Another Kinetic Mirage III build

I intend to build several Kinetic Mirages so I'd like to pave the way for my future builds by writing some kind of roadmap. Perhaps some of you'll be interested.

Start by assembling and paint the cockpit and FLG bay. Too much paint left on brush during drybrushing, no biggy, I'll fix that. I didn't glue part E13 at this time: I'll insert it once that the fuselage will be closed as the part could eventually make gluing the fuselage halves difficult.

cockpitMLGbay.jpg

"Souris"(mouse; shockwave shape) parts of the intakes glued on the fuselage halves. Next time, I'll do more dry fitting and eventually shorten the locating pins a little so that the part isn't "spaced" from the boundary layer splitter. I didn't, I'll do it next time.

I intend to build a Mirage IIIE so I've glued the relevant nose halvesto the fuselage halves instead of assembling the nose cone first.This is to avoid a possible step at the nose-fuselage seam.

sourisPartNnose.jpg

I've glued the fin halves but not the rest of the fuselage halves together: this is to ease adjustment of components to be glued on (intakes) or in the fuselage

Gluing of the duct parts to the intake parts; nothing done about the ejector pin marks: they can't be seen. No puttying too as the seams line isn't very visible.

intakeDucts.jpg

Insertion of the cockpit tub. The tub is glued only in the blue box areas: I want parts to be able to move slightly at this point of the build.

cockpitGluing.jpg

I've glued the intakes. Because of panel lines and fasteners detailing onthe intake parts, I've glued the parts by capillarity from the Inside in order to avoid messing up the surface detailing withglue. Clamps are used to keep the intake parts and fuselage halves flush.

Gluing of the E3 (IIIE/EE/RD Doppler radome); no step with the nose cone halves nor with the fuselage. Glued in several steps.

nose.jpg

Edited by Laurent

Dryfit the top wing parts to the fuselage halves. Deepen the notchs to have a smooth top wing-fuselage half seams and glue (don't forget the anhedral

frontWingNotch.jpg

rearWingNotch.jpg

wingFuselageSeam.jpg

wingFusTop.jpg

wingFusBottom.jpg

Edited by Laurent

I intend to build a Mirage IIIE so I've glued the relevant nose halvesto the fuselage halves instead of assembling the nose cone first.This is to avoid a possible step at the nose-fuselage seam.

Yeah, that s a good way to go! Same when you build a long nose F-4 Phantom.

Nice to follow your WIP as the Mirage III E will be on my future list but think about to get the Wingman boxing.

Still have the Italeri IIIE in the stash...having that beautiful decal sheet for a french III in grey wearing a special scheme that I will do.

Edgesof the under wing part has been sanded (not quite enough) to avoidsteps at the junction with the top wing parts. The under wing partwas glued and held with three clamps per wing. Once the glue dried,clamps were used to hold the under wing intake "tabs" tothe intakes.

bottomWingAssembled.jpg

Seams aren't too bad

rightIntakeSeam.jpg

leftIntakeSeam.jpg

The seam inside the intake isn't too visible...

insideLeftIntake.jpginsideRightIntake.jpg

Intake lips are semi-circular but a drop of surfacer will be necessary for the edge.

frontRightIntake.jpgfrontLeftIntake.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laurent,

Nice info and helpful. I got really nice fit on my intakes following you approach. Still tinkering with my wings but getting there. Have you gone any further with your practice kit?

cheers

• 7 months later...