time. It will be nice to see those guys. My son has also said he wants to go on Sunday, to spend some time with me on fathers' day.

Happy modelling, and this will be done by the GB end date. I am much encouraged by the paint job.

ALF

I m happy to see you back on the Tiger Zipper! And yeah...that paint job already looks good! Have a nice fathers day and an awesome time with your buddies! See your F-104 in the finished area soon... ;-)

Thanks guys, for the encouragement. AX_365 saw it in person yesterday, and (without his reading glasses) he pronounced it "good." :woot.gif:

I am doing some detail painting, and will do a Future coat for decals soon. The Tamiya acrylic flat black is VERY fragile on top of the Tamiya yellow from the rattle can. The tiniest scrape, and it rubs right off. The Future will fix that, and in the meantime I am doing numerous touch-ups on the black when I manage to knick it.

ALF

Decals applied. Belcher's Bits does a great job of providing a means to do any CF-104 scheme. For example, for this Tiger scheme, you simply have to use some white underlays to adapt the standard markings to the Tiger scheme. Note the white areas that are under the regular decals here. Some have the regular decals applied over them already, and some are just drying while awaiting the next layer.

P1240169_zpsf751o6fw.jpg

An extreme close-up showing the white underlayer. I chopped off the red text around the arrow; this scheme didn't have it according to the pics I took in 1976.

P1240171_zpsswkv1sm1.jpg

It's really hard to get these tiny tail numbers to sit in the right place. The "104" is one unit, but the 7, 5, and 6 are individual numbers that refused to align easily.

P1240173_zpsxd9bczk9.jpg

Done! More pics in the completed build section. THanks for following along, and a special thanks to those who encouraged me to persevere.

P1240174_zpsdp8jxzxo.jpg

ALF

I think I said 'Really good' but I'd had two glasses of wine and that's two more than I usually have!

Turned out very nicely ALF. I have to agree about the individual tail numbers. What a PITA. Fortunately the '104' is on bit so that took out a bit of the fiddling. She looks great in the group shot too. A great personal touch too. I'm sure ALF Sr. is quite proud.

Good job my friend.

Mike