True Details or Verlinden?

Hi guys!

I'd like to work on my Revell 1/32 Corsair next. I'm generally not one to use aftermarket sets but I might be tempted to try one for this big kit. With the canopy open, it'll be easy to see the "office", as it were.

That being the case, what are your thoughts between the True Details set vs the Verlinden set? Does one company have better detail? Too much detail? Not enough? Is one more accurate? I used to get the True Detail resin wheels for my planes but I've since stopped since I don't really care for how they make them look so deflated. I was wondering if the disappointment carried over into the cockpit sets.

Thanks!

Eric

I used the Lone Star Models resin set in my Revell F4U build and was real pleased

with it. Noticed that Mike has it back in stock. I had the Verlinden set but

sold it. Have used the Verlinden P-51 set and it worked well. Between Verlinden

and True Details I'd go with Verlinden.

http://www.lonestarmodels.com/Conversions-1-32.html

Cheers,

Jerry

I used the Verlinden cockpit when I built that kit a while back. It was a pure gem. Fit like a dream and was super detailed. I got it in such a way that the control stick even moves since I didn't have to glue it in. It was seriously the best part of building that kit.

I also added flaps, pe, and wheel wells. Those were not as good experiences.

End results turned out ok though and I was proud of it. I can probably dig up pics if you'd want of the cockpit.

Thanks for the responses, guys! I didn't even realize Lone Star offered the Corsair cockpit. That was interesting to hear. Not too long ago I ordered some stuff from Mike. I was looking for some 1/48 items and I guess I had tunnel vision while on his web site so I missed the Corsair cockpit entirely.

I don't feel bold enough to drop the flaps on this kit so I'm just going to have them in the "up" position. Personally I love the Corsair when the flaps are down but oh well. The plane looks good no matter what, right? :woot.gif:

Eric

The flap kit I had (which was maybe aires?) was a dream. Just cut and paste basically. The wheel wells though were a different animal all together. Had to thin them to next to nothing to get the wings to close.

Edit:: maybe the flaps weren't as drop fit as I thought. Found my build thread and read through it. Sadly I deleted the pictures a while ago when I ran out of space on my photobucket account.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=220154&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I've come a long way in 5 years

Edited by Bigasshammm

The pics would have been interesting to see! I'm kicking around the idea of getting the Verlinden cockpit but I'm waffling on that. On the one hand, I'm not sure how I feel about spending more on a cockpit than I did on the entire plane. On the other hand, the pictures I've seen of the Verlinden set sure do make it look purty!

I'm also thinking of doing the cockpit just straight out of the box, sort of like a nostalgia build. I still remember my dad building the big Baa Baa Black Sheep Corsair for me back around 1977 or '78 when I was around 7 or 8 years old. My dad built it straight OOB and I might just do the same. I dunno...we'll see.

Thanks!

Eric

FWIW, my experiences with Verlinden is they're better with armor stuff than aviation. I tried three Verlinden sets for 1/48 kits; the Revell BF-110G, Monogram B-17G and Tamiya FW-190D-9. Much of the BF-110 parts were not an improvement over the kit parts (although the open nose gun bay was nice), the FW-190 set was tricky to work with (compared to the Aires set) and the B-17 set while having nice turbochargers were rather hypothetical with the nose compartment details and came with German gun barrels to replace the .50s. Not to mention their VERY thick photo etch copper.

In my experience and given the option, I would go with True Details. Some of their cockpits I've used are rather simple, but sometimes that's nice.

Ken

I compared the Aires, Black Box (True Details) and Verlinden cockpits side by side some years ago. In my opinion the Verlinden cockpit was the best. It was the most detailed, and I believe the most accurate. It also had the most parts. Black Box was second. I'd definitely recommend the Verlinden. They can sometimes be hit and miss but their F4U-1 cockpit is one of their best.

The one thing I'd suggest for any of these cockpits is looking at adding either separate instrument decals or an Eduard PE instrument panel.

Having never heard of Lonestar before I looked at their home page. Do they only have large scale or do they do 1/72nd and 1/48th? I sure could use some of those reventment panels.