Academy 1/72 scale Su-27SM

They have reboxed Zvezda before, like the T-50 kit. And yes, Revell is also reboxing, i expect them to make their own decal sheet for it tho instead of reboxing that. PE in Academy kit looks nice.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm....

I might be doing Academy a disservice......

The recognition features of a Su-27SM are the offset IRST ball in front of the windscreen and the small rod antenna on the leading edge slats.

The box art on the Academy kit looks like it has a central IRST - but looking closely at the (not very clear) image - it looks like it might have those slat antenna after all.

Sorry if I am causing confusion........ :cheers:

Ken

£24.99 + shipping at Hannants, with a wee p/e fret? My Zvezda SM came from an eBay source for £12.99 + around £3 shipping. I see they are now £16.90 with free shipping within UK, or £14.83 + free from Lithuania -worth it for the double-box alone! :D/>

Flankerman, just a quicky: is the Trumpeter (early) canopy the correct Omega section with a seam? The screen section looks roughly that way in your photos. If so, I could probably fix the weird angled gear bays...TIA.

Edited by ChippyWho

Hmmmm....

I might be doing Academy a disservice......

The recognition features of a Su-27SM are the offset IRST ball in front of the windscreen and the small rod antenna on the leading edge slats.

The box art on the Academy kit looks like it has a central IRST - but looking closely at the (not very clear) image - it looks like it might have those slat antenna after all.

Sorry if I am causing confusion........ :cheers:/>

Ken

Did you actually click on the original link you posted in the first post of this thread? Because it contains a link to the original picture of the boxart...

Did you actually click on the original link you posted in the first post of this thread? Because it contains a link to the original picture of the boxart...

So Academy badly photoshopped the picture of a Vanilla Su-27 to make it look like a Su-27SM?

Changed the bort number and erased the ECM blisters on the air intakes, but didn't add the antennas on the slats and didn't bother with the IRST offset.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/1962488/L/

Now I am thoroughly confused.

Berkut..... yes I did look at the box art photo on Scalemodels.ru - but my eyesight/screen resolution/photo reproduction isn't up to deciding if the Flanker in the photo has the offset IRST or slat aerials of a Su-27SM.

What is your opinion ?? - am I wrong - or is Academy wrong ???

Platycqb..... I'm not sure if you are being ironic or not - is it a PS of the Airliners.net photo???

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room now - but I'd appreciate both your thoughts on the matter.

Ken

PS - The Zvezda kit is being re-boxed by both Revell AND Academy - are they just re-bagging sprues supplied by Zvezda - or do either of them have the moulds ???

PPS - Does anyone know if the canopy moulding issue has been resolved (not the Omega cross-section but the moulding flaws)

Edited by Flankerman

They asked to use Max's picture as a boxart after he did photoshop to it to resemble Su-27SM. Why they went that route instead of just asking for Su-27SM picture from anyone else, i dont know. Either way the original picture is this;

http://www.airliners.net/photo/1962488/L/

Which was photoshopped into SM, so i wouldnt sweat on it being correct or not correct.