Paint for "Blue Nose" P-51s?

It depends on what P-51 you want to build. Usually the NMF birds have a more dark blue, but the OD P-51 "Hell-er bust" has a more bright blue on the nose. So some have med blue, others have dk. blue.

Eagle strike recommends german imperial infantry blue (or FS 15052) and it had a reddish tint to it. This color was used on most D's arriving after sept. 1944. The med blue is USAAF blue 23 (or FS 15092) and very likely the early B's and D's may have recieved this color. The third color might have been an oxidation of these two colors. ES suggest you to add a drop or two of white or very light grey to the original shadeif you must depict this weathering process (FS 15182 -15087) (ES strike instructions quoted).

if painted in Britain it might have been Oxford Blue ???

is using US paints that would be Bright Blue or True Blue

(can't remember the exact ANA 500 series color number right now)

Really appreciate the info... which I knew was out there in abundance. I'm apt to go with one of the available colors just because I'll do one coat, put it down for 3 month and then t4ry to finish and and wonder what I used if I'd mixed it. This was a fun site I tripped over for finding and matching colors: http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/federalstandard

Yes, that site is very helpful. And so I saw that Humbrol 14 "french blue" is very close to Testors 1110 because here in germany I don't get Testors colors (only Model master).

Really appreciate the info... which I knew was out there in abundance. I'm apt to go with one of the available colors just because I'll do one coat, put it down for 3 month and then t4ry to finish and and wonder what I used if I'd mixed it. This was a fun site I tripped over for finding and matching colors: http://scalemodeldb.com/paintcharts/federalstandard

Great web site. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Yes, that site is very helpful. And so I saw that Humbrol 14 "french blue" is very close to Testors 1110 because here in germany I don't get Testors colors (only Model master).

Model Master True Blue (FS15102?) is pretty close to Testors 1110 blue. Not a perfect match, but very close.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

There was no such colour as "Elisabeth Blue." A few years ago, we had a P-51B or C painted up as "Princess Elizabeth," complete with blue nose that was matched to paint still extant on walls at the old Bodney site. The aircraft was transferred to the States, so might still be carrying the scheme.

Research done with the help of the Mosquito Museum, more than 10 years ago, matched the colour to Deep Sky, which Klaus (almost) matched to 35102, though he reckoned it needed a little black added. Another source said 15090.

Model Master True Blue (FS15102?) is pretty close to Testors 1110 blue. Not a perfect match, but very close.

Thanks Joe! FS 15102 from MM is in my paint stash! great!

It is quite dark, just to discuss if it looks good enough on a 1/72 or 1/48 model? I just say: scale effect...

Humbrol 14 is a bit more bright. Hmm...

It is quite dark, just to discuss if it looks good enough on a 1/72 or 1/48 model? I just say: scale effect...

Here's a 1/48 Tamiya kit I recently finished using MM 15102 on the nose, except the panel right under the exhausts. I think, but don't recall for certain, that the slightly lighter panel is in Testors 1110 Blue. Hope this helps your decision.

Blue often appears lighter in b/w photographs, which I think has led to modern interpretations of the blue-nose Mustangs that are too light. FWIW, here's another model (not a P-51 obviously) using MM True Blue against NMF.

GoshawkLeftFront.jpg