I'm not the most fluid writer in the world but here goes ;)

I want to extend a warm welcome and handshake to the visitors of this board. "Today's Birds" is meant to inspire and encourage modelers of all levels and ages, and all submissions to ARC will be commented on here, no one will be left out. Any critiques of flaws on the model are best left to the "Critique Corner", and only if the modeler in question submits his work on the Critique Corner. I hope for a kind, civil, friendly, laid-back, and enriching conversational environment where everyone is welcome.

Right now, the jingle from Cheers is playing in my head..."where everyone knows your name and always glad you came"...anyway, welcome and happy modeling!

Justin Davenport

Right now, the jingle from Cheers is playing in my head..."where everyone knows your name and always glad you came"...anyway, welcome and happy modeling!

Justin Davenport

NORM!!!!!

monketdance4.gif

-Kevin

Ah, yes, Norm, and all the other lovable barflies, even Carla. My mom watched Cheers regularly when it was on the air and I sometimes watched with her, it was a funny show, a good show. I think TV needs more of those shows and less reality TV, some of those shows are just too far out (who wants to marry a multimillionaire? - ugh).

Justin (watches far less TV now than he did before the internet came about)

Justin Davenport

NORM!!!!!

-Kevin

no,

JUSTIN!!!!!!

Said monketdance4.gif

I wouldn't mind marrying a millionaire! I'd quit my job and have more time for models! Although my wife might not like that idea....

That would probably depend on how much of it you shared with her. ;)

-Kevin

Guest Alvis

...and much like Cheers, there's always a Cliff character in the corner who knows that he knows it all. <_<

Good times, good fun, good friends...just don't make "Carla" mad!

Alvis

Any critiques of flaws on the model are best left to the "Critique Corner", and only if the modeler in question submits his work on the Critique Corner.

This is all well and good, but it's a shame that we've got to a stage where people are so fragile that constructive criticism (and note I say "constructive") can only be in one place. So if I'm really impressed by a submission, but also have some pointers to make, I need to post in two places.

Personally, I would think that most people who send stuff into one of the major modelling webzines realise that there is a large audience, and would also accept reasonable critiques of their models. I know *I* would (not that I get a lot built recently). At the end of the day, everyone learns a bit more, everyone gets the satisfaction of seeing their models on the web, and the knowledge level of the hobby increases, to the benefit of everyone. Ah well, I must be in the minority!

Maybe people need to put "constructive criticism welcome" at the end of their reviews.

Cheers,

Tim

• 4 months later...

:blink: Sorry Justin, just put an entry on the General page. Why is it that at Mid day on Wednesday in the UK we still have Tuesdays birds on show, when from the replies, others have got todays birds on show.

:o

Robin.

:o Hi Justin, I was not having a poke at you, but when I posted my message, 'yesterdays' Tuesdays heading was still up, and there was no Tiger mentioned. Didn't think there was a time lag between Canada and the UK, obviously there is. However, must not make adverse comments about an excellent site.

:blink:

Robin

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone here on ARC build an F-18, put a Black Box cockpit set into it, do some rescribbing on the kit and proceed to paint it hot pink??  The answer is yes.  Why??  Because the builder chose too, and he/she can.  Is it 100% accurate.  No, probably not.  BUT, if thats the way he/she intended to build it, then thats what counts.

Absolutely. But what a pointless argument. You know fine well that I am referring to constructive criticism of a model where the builder has tried to obtain a reasonably realistic representation of the prototype. I'm not talking about a person's choice in painting a Hornet pink if they want to.

Do you have to fill in seam lines on a model?  No.  In the long run, does it matter??  Probably not.  Its just a matter of choice.

When I was 10 I wasn't bothered about seam lines. But surely anyone who wants to progress would like to know hints for avoiding them? My first model since restarting the hobby has some lovely visible seamlines! I used the advice of others on numerous modelling sites (including ARC) to make them disappear for the next model. Who (honestly) would prefer to see a model with seamlines than one without?

In my humble opinion, criticism, whether it be constructive or not, doesnt encourage.  I think it rather discourages up and coming and novice modellers for the simple reason that they are being crtitsized.

Instead of offering "constructive" criticism, why not offer positive re-enforcment?

"Positive reinforcement" and "constructive criticism" go hand in hand.

I used to be so worried about others opinions when it came to my work that it would frustrate me to no end.  But, recently, I came to the realization that I am not building this model for "them", I am building it for myself.

OK. But if you choose to put a model on a website which is viewed by thousands, then you can reasonably expect some constructive critiqueing, no?

I feel that if you are going to critisize a model, constructively or otherwise, it might be best to just bite the old tongue and just say nothing.  This, afterall is a hobby.  Who are we to critisize others work?

For goodness' sake. What is suddenly so wrong with wanting to improve one's skills? I will never be more than a mediocre kit-assembler, but I still strive for improvement.

...different skill levels on this site (and there are) and to offer them a place where they can get recognition for there work without having to worry about someone picking apart their model looking for flaws

There is a massive difference between constructive criticism and "picking apart" of models. However, what is truly pointless is the constant "Great model!" posts for stuff which really isn't great. I've got some terrible models that I made as a beginner. Had I posted these and had loads of "Great model!" posts, that would suggest to me that I was building to a much higher standard than I actually was.

He demonstrates my point of positive re-enforcment every day in his "Today's Birds" posts

So every single model that appears on ARC is equally good and deserves equal praise and recognition as to the skill of the builder? Ah, OK. Now I understand.

If your entire existance in this hobby is to critisize and critique others work, then I think you are in the hobby for the wrong reason.

I'm in the hobby for enjoyment. That's why I restarted. However, I'd still like to learn from others about how to improve my skills. And genuine constructive criticism helps with that. Someone who attacks others' work as rubbish without offering suggestions on how to avoid problems is an ***, but someone who can offer genuine advice on how to avoid seamlines, decal silvering etc is a great help.

People don't need to put "constructive criticism welcome" at the end of their reviews for one reason.  They don't have too

Yes, they do, if they want constructive criticism.

If a person asks "what could I do to improve my next model", then yes, fire away.

Hence my "put 'constructive criticism welcome' " remark in my post. "What could I do..." is the same as "Constructive criticism welcome...". Blimey.

But if a person just posts pics on here and says nothing, that shouldn't mean open season in terms of picking out flaws.

Of course not. But if you're *only* posting stuff (whatever the quality) so that people can say "Wooo. Great" and cue smileys galore, then that's fairly pointless too. I could be wrong, but I think people know when a child is posting, and I cannot ever recall having seen nasty criticism in these cases. On the contrary, there has been great positive encouragement, and quite rightly so (on both this and other sites).

Remember, its just a hobby.  If it isnt 100% accurate, its not the end of the world.

Absolutely. Why do you feel the need to tell me "remember"?! I had never forgotten, and nowhere in my initial post did I say everything had to be 100% accurate. You are reading more into it than I wrote.

It's like the old saying goes..."Who died and made you referee??"

No need to get uppity, Colin. Nobody made me referee. I didn't claim to have the right answer. I attacked nobody. I simply stated that it was a shame that people had become so fragile that constructive criticism was taboo. Constant platitudes and equal praise for all diminishes the first class modelling that appears regularly on ARC.

Young or old, beginner or expert, I think most people are happy to learn a new technique (or an old technique!) to help them build better models. As I said, I build for enjoyment, but I like to get things *roughly* correct at the end of the day. I must be in the minority...

Cheers,

Tim

Hello all,

I have decided tonight, after some thought, to close this topic. I appreciate all the civil discourse here, and no one did anything wrong, no one is out of line. It's just that I don't want a long drawn out debate to detract from the focus of this board, discussing the daily submissions to ARC in a positive, friendly manner.

regards, and happy holidays,

Justin