My family and I were there at Carswell in the early 1960s and saw a B-58 land with one main only half extended just like in this video. I was about six years old. I'm not sure this video is the same emergency landing we saw. It was a long time ago but my memory is of the B-58 we saw landing in the opposite direction at dusk. I wrote to my folks to find out what they remember. Regardless, I think you'll find this interesting.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Also interesting that the EWO and NAV jettisoned their hatches prior to landing. I saw another B-58 emergency landing video (damaged main landing gear), same thing. Must have been a standard procedure.

Always liked the Hustler. If I had to pick one aircraft to be resurrected to flight status and put onto the airshow circuit, it would be the B-58.

Thanks for the link.

Also interesting that the EWO and NAV jettisoned their hatches prior to landing. I saw another B-58 emergency landing video (damaged main landing gear), same thing. Must have been a standard procedure.

Always liked the Hustler. If I had to pick one aircraft to be resurrected to flight status and put onto the airshow circuit, it would be the B-58.

Thanks for the link.

All three hatches were jettisoned as it was sliding, first the pilot's, then the Bomb-Nav's (2nd station) then DSO's (3rd station) but it's harder to see the pilot's go than the other two.

I think it's a shame more B-58s weren't saved for museums, and that at least one wasn't stored indoors before the windscreen glass started delaminating from sitting in the sun.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Looking at this again I noted that the Bomb-Nav slid down the rope and ran from the jet while the DSO and pilot both just stood up in their cockpits. A few seconds later it looks like the pilot took off his helmet and threw it down to someone in front of the jet.