Here she is.

E188229C-717A-4D9D-89B4-B3A76674F8B9_zpsi8gjmmlz.jpg

I couldn't have picked a more challenging kit to start with sheesh.

Anyway this will be an ordeal. There's a lot of parts and a lot of painting that will be done. I've been looking at real pictures of the car and I think I'm going to be sparse on the carbon fibre.

*following pics for discussion purposes.

The hardest part off the bat will be the cf ring on the wheels. As seen here.

47A25A6E-4D9E-4609-861B-98B1E97B806C_zpsjmbx1sia.jpg

The kit wheels look very accurate and they provide the cf part as a separate ring. But I need to cover it in cf decals which I don't have so shopping I will go.

After that the other main area I was worried about is the diffuser but looking at this picture...

4037B64D-D18C-4CAA-8EDD-A5113779E6FF_zpsb33a78me.jpg

And several others if you zoom in it doesn't look like cf. Or if it is it's very very fine and blends well. I have seen pics that show the weave on the wing so I will do that but otherwise I may get away with semigloss black maybe with a tint of grey.

What say you loyal viewers? Is that diffuser cf or what is it? It looks like plastic but I can't imagine it is on a million + dollar car.

Actual work has been started. 1 part of the diffuser has been glued to the undertray. Cleaned that up a little but left a slight seam as I think it may be there I'm not sure. Anyway sprayed the rotors aircraft aluminum directly to the plastic. Once that dries I'll mask and paint the calipers fluo red.

Painted the wheels and most everything else of the suspension gloss black in preparation of carbon fiber decals. Decals are on their way from HLJ.

I'm going to vary things on the undertray since I have no idea what it should look like anyway. Just for effect and also practice.

7C448184-2914-4420-BF4E-1DEDF8C79E6C_zpsovn0chae.jpg

3659D20D-9B21-49A4-A98C-339F8D3373DA_zps7teumyx4.jpg

C2502FFE-D603-4722-971E-19DB78241A0E_zpsijlmnwrw.jpg

OK. So, paint first, build second. Is that the drill for autos?

Sort of. Some things you need to build first, like the engine, some body parts, two part seats, etc. For the most part though, everything gets painted first.

Look at some of the other auto builds on here and you should be able to see what we're talking about.

-Dave

Yes Dave is right. I spent about three hours today just sanding and prepping parts. Then painted them with gloss black which is just going to be my primer essentially for the cf decals. Basically everything on an auto is painted before it's put together. You can cheat some an put some parts together like body panels and such so you can eliminate seams if need be but otherwise it's many small builds that you assemble at the end.

Anyway I shot some fluo red on the calipers tonight and I'm not really happ with the color. Not was I happy with clear red over the Alclad. So I guess we'll see tomorrow how it looks. Either way I need something I can accent the interior with along with more of the wheels.

Pics tomorrow hopefully if all turned out well.

Did you back the fluorescent red with white? Any fluorescent color needs a white primer first, otherwise it will take forever to build up enough color coats. Even with white you have to be patient and build it up slowly. Lots of mist coats or it will pull away from edges and into corners.

-Dave

No I shot it onto the metal. Didn't achieve the desired look. I may look for some different paint. Seen above in the wheel pic the calipers are like a pinkish red. Fluo not turning out close. I also tried a test of clear red but that didn't look right over the silver. I may try the clear red again over the fluo.

Not much I can do till my main cf decals get here so I've been playing around with the ones I have. With my last HLJ order I picked up a sheet of Kevlar and 1/43 hd cf decals from hobby design. First time I've ever used them. Here's the undertray so far. This is basically all artistic license since I doubt a picture exists of the underside of this car but whatever it looks cool. I'm going to add an aluminum foil section as well as leave some just painted black.

36F0DBED-7448-449A-8A5F-2D02F7550F12_zps7kwj6mgy.jpg

These cf decals are kicking my arse. Thankfully this is on the bottom so it's a good place to practice. The center section is still wet but the sides are dry and have revived lots of solvent and I still can't get those wrinkles to go away. Hopefully better results in center section.

0A81EA29-3367-471A-9600-1DB545DCF626_zpsmlemfpcf.jpg

2E8C6388-ECF4-47E3-97AA-54DE67AB976B_zpsnxcj5joc.jpg

I do like the look of this cf though.

Work small sections at a time, and use the heat from a light bulb to help shrink the wrinkles out while it is still wet. Add the heat slowly as it is very easy to burn through the decals.

-Dave

Yea I wasn't sure how these decals would react. They seem to slowly be going away. I think I may use an entire bottle of solvent just on this. It's the bottom of the car so this is more the test bed section. Plus I don't think there's any pieces that will be nearly as large as this anywhere else.

Fingers crossed.

Boy they sure do look like a real bear to work with! They'll be killer though when all is said and done. Certainly look the part :thumbsup: .

Good luck!

Regards,

Don.

Well, at least this is on the bottom. Just can't get rid of them anymore. Oh well I do like the nature of the look. Lol

7140D9B8-A5D7-40EF-A6BC-2C0E1BC9F9D1_zpsw8gjaunr.jpg

Wheel rings were very difficult as well. It may be the decals. But they turned out better than the undertray.

12E9E569-2DFC-4F9D-967D-2C45BC96A8F1_zpsysubfm9w.jpg

Soldiering on

Caved. Bought the studio 27 decal sheet for this car. My hope is that I can avoid actually using it and just use the templates to make my own decals since I've already done parts with my own. Either way this is turning into a 200$ model.

Wheels are done basically. Still need to add some future for a lil more shine. And continue trying to get the holes in the cf piece right. But otherwise they look ok. Hopefully the tire decals go on alright.

6816F2F7-4F90-49CE-AAC4-183C16C83A4B_zpsayxjrq1k.jpg

Diffusers a hot mess. I may sand it down and redo something to it idk yet.

BAD469A1-C4B6-48E5-8C6E-C1C9A96522AA_zpsls5hjvlh.jpg