South Korean AH-1J SeaCobra

I'm wanting to build a South Korean 1/48 or maybe 1/72 AH1J SeaCobra but am struggling to find any decent images. I've managed to find an image of one at a museum in South Korea n have managed to make some decals of the roundels and army hangul (korean symbols) on the boom and numbers on the tail but don't have any images of other markings normally visible on such helicopters. Does anyone have any decent images or know what other markings would be present? Thanks.

Edited by Tsubame

I don't know what the ROK's called their externally purchased AH-1's but I don't think that is an AH-1J. That appears to be an AH-1T. The sighting turret and TOW holders were on T's, that's what gave them the designation

Chris M

I don't know what the ROK's called their externally purchased AH-1's but I don't think that is an AH-1J. That appears to be an AH-1T. The sighting turret and TOW holders were on T's, that's what gave them the designation

Chris M

Chris,

The AH-1T has the longer tailboom and 214 rotor system of the Whisky. This bird looks like a J more than a T to me. Here's a AH-1T I found at random on the net.

Ray

0492201.jpg

Edited by rotorwash

The lineage of these guys can be murky when it gets to international sales. At least to me. Good points you guys have made. Ray, could the photo you show actually be the AH-1T+? Nope, there was only one AH-1T+, a demonstrator which was a proposal to go Iran. Never advanced due to Iran becoming a belligerent to the US. The AH-1T+ became the AH-1W.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

[

quote name=Chief Snake' timestamp='1425563064' post='2694044]

The lineage of these guys can be murky when it gets to international sales. At least to me. Good points you guys have made. Ray, could the photo you show actually be the AH-1T+? Nope, there was only one AH-1T+, a demonstrator which was a proposal to go Iran. Never advanced due to Iran becoming a belligerent to the US. The AH-1T+ became the AH-1W.

Chris M

Chris,

the AH-1T+ as you say was the prototype Whisky and has the new Whiskey engines. The AH-1T has the Pratt and Whitney twin pack of the AH-1J with the longer tail and larger rotor system. There are "slick" Ts without TOW and TOW T's with the TSU. It's one of the reasons a lot of Marine snake drivers didn't care for the AH-1T, bigger rotor system with the same power plant of the J producing an under powered aircraft. Mason, I should have realized it was an AH-1J international variant.

Ray

Here is a slick T:

AH-1T_HMA-269_in_flight_1982.JPEG

Here is a TOW T:

AH-1T_takes_off_from_USS_Guadalcanal_(LPH-7)_1987.JPEG

From what I can gather, the TOW sites on the Iranian AH-1Js were built internally by the Iranians themselves and are still used on their more 'modern' Toufans, just like their latest Toufan 2s that have AH-1S style flat plate canopies and AH-1Z style laser designators, but are obviously still just rehashed AH-1Js. Made me laugh when they released images of these because they claimed they had built a totally new helicopter! May have a go at building one of these if i can source an AH-1Z from somewhere.

Edited by Tsubame