1/48 Kinetic F-16D Block 52+ Polish AF Viper

I just got this kit. I was wondering if anybody had any experiences they might have with this particular kit that they would like to share. Also, I found an Eduard PE set for it but does anyone know if anyone makes some resin update parts? Like seats, exhaust nozzles, etc.

Edited by AVGBob

Hello Bob,

recommended Resin AM for Kinetic Viper are wheels from Royal Resin (they have the special 52+ wheels, the front wheel is wider). Also Aires has wheel bays, nozzles, cockpits. The landing gear from Tamiya fits as well als SAC metal landing gear. Steel beach gives you the FOD if you want. Pitot tube and AOA sensors came from Master out of steel.

The issues are not very serious and the 52+ AFAIk has no nose drop problem anymore like the earlier Kinetic boxings. Just build careful, dryfit and so on...you will get a very nice detailed F-16!

Bob,

Wolfpack designs makes a resin cockpit for the F-16I that will also work for the 52+ D models. It's almost a straight drop in with very minimal cutting of the kit. Aires I've found requires grinding to the pulp of the kit to get them to fit. The kit seats sit weird in the kit tub, so using PE will still have an odd look.

I'd second the Royal Resin plug. Their wheels are excellent, and accurate for the type. Kit wheels are garbage.

That's just my opinion.

Mike

Yes, here is an example from Aires:

Aires nozzle

all the F-16 blocks ending with "2" share the same nozzle - just to make it short and not to confuse you.

When you want to go to town with the Viper so I super recommend some books from Jake Melampy: The early Viper Guide, and: The late Viper Guide! Also Danny Coremans "uncovering the F-16" is recommended!

Those books are my bibles when it comes to modelling the F-16! And once you are in, you will re-Viper again! Believe me...

Yes, here is an example from Aires:

Aires nozzle

all the F-16 blocks ending with "2" share the same nozzle - just to make it short and not to confuse you.

That's not entirely true. Block 32, 42 originally used F100-PW-220 engines with metal nozzle feathers, while block 52, 52+ and up-engined block 42 use F100-PW-229 with carbon fibre feathers. There are differences in construction between these nozzles. Aires better represents F100-PW-220 nozzle, although you can paint it dark grey (or apply carbon fible decals) and make it look more or less like F100-PW-229 nozzle.

Edited by Vodnik

Good to know. Thanks for the info everyone! As Columbo would say, "Just one more thing..." Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Wolfpack Design F-16I resin cockpit set? I have looked all the places I know and they are all sold out. I found the rest of the parts, including the Aires cockpit, but I would rather go with the one from WPD as recommended by longmc. Thanks again for all the help!