I saw a post where Kitty Hawk is coming out with a UH-1Y. Just wondering what the differences are between the two? I was going to buy a Belcher Bits conversion set, but am curious as to what you rotorheads can tell me? Thanks in advance!

David

They are totally different aircraft. The Y has a totally different rotor head and blades. The sail and exhaust are different. There are 21 inches of additional length added to the fuselage between the pilots doors and the B pillar that houses avionics equipment. The tail is from the AH-1W. The tail rotor is a four-blade design. Etc., etc., etc...

I would wait for the Kitty Hawk UH-1Y. Based on their AH-1Z, it will be a great kit.

They are totally different aircraft. The Y has a totally different rotor head and blades. The sail and exhaust are different. There are 21 inches of additional length added to the fuselage between the pilots doors and the B pillar that houses avionics equipment. The tail is from the AH-1W. The tail rotor is a four-blade design. Etc., etc., etc...

I would wait for the Kitty Hawk UH-1Y. Based on their AH-1Z, it will be a great kit.

The 412 rotor is very different form that of the UH-1Y The UH-1Y/AH-1Z use a version of the 680 rotor system first developed for the LHX program. The fuselages are as different as Hueys get as well. Fairing for the tail skid are totally different. The skid tubes themselves are round in cross section on the 412 and square on the UH-1Y. The 412 is essentially a 212 with 4 blades and a different transmission housing.

Ray

Very different aircraft.

Also, the four-blade tail rotor isn't what you might think as a four-blade tail rotor. It's actually two 2-blade rotors stacked.

The tail boom is sort of from a W but not exactly. There were a few changes during the design. The Y and Z booms are interchangeable, but every tail boom you see on a Y and Z are new production booms as the W didn't fit exactly on the Y/Z. The old N boom was out and the new boom became part of the commonality. I think they can be made to fit in a pinch, but I think it would be highly unlikely to see a W boom go on a Y. The most noticeable change is the stinger.

All Y's, Y1 through Y12? were re-manufacured N models. Y101 and subsequent are all new build cabins. This was done because the USMC couldn't afford, at the time, to pull N's out of the fleet for re-manufacture. The decision was made to do a new cabin build on the Y. When Y101 was delivered, it was the first new military Huey to be delivered in 30 years.

Edited by SteveV22FE

The UH-1Y/AH-1Z use a version of the 680 rotor system first developed for the LHX program.

Kinda O/T, but is there any way to get the Y/Z or 680 rotor in 1/72? Just the rotor (and mast, I guess)?

Edited by K5054NZ

Kinda O/T, but is there any way to get the Y/Z or 680 rotor in 1/72? Just the rotor (and mast, I guess)?

I don't think there is a 680 rotor in 72. It was flown on a Bell 222 for the LHX program, but that was a one off bird. I think it will take someone making a UH-1Y or AH-1Z to get a 680 rotor in 72nd scale.

Ray

Thanks Ray. I'd like to build a version of the SuperTeam LHX proposal but the rotor is an obvious stumbling block.

For those comparing the 412 with the UH-1Y, the differences are a lot more obvious when looking at photos. You'd be better off starting with a 212/UH-1N...I seem to remember Italeri doing one in 1/48?

Edited by K5054NZ

Thanks Ray. I'd like to build a version of the SuperTeam LHX proposal but the rotor is an obvious stumbling block.

For those comparing the 412 with the UH-1Y, the differences are a lot more obvious when looking at photos. You'd be better off starting with a 212/UH-1N...I seem to remember Italeri doing one in 1/48?

In fact, the prototype UH-1Y was modified from a UH-1N. However, the production UH-1Y is very different even than the prototype.

Ray