1/48 Algerian Su-7 BMK diorama

All,

Posting here after a long hiatus. Recently completed 1/48 Su-7BMK in Algerian marking. Used the decals that came with the kit and Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics paints for the camo. Included the JATO bottles. Please let me know how you like it. Pilot figure is from CMK and the Crew cheif from an old monogram kit I think.

IMG_1359_zpstu25rwl1.jpg

IMG_1360_zps0cihq96b.jpg

IMG_1358_zps4vuabkwp.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsuok5e8ds.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsnlilazuv.jpg

IMG_1363_zpsospynvns.jpg

IMG_1364_zpscdgcukfq.jpg

IMG_1365_zpso7xpd3ml.jpg

IMG_1356_zpsdkdv6jsx.jpg

Thanks

Vivek

• 3 weeks later...

All,

Posting here after a long hiatus. Recently completed 1/48 Su-7BMK in Algerian marking. Used the decals that came with the kit and Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics paints for the camo. Included the JATO bottles. Please let me know how you like it. Pilot figure is from CMK and the Crew cheif from an old monogram kit I think.

IMG_1359_zpstu25rwl1.jpg

IMG_1360_zps0cihq96b.jpg

IMG_1358_zps4vuabkwp.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsuok5e8ds.jpg

IMG_1351_zpsnlilazuv.jpg

IMG_1363_zpsospynvns.jpg

IMG_1364_zpscdgcukfq.jpg

IMG_1365_zpso7xpd3ml.jpg

IMG_1356_zpsdkdv6jsx.jpg

Thanks

Vivek

Nice! The Algerian Fitter is on my hit list in 1/72nd scale. Thanks for sharing ;0) Fred K.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Lovely build and 'scenario': very good background, and figures. Your Sukhoi is excellently built too: as such, the only thing I'm missing on it would be cannon tubes.

Most importantly: you've even got two important 'distinguishing' details about Algerian Su-7BMKs right. They had no rear-view mirror on the top of the cockpit, but four underwing pylons. Excellent work here.

I'm affraid you've been left down by your sources of reference for camo, markings and weaponry, though - and that's really breaking my heart: then your painting is actually excellent too, and would've deserved a good source of reference, so you could paint your excellent built authentically.

Namely, Algerian Su-7s were originally non-camouflaged: i.e. paints were applied after their arrival in Egypt, between 12 and 14 October 1973. The colours applied by Egyptian ground crews were the same as used on most (although not 'all') of Egyptian Su-7BMKs too: beige (BS381C/388), olive green and black-green (BS381C/298) on top surfaces, plus light admiralty grey (BS381C/697) on bottom surfaces.

(I have no clue who came to the idea to declare Algerian Su-7BMKs for painted in 'brick red and dark green', but the person in question just couldn't get it more wrong.)

Furthermore, vertical axis of roundels applied on top (and bottom) wing surfaces was always pointing straight ahead, with the green field always on the outter side.

Finally, weaponry: due to incredibly thirsty engines and minimal fuel load, Su-7s were always short on fuel. And since most of combat ops during the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War were of the 'one pass, haul fool' type, no 'mixed' weapons loads - like bombs and rocket pods - were carried. Usual load of Algerian Su-7BMKs during that war consisted of four FAB-250M54s, or FAB-250-230s, or FAB-250M62s.

Overall: again, your work is excellent, please have no doubt about this. It's the sources of reference for colours and markings you might want to throw out the next window.

Tom

I take it that what you say about the Algerian Su-7BMKs weapon loads would apply as well to the Egyptian Su-7BMKs during that war.

But what about Egyptian Su-7s say in the 1976 time frame after they had been resupplied; would they still be carrying a non mix of weapon types on missions and would the bombs still be FAB 250s? I would like to load up an Egyptian Su-7BMK with an "interesting" load but still want to be accurate.

Thanks for any info on the subject

Jim Barr

It was the same, i.e. all weapons were same.

Keep in mind: Egyptians were crucial for further development of the Su-7BMK already since 1967. The type arrived there (starting in early 1967) with a host of 'teething problems'. The issue of it having only four hardpoints was solved through addition of two extra underwing pylons (at least on Egyptian and Algerian examples; Iraqi Su-7BMKs have got these extra pylons only after the 1973 War). Lack of rear-view mirror was solved by addition of one. That of the type happily sucking any kind of FOD it could only get into its intakes too (through addition of deployable grills inside intakes). Nifty S-3K unguided rockets (originally loaded in 'batteries' of seven on each of four original hardpoints), which were falling apart whenever fired, was solved by the use of UB-16-57 pods instead. Lack of effectivenes (i.e. 'punch') of S-5K rockets fired from these pods was solved through use of bombs calibre 250, and then 500kg.

But, such problems like lack of internal fuel capacity could not be solved and were never solved - because there was just no space for any additional tanks inside the fuselage or the wing. Addition of the 5th and 6th hardpoint 'helped' only in so far that it enabled the aircraft to be loaded with two drop tanks (usually under the fuselage) in addition to four weapons (instead with only four weapons, or four drop tanks, as at earlier times).

Correspondingly, when they went into the war against Libya, in July 1977, Egyptian Su-7BMKs were still suffering from the same enurance problem like 10 years earlier.

Because of that, the few strike ops flown during that war saw them still carrying either four FAB-250s (or likes) or four FAB-500s (or likes), or four of their indigenous 'Dibber' (anti-runway) bombs.

BTW: Egypt didn't receive a single replacement aircraft from the USSR during and after the October 1973 War. The last batch of Su-7BMKs was delivered to the EAF in 1970-1971 period (apparently, these were aircraft from a large Iraqi order, which the Iraqis refused to collect because of their disapointment with the type). Correspondingly, there were no 'resupplies' as of 1976: Egyptians flew whatever survived the October 1973 War with Israel, plus Saudi-paid Mirage 5s ordered in early 1973, and delivered in 1974-1975 period.

Hope, that helps?

Tom

Thanks, very informative as usual.

When I mentioned resupplied I was talking about replenishment of munitioned expended during the war and I was wondering if the Soviets "cleared" anything different after the war that they had not given them before or if "lessons learned" had brought about any changes. The Dibber sounds interesting.

Best Regards

Jim

Edited by Jim Barr

There were massive problems with Soviets re-supplying Egypt with ammo already as of 1968. Namely, Moscow was insistent on maintaining status quo, not in enabling Egypt to start another war with Israel. Correspondingly, they simply refused to deliver more than what was necessary for 2-3 days of intensive fighting - at most.

When Egyptians presented their first plan for a counterattack over the Suez Canal and into Sinai to Soviet advisers, in 1971, Soviets blamed them of lying and exaggerating about necessary amounts of ammo...

That was - between others - the reason why Egyptians launched their own production of all sorts of bombs and rockets of Soviet design, ranging from FAB-50s, up to FAB-500M62s, napalm bombs (which Soviets never delivered to any Arab country before early 1980s), and those Dibber bombs. All of these were in plentiful supply by 1973, and all from Egyptian manufacture (BTW, it was Egyptians who designed those 800-litre drop tanks for MiG-21s as are 'standard' on MiG-21bis, for example; Egyptians also developed larger variants of RTP-drop tanks for Su-7s as later used on Su-22s, Su-25s etc too)

Even then Soviets continued refusing to re-supply Egyptians, and that was then the reason why Sadat kicked Soviets out of Egypt, in June 1972.

Sure, Moscow subsequently attempted to soften Sadat by deliveries of Su-17s (in 1972), Su-20s (in 1973), and MiG-23s (in 1974), but by then relations to Cairo were already completely ruined.