FMK new release 1/48 F-20A Tigershark

Turning a A-37 to a T-37 isn't any harder then converting a F-18A to a F-18E , BAE Hawk Mk1 to a T-45 or a E-3 to a KC-135.

So why all the complaining? Just bring out the styrene sheets and the putty and do it.. in the immortal words of Jezza Clarkson, how hard can it be? :-P

But ok, point taken.

Yes. The fuselage/engine/wing interface is very, very different, for starters.

No, the X-29 used an F-5A forward fuselage, F-16 main gear, new wing, new fuselage aft of the cockpit, new vertical tail, about the only thing it had in common with the F-20 was the F404 engine.

Ok, I havenĀ“t even started basic research on this yet, just a thought I had. Maybe a kitbash rear fuselage from the F-20, front from an F-5 and a lot of PC and putty in between. Or maybe I just wait until someone releases a new X-29 kit. :-)

Well, a really small corner of the American modelling market, anyway!

No sir! The Tweet is beloved world-wide. A recent poll was taken of 50 million Chinese modelers. When asked what kit they most desired, 49 million asked for a T-37!

More F-20s were built than many of the "Luft '46" concepts and yet people scarf those up in a heartbeat. Like others have said here, I've got a soft spot in my heart for the F-20. I built the Monogram version of it back in the '80s and I think it was one of my best kits from my yoot. I'd love to see either Monogram or this other company come out with one. I'd snap it up.

Eric

PS. I wholeheartedly agree that thank God it's not another Nazi plane or Spitfire.

Well, a really small corner of the American modelling market, anyway!

Kind of reminiscent of all the clamoring for a 1/48 A-5, isn't it?

I'm a little disappointed that nobody wanted to play FMK FMK, though. Me?

F: F-20. It's sexy and cool, but ultimately was just a flash in the pan.

M: X-47, because it's the future, and will be around for a long time - stability.

K: FREMM, mostly because I'm just not into ships.

Next up, FMK: Kitty Hawk, Trumpeter and Kinetic. ;)

A new tool F-20 is nice but YOU all missed the boat on a missing 1/48 kit that needs a new tool. How about an accurate and nice 1/48 T-33/F-80 family series. Now that could cover a lot of bases! And there isnt a decent T-33 in 1/48!! Hobbycraft screwed the pooch back in the 90's...after that we have the ancient Hawk tooling which aint bad at all. but a new treatment in 21th C/. tooling would be nice to see!

Now on the 1/48 F-80 front-the Monogram kit is long in the tooth and the new re-pops are really showing there age in the molds. We wont even talk about the new 1/48 Hobbyboss kit ..Which BTW I am combining with a Monogram kit for shits and giggles and see what I get LOL

Steve,

The T-37 was the USAF's primary jet trainer from the mid-1950s through the early 2000s. Every single USAF pilot trained during that time trained on the T-37 (including the ones who flew the three F-20s). It was flown by a number of foreign air forces for an equally long time.

If that doesn't make it worthy of the attention of a kit manufacturer, I don't know what would.

Edited by Jennings
... we plan to bring the market something that has not yet been achieved. .... you will say to yourself, "Of course! How come no-one else has done this?"

Finally - an FJ-3 Fury!!! :woot.gif:

Hopefully the F-20 will be a success and provide capital for the Fury.

Gene K

The T-37 was the USAF's primary jet trainer from the mid-1950s through the early 2000s. Every single USAF pilot trained during that time trained on the T-37 (including the ones who flew the three F-20s). It was flown by a number of foreign air forces for an equally long time.

If that doesn't make it worthy of the attention of a kit manufacturer, I don't know what would.

So what? So far there's like 25 or 30 people on the ARC forums who seem to want a T-37. If there's money to be made then a manufacturer will produce it. They aren't dumb.

I personally have no interest in a T-37. It seems boring to me so I won't pay for one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

The old Monogram F-20s regularly sell for $40+ on eBay so there's definitely a market for the F-20s.

And btw, I'm pretty sure F-20 pilot Chuck Yeager didn't train on the T-37.

Every single jet pilot of the RCAF/CAF Trained on the CT-114 Tutor during that period. It also served with multiple air forces and is a bigger, faster jet. So where's the modern kit of that aircraft?

Edited by RiderFan

So what? So far there's like 25 or 30 people on the ARC forums who seem to want a T-37. If there's money to be made then a manufacturer will produce it. They aren't dumb.

I personally have no interest in a T-37. It seems boring to me so I won't pay for one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

The old Monogram F-20s regularly sell for $40+ on eBay so there's definitely a market for the F-20s.

And btw, I'm pretty sure F-20 pilot Chuck Yeager didn't train on the T-37.

Agreed with Fly-n-hi.. I also have no interest in a T-37 and I doubt I ever will.

If I had my own company and was producing kits, I wouldn't make one either because I feel it's a boring subject. It's MY choice what I want to produce, and I'm not forcing anyone to buy it.. It surprises me when manufacturers announce projects and people complain about it..

I just snagged one of those Monogram F-20's today and will definitely grab a bunch when FMK releases theirs biggrin.gif

Edited by glorystomper

I'm not going to highjack the post and turn it into an argument about we we need a 48th scale T-37 vs a new F-20. I like the idea of a new F-20 and I look forward to a up to date tooling of it. Its a sexy plane. Even though there where only 3 built in the model world it has been a great seller and the what if crowds are going to eat it up.

As for the T-37, Form the 60's till up to a few years ago every USAF pilot and more than a few pilots from other Nato nations flew learned flying in a T-37. As it was said 1200 where built and there and many many decal options. The ARMY even had 3 of them and they where once considered for use by the Thunderbirds and it was also used by two other aerobatic teams.

Now I will admit that it one came out, it wouldn't fly off the shelves like the F-20 will, and it may not be a good kit for a new model company to do since the company needs a quick return on their investment were as a T-37 may take a but longer. I love the T-37, but its not sexy, its not fast but some of us have a connection to it and it does hold a place in aviation history.

On a side note, WE are long over due for a new T-33 and I can tell you for sure that a new kit is being developed , weather it sees the light of day, I'm not sure. But at least there are people thinking about.

Edited by Vince Maddux

Ok, I havenĀ“t even started basic research on this yet, just a thought I had. Maybe a kitbash rear fuselage from the F-20, front from an F-5 and a lot of PC and putty in between. Or maybe I just wait until someone releases a new X-29 kit. :-)

Or get a copy of the old Fine Scale Modeling issue that had plans and instructions on making an X-29 out of an F-5, F-16 and the exhaust from an F-18. Even the aft fuselage shapes are different from the F-20, so there is really no point in using one in an X-29 project. Get a Kinetic F-5A, an F-16 of your choice for the main gear and possibly the gear bay (I want to say the X-29 had a longer gear bay than an F-16, and so the guy who made one for FSM scratched at least part of the bay, but not sure on that...), an Aires F404 burner can, lots of plastic sheet and putty, and away you go!

On a side note, WE are long over due for a new T-33 and I can tell you for sure that a new kit is being developed , weather it sees the light of day, I'm not sure. But at least there are people thinking about.

I whole heartedly agree, a nice new T-33 would be most welcome. The fact that you kinda know a cousin of a friend's brother is pretty good :) I can now stop stocking up on the HC T-33 and wait. Hope I live that long.

Hmmmm T-33.

Perhaps a cooperative with RiderFans decals for those?

I believe that Trumpy is releasing the Dragonfly. Is that not close to a T-37? I don't think anyone will touch those in anticipation that Trumpy will do them.

Freedom Model Kits EU

Edited by loki

I think a new tool F-20 will sell well; and it is a good choice for a young kit company's initial releases list. I would be thrilled to see a new-tool T-37 or T-33 kit, but understand how it is not a better choice at this point in FMK's journey. I wish success (and best of luck) to Martin and the FMK team!

Edited by KursadA