Atomic City 1/12 Mercury

Nicely done Aussie-Pete!

Is everything we see from the kit ... like the cabling behind the instrument panel and the various hardware inside the recovery compartment?

Any problems getting the decals to conform to the corrugations?

Will you enter it into contests? ... and don't be shy about posting more pix ... this is something I'd like to see more of ... :woot.gif:

Pete

Thanks Pete.

No not all is from the kit. I would not be much of an instrument fitter/Avionics tech if I didn't at least loom the instrument panel as much as I could.

Subject to wire gauge.

Recovery compartment has extra detail as far as parachute compartments and the parachutes. Still need some straps there.

I may add LES tower wiring later when I get a shot with good details of it.

Decals I used Micro set/sol and would encourage others to cut them into smaller pieces. But overall they look good. Had some bubbles I managed to fix.

Gave the whole model a coat of clear before applying decals then satin clear after. Gloss finish was way too much. Satin looks good.

Oh and if anyone else does this model. The whole LES is molded in red. I would suggest undercoating black before redoing red. The engine exhausts are black inside so makes them a little darker than the rest of the LES.

I'll do some more internal shots once I finished. Still a bit of looming to do. Just waiting on wire.

I must say there's not a lot in the way of close up colour photos of the Mercury.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh and if anyone else does this model. The whole LES is molded in red. I would suggest undercoating black before redoing red. The engine exhausts are black inside so makes them a little darker than the rest of the LES.

Very nice Friendship 7, and thanks for the above tip!

I must say there's not a lot in the way of close up colour photos of the Mercury.

I have a fair number of Mercury photos - are there any specific areas you are seeking?

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Almost done now as far as detailing. Just waiting on some 30AWG wire to loom up some more.

I wasn't real sure about the band around the recovery section. I've seen photos of it with silver tape and others where it's white. I made mine silver or bare metal.

Edited by Aussie-Pete