Hey everyone. I recently finished up the big Airfix Typhoon, and wanted to see what can be improved on it. I used the Airscale cockpit placards, Barracuda wheels, and masked and painted all of the markings using the Maketar set. All critiques are welcome on this one so I can get better.

001_zpsauvqcbk4.jpg

002_zpsg1jfl0yi.jpg

003_zps1a7jxslu.jpg

004_zpsi4561hu1.jpg

006_zps4dl4zspq.jpg

010_zpsefhjojmj.jpg

011_zpstzk1ulxo.jpg

013_zpsvgengzb6.jpg

030_zpso8jthc8n.jpg

029_zpstoosbtpi.jpg

"...critiques... so I can get better." :jaw-dropping:

I've been building models since 1972, and I wouldn't mind giving a little constructive criticism. But your build leaves NOTHING in my mind but praise and enjoyment. Your painting and weathering skills are flawless, and your attention to detail (the worn rocket heads, the mud kick-up from the tailwheel, the mainwheel slippage markings) is fabulous.

Absolutely excellent. I've bookmarked this posting for my own reference on painting and weathering. :worship:

Congratulations. :thumbsup:

Ken

It's beautifully built, and the base paintwork is exceptional (especially the masking) *BUT*. . . i really do think the patchwork quilt panel shading lets it down, it just looks way too stark. It overwhelms the paintwork, almost the first thing that catches the eye rather than the great underlying paintwork. Just my opinion of course, but it kind of saddens me given the underlying quality.

A beautiful model to be sure. My only critique is that it is a little over-weathered in some areas for my taste, eg why are the rockets all chipped? They would come out of the crate, be loaded onto the plane and fly one, maybe two sorties before they would be fired.

It's beautifully built, and the base paintwork is exceptional (especially the masking) *BUT*. . . i really do think the patchwork quilt panel shading lets it down, it just looks way too stark. It overwhelms the paintwork, almost the first thing that catches the eye rather than the great underlying paintwork. Just my opinion of course, but it kind of saddens me given the underlying quality.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by patchwork quilt shading? It's not really a term I've heard before

A beautiful model to be sure. My only critique is that it is a little over-weathered in some areas for my taste, eg why are the rockets all chipped? They would come out of the crate, be loaded onto the plane and fly one, maybe two sorties before they would be fired.

The reason I did the rockets the way they did was because most of the reference photos I found of ordinance showed them pretty beaten up. It would appear that ordinance was usually stacked up on the edge of the airfield, and just left to the elements until it was used. Not sure if rockets are different, but I see that with bombs and fuel tanks all the time.

You've made a superb job of much of this, the engine especially looks fantastic, for me though, the preshading (I think that's what Drew means by patchwork) & riveting are a bit too obvious, imho of couse, I confess that I like my models relatively unweathered, I tend towards less is more, I'm also one of those 1/72 deviants so don't take too much notice of what I say. Regardless of my opinion, its an impressive model & the skills that you've used to achieve the effects you like are obvious to see.

Steve.

To the OP,

Your modelling skills, I feel, are beyond reproach or criticism. I honestly don't see how they can be improved upon. This is an exceptional piece of work IMHO. I believe that modelling at this level is truly art and as such, is very subjective. While your panel line weathering and rivet detail may be over the top for some, the overall effect is dramatic and very eye-catching. Again, it is all about personal taste at this point and, though I might prefer the weathering to be a bit more subtle, I certainly can't criticize what you have accomplished here. I want to see more!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

I agree on this one. There's no denying it's beautifully built and detailed, but to my eye too the panel shading and wash spoil the overall effect of a weathered aircraft.

The key here is to study the real aircraft very carefully. I'm yet to see a picture (or a real aircraft) that shows the area around every panel line shadowed in a darker colour (the patchwork quilt effect mentioned above,) nor every rivet/panel line visible. You're more likely to see random variations in paint tones, chipping and oil/fluid stains, but never every single panel standing out uniformly like this.

But, as others have said, it's each to their own and some will love this style of weathering, others not. At the end of the day it's up to the builder. There's no denying it makes for an eye-catching spectacle, but in my opinion not an very 'realistic' one :)

I think the weathering is spot on. Granted I like my builds dirty, but I sometimes struggle when people say that the "patchwork" preshading doesn't look realistic. There are a multitude of photos that show any aircraft in different stages of weathering. And the patchwork look happens just as much as the clean look. Example: note the panel lines of this F-16. Every panel line is almost uniformly weathered.

15394908782_6632e6b5b2_b.jpg

It's just a matter of when you decide to date your model. So for me, it looks extremely realistic and the weathering shows a heavily used aircraft before anyone has had a chance to wash or repaint it. The key here is the consistency in the overall weathering. Faded decals, and the same overall dirtiness display a consistent message.

Bravo Matt! Absolutely AWESOME build.

Edited by Crazy Snap Captain

That's a real triumph, Matt- cheers! I find the finish absolutely remarkable, and the effects beautiful. Wonderful work with the masks as well. What's next? That's my only question. :)

When you reach the top of the mountain, you can't go any higher. Beautiful job in evey aspect. Do you offer lessons on reaching this level of perfection? :woot.gif:/>

Ed

Edited by edward
  • 3 weeks later...

That's a real triumph, Matt- cheers! I find the finish absolutely remarkable, and the effects beautiful. Wonderful work with the masks as well. What's next? That's my only question. :)/>

Thank you very much Chuk. Means a lot coming from a master builder like you. Right now, it's a 1/32 Fiat Cr.42, and soon a 1/48 Typhoon in the same markings from Hasegawa.

Matt

Great stuff, love it I just added it to my wish list.

Thank you, glad you like the build. The Airfix Typhoon is a beautiful kit, even with the heavy rivet detail. The interior detail is wonderful, they included everything in it.

Matt

When you reach the top of the mountain, you can't go any higher. Beautiful job in evey aspect. Do you offer lessons on reaching this level of perfection? :woot.gif:/>/>

Ed

Haha, thank you Edward. Really glad you like the build. I don't happen to think I'm good enough to offer lessons, but I am happy that people like my build. This was a lot of fun, and I got to put a lot of work into such a large canvas.

Matt

Excellent finishing in every area: engine, loadouts or even entire aircraft. Good job!

Thank you for your great comments. Was my first time doing a lot of this weathering, and trying to weather rockets. They were fun to do, because apparently the rockets got very dirty in real life.

Matt