1/48th Me-262A-1A 'Yellow 3'

I just finished up the Hobbyboss 1/48th Me-262, what a great kit! The fit was fantastic with hardly any filler at all, the only trouble was with the gun bay doors, but if you leave them open then there shouldn't be really any fit problems at all. I did this build OOB, with the only aftermarket being EagleCals decals (These worked really well, probably some of the best decals I've worked with, they're thing, settle down easily into the crevices with MicroSol. I'm still learning how to really do the Luftwaffe mottling, but each time it gets a little bit better/easier. I used Mr. Color paints, RLM 76, 81, 82 and an oil wash for panel lines, fluid streaks, and filtering. Would anyone whose done a lot of luftwaffe WWII subjects care to share some of their secrets for mottling, videos? Anyhow, overall a really enjoyable build and I hope you like checking it out.

Dan

IMG_2235_zpsctchjfm6.jpg

IMG_2239_zpstjerwuyi.jpg

IMG_2233_zps4m9gajkt.jpg

IMG_2232_zps6gj48xij.jpg

IMG_2223_zpsc798wfrx.jpg

IMG_2217_zpsf33bwevm.jpg

IMG_2216_zpsycenfzdh.jpg

IMG_2214_zps3ogzixvd.jpg

IMG_2213_zpswbgwyvh8.jpg

I am no 262 expert but that looks great :thumbsup:! Nice colors, subtle weathering, and your camouflage (including the mottled paint)looks just fine to me. You should be proud of that build.

Regards,

Don

All my prop builds have been USA and some Allied aircraft, so my only observations of German WW11 aircraft comes from studying posted builds, and yours certainly is a nearly perfect OOB build. Your camo paint scheme is extremely well done, and your mottling works well within the camo scheme.

Joel

Thanks everyone for the kind words. When I first got back into the hobby several years ago I wasn't really into props or WWII subjects, but now that I've gotten some experience with an airbrush I find the luftwaffe mottled camo jobs a lot of fun and provides a nice challenge that some of the modern jets jobs don't provide; there's also a lot more variation in these old camo schemes than in todays times which is nice. I really recommend this kit to anyone thinking of doing an Me-262, it comes together quickly and is really well-engineered. The only thing the kit can benefit from is having either aftermarket flaps, slats, and control surfaces (if available?) or one could cut them and do a quasi-scratch job as I believe these were drooped when the real a/c was parked.

Dan