Tools for precise cuts????

What are you cutting if your using a Dremel and contemplating a table saw???

Most hobby needs can be handled with the JLC Saw, great tool.

Curt

JLCsaw-V.jpg

Edited by Netz

In this particular instance, I am adding different engines to my F-14 so I have to cut off the engine shrouds molded into the fuselage and add on an Aires engine shrouds. A straight cut would help limit how much filling and sanding I would have to do, immensely.

I was thinking maybe like a mini-table saw not a full-sized, wood cutting table saw or anything like that.

In this particular instance, I am adding different engines to my F-14 so I have to cut off the engine shrouds molded into the fuselage and add on an Aires engine shrouds. A straight cut would help limit how much filling and sanding I would have to do, immensely.

I was thinking maybe like a mini-table saw not a full-sized, wood cutting table saw or anything like that.

Why not use your dremel with a grinding tool to grind away the engine shroud? Or the JLC Saw, which is an awesome tool to have around. I even use mine to cut parts off of the sprues, gives me a nice clean and flush cut, doesn't require much sanding to remove the tiny bit of plastic that remains from the sprue attachment points.

What are you cutting if your using a Dremel and contemplating a table saw???

Most hobby needs can be handled with the JLC Saw, great tool.

Curt

JLCsaw-V.jpg

Netz,

I'm ashamed to say that I'm still using my nearly 40 year old pair of Xacto saws, which are rather dull by now. I've been looking at those saws, but I'm not sure what blade is good for general cutting. Is the Ultra thin blade too fine for general work?

Thanks,

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I use this two saw set from Tamiya, and more often than not I hold them without a handle. I also use surgical blades. I use the one in the picture for straight cuts.

(The squares on the matt are 1x1 cm.)

Regards

DSC_7281_zpsw32iy7wy.jpg

Edited by Tosa

Joel_W, My JLC blade measures .005 so I assume it's ultra fine. I just picked this saw up 4-5 years ago, and wish I had it sooner, it's a great saw.

I notice I use the fine teeth more so then the coarse side.

I had been using the big X-Acto for hogging out parts, but acquired some Photo etched blades similar to THESE,

tritool11.jpg they have their purpose but long straight cuts are not it, great for getting into tight places.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Thanks guys,

think I'll just buy both the Ultra fine, and fine blades with a handle and try them both out. I haven't really been too happy with the width of the cut that the old Xacto saws make, not to mention that they no longer "glide" through the plastic, and often get stuck making the cut a real issue.

Joel

Thanks guys,

think I'll just buy both the Ultra fine, and fine blades with a handle and try them both out. I haven't really been too happy with the width of the cut that the old Xacto saws make, not to mention that they no longer "glide" through the plastic, and often get stuck making the cut a real issue.

Joel

Joel,

The blades are fine on one edge and ultra fine on the other. They are not separate blades. Cut on the pull stroke.

You will love this saw. It is great for removing small delicate parts from the sprues, especially clear parts. Also great for scribing straight lines.

You will throw that old Xacto saw away :)

Bob

Joel,

The blades are fine on one edge and ultra fine on the other. They are not separate blades. Cut on the pull stroke.

You will love this saw. It is great for removing small delicate parts from the sprues, especially clear parts. Also great for scribing straight lines.

You will throw that old Xacto saw away :)/>

Bob

Bob,

Will be ordering them asap.

Joel