Need help locating info

So I work in the Canadian arctic, where I am one of many who helps support the North Warning System, formerly known as the "DEW-Line". Anyway, at one of the sites we go to, there is a piece of aluminum, a crumpled piece of fuselage that has the following stenciled on it:

C-123B

54-638A

I did a google search but came up with an airplane that is at Warner Robins in Georgia (I believe), and my searches reveals no crash at the location where I found the piece of fuselage.

Incidentally, Breevort Island, a small island of the eastern side of Baffin island.

Anyway, any help would be awesome!

Regards

Harald

The tail number doesn't seem correct. There shouldn't be a letter at the end. It appears to me that tail numbers on C-123 Providers have a two digit year of production identifier of 54, in this case 1954, then it should be followed by four digits of the aircraft serial number. To me it is strange that there would be a letter identifier instead of a number at the end. Are you positive the number ends in an A? Could it possibly be a number that the elements maybe obscured? Keep in mind I am hardly an expert on the subject. Just looking through the Internet, I haven't found any tail numbers that end with a letter. That being said I'm sure someone else will.

the number is very clear, but I didn't have my camera to take a picture of it, and it is from the nose of the aircraft not the tail, it is in 1 inch stencil letters, in black. I was also curious about the A at the end.

I did google it several ways, but never got the answer I was looking for.

Edited to add: The one at Warner Robbins is 54-0633 NOT 0638. However, I have searched around and not been able to find anything at all.

The site where the accident happened is called Brevoort Island, site BAF-3 in the North Warning System, and used to be called RES-X-1 under the DEW line days...

Cheers

Harald

Edited by Winnie

Latest info, flew to the site specially... lol. (But no I didn't).

Accident sometime between May and September 1956 at "Site 42" later to become RES-X-ONE on part of the DEW Line. Landing incident or accident, if anyone can help with more research. (If not CAT A or B Accident)

The "A" Appears to be applied with marker.

Large piece:

20150319_111335_zpsmycvbdke.jpg

Small piece

20150319_111301_zpsrirpfqlk.jpg

The smaller piece looks remarkably like theTthunderbirds paint, but I can't believe that.

Cheers

Harald

As for the A in the serial, from Joe Baugher's site:

For a few years during the late 1940s and early 1950s, the serial number displayed in the Technical Data Block often carried a suffix letter, which was not actually part of the official serial number. Five letters were used--A for US Air Force, G for US Army, N for Air National Guard, R for Air Force Reserve, and T for Reserve Officers Training Course (ROTC)

Quite a mystery, this plane.

Almost certainly not a Thunderbird aircraft. The team used 4 different C-123Bs for support between 1958 and 1961. Two of them were 40671 and 40672.

Two of the four were lost in crashes. One on October 9, 1958, at Payette, Idaho, killing 19 people. Another,(40672), was lost on September 24, 1961, at Wilmington, North Carolina, with the loss of 3 people.

Edited by yardbird78