Looking for a 1/72 OP-2E Neptune canopy

I´m planning to convert the "standard" 1:72 Revell/Hasegawa P-2 Neptune into an OP-2E. For this I need a different canopy, as you can see here:

image_175.png

Can anyone help me out or point me into the right direction?

HAJO

Yeah, found that set, however, with a price tag of 23 Euros (plus shipping!) at Hannants in UK I´m a bit reluctant to order it. That´s nearly twice as much as the kit has cost me...

HAJO

Yeah, found that set, however, with a price tag of 23 Euros (plus shipping!) at Hannants in UK I´m a bit reluctant to order it. That´s nearly twice as much as the kit has cost me...

HAJO

AFAIK, that's your only aftermarket option.

Regards,

Murph

HAJO

One for $14.00 here:

http://www.hpmhobbies.com/falcon-triple-conversion-7-neptune-sabre-avenger-kit-1-72/

Spent a lot of time looking for the earlier canopy but finally found it (triple conversion vac) at reasonable price.

"Reasonable", definition: After all this time that's as good a price as I'm likely to find.

Just have to wait it out--it actually doesn't get listed on eBay very often so may be a bullet bite.

Helps sometimes just to think of the difference in price and what you're willing to pay---sometimes it doesn't seem so bad if you think of that as "extra price" instead of the final bill. Also helps to never think about the price again or keep the receipt.

Falcon's vac includes TBM-3W (that guppy dome can be used on other types--AD, PB-1W, etc), and TF-86F two-seater.

I'm looking at mine right now---that's what it is.

Rich

A german forum directed me towards Airmodel, and it looks like this set has all I want for half the price I mentionend above:

http://www.airmodel.de/product_info.php?info=p121_firebee-ii---umbausatz-neptune-dp-2e.html

It even has some nice Firebee-drones I could use for other projects, and the radar for the C-130 may work as radar for the OP-2E.

HAJO

Well, that will be of minor concern for me (but thanks for pointing out!). I will have to remove the belly radar and make a flush belly... Last time I did that (when I built my AP-2E years ago) I simply covered the hole with a sheet of paper - looked like a charm!

But I will surely ask for more details and guidance as soon as I start this project, which is planned to be in the last quarter of the year with the Vietnam GB.

HAJO

Well, that will be of minor concern for me (but thanks for pointing out!). I will have to remove the belly radar and make a flush belly... Last time I did that (when I built my AP-2E years ago) I simply covered the hole with a sheet of paper - looked like a charm!

But I will surely ask for more details and guidance as soon as I start this project, which is planned to be in the last quarter of the year with the Vietnam GB.

HAJO

Also, give us a report on the fit of the AirModel canopy, please.

I have one of these in my "To Do" pile and will pick up either the Falcon or AirModel set for the canopy as well, I never realized the vast difference until seeing your post and looking at pics...it's like the difference between a bubble top and "Birdcage" on a Corsair! Glad I hadn't built mine yet.

On a side note, my wife's uncle was a flight engineer/gunner on those with VO-67, Crew 10 (aircraft MR10). The decals for his aircraft are depicted on the Wolfpak decal sheet. He has some great stories of their flights, they were flying through a valley once and had rocks dropped on them from above!

Edited by 82Whitey51

I've got both sets, and the Airmodel canopy does not fit very well. The Falcon canopy is a far better fit. I rather wish Falcon would offer both their P-2E and P-2H canopies as individual products.

There is/was also a C Scale OP-2E conversion as well(AC-32). It has the low profile -5 vac canopy metal nose radome: rear fuselage panel: 2 SUU minigun pods: 2 port ejector racks/2 starboard ejector racks: 4 wing pylons: 16 ASID sensors: whip aerial mount: 1 blade antenna: & the strike camera pod.

I have 2 of them and dug em out tonight. It's a pretty comprehensive set compared to the others given that it includes the gun pods/special wing racks and the ASID sensors them selves.

It's probably the best of all.

But it not a cheap 10.00 item !

Frank C

Edited by ThudDriver

Also, give us a report on the fit of the AirModel canopy, please.

I have one of these in my "To Do" pile and will pick up either the Falcon or AirModel set for the canopy as well, I never realized the vast difference until seeing your post and looking at pics...it's like the difference between a bubble top and "Birdcage" on a Corsair! Glad I hadn't built mine yet.

On a side note, my wife's uncle was a flight engineer/gunner on those with VO-67, Crew 10 (aircraft MR10). The decals for his aircraft are depicted on the Wolfpak decal sheet. He has some great stories of their flights, they were flying through a valley once and had rocks dropped on them from above!

=========================================================================================================================================================

PM me if you can and LMK if your going to the Chicopee show.

Frank

Thanks for all the input!

I hope I will be able to work with the canopy, even though it may be hard to get it fit.

I´m not definetely sure, but I think I actually picked "10" as the aircraft I plan to build. I already printed decals some years ago, just have to find them now.

If someone has close-ups of the minigun-pylons, I would be very grateful.

HAJO

:D, Hello Whitey,

Is that what the Vietnamese called a "tropical tree"? I watched a documentary taken from the Vietnamese viewpoint some years ago. The crew were interviewing former NVA officers about the war. They said that when the tropical trees were dropped they used to let them sit there for a couple of days then go and very gently move them several hundred metres away and then set up a small single cylinder generator or compressor a little distance away to simulate the sound and vibration of vehicular traffic. They said this was fairly effective in getting bombers to drop their bombs away from where their soldiers were living and working.

:cheers:,

Ross.

• 4 weeks later...

To touch base back on this subject for a sec...

I recently picked up the falcon Triple Conv. VII in order to get the canopy for an OP-2E also.

When comparing the canopy fit to the Hasegawa P2V-7 fuselage area there are some differences. The -7 has a slight rise on the fuselage just aft of the canopy and also the forward area where the canopy begins its rise up along the glare shield area, the shape is different.

What I may do, is use the Falcon forward fuselage as part of my OP-2E conversion. It will automatically address the difference in the bomb bay size as well as make the canopy area fit a lot nicer. I'll cut the forward nose area and join the Hasegawa nose so that I don't have to mess with cutting the bombardier side windows.

Pictures, pictures, pictures! ;)/>/>/>

HAJO

OK pics...

First, here is a look a Falcon's canopies for the Neptune. On the left a P2V-7 for the Hasegawa kit, on the right the one for the P2V-5 (OP-2E) for the Falcon conversion set. Not the best photo but you can see the differences in the canopy to fuselage join line:

IMG_0874_zpsfymtmjm8.jpg

Here are the fuselage comparisons, you can see the difference in the bomb bay placement. The line of tape around the cockpit area shows the difference in shapes. The forward tape line shows roughly where I'll cut and graft on the nose section:

IMG_0875_zpsmuzswbmw.jpg

Here you can see the rise behind the canopy of the P2V-7, should be flat for a P2V-5/P-2E:

IMG_0876_zpsjpsoxlld.jpg

• 6 years later...