Eduard's 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk.IX

Looking good Joel.

A nice save and the rewards are evident. I think John needs to do some more marketing, the most oft question I also get is "Where did you get that stand?" LOL.

Regards,

Kent

Kent,

More like a lucky save if you ask me.

I only found UMM-USA through another modeling friend, and the stand from my brother who got it from I think the old Squadron.

Joel

Awesome results, Joel!

Ya..that John Voltsomethingsomething...He's got some seriously great customer service. I queried about some items and he left a voice-mail on my phone that went on for minutes and minutes. Crazy guy!

Shaka HI,

He even sends me thank you notes with my orders. And it's not like I'm a steady month order. More like a few times per year at best.

Joel

Joel that camouflage is very crisp and well done. It looks great now but once you get the markings on it...it will look amazing. Kudos :thumbsup:.

Regards,

Don.

Joel that camouflage is very crisp and well done. It looks great now but once you get the markings on it...it will look amazing. Kudos :thumbsup:/>.

Regards,

Don.

Don,

Thank you so much for your most positive comments. It means a lot to me that you guys stop by and like what I've accomplished so far.

Joel

Progress continues at my slow but steady pace.

After painting the rear fuselage band, I masked the leading edges of both wings and air brushed on Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow. Next was the red tape that covers the MG ports. In sanding the leading edges, I had sanded off the molded raised plastic that represented tape, as I wanted to try making them myself. Using 1/8 inch masking tape I cut 1/4 inch sections, then painted them with a Red marker pen. The final effect really does look the part.

I just dry fitted the prop and spinner to get a better overall effect.

DSC_1830.jpg

DSC_1834.jpg

Next up is a little more detail work, then Glosscoat and decaling.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Joel, I am so happy that this project has been coming together for you so well. It looks fantastic! I am sure it's a nice vindication from the P-47 "fiasco" for you. I am eagerly looking forward to the markings stage.

-Mark

Joel, I am so happy that this project has been coming together for you so well. It looks fantastic! I am sure it's a nice vindication from the P-47 "fiasco" for you. I am eagerly looking forward to the markings stage.

-Mark

Mark,

Never thought of it as a Fiasco, but it does perfectly fit. I'm certainly over the hump now, and working on decaling, so that weathering can start later this week.

I'm on vacation this week, and I was hoping to get a log of bench time, but it seams that my loving wife has other ideas. Tomorrow starts painting trim and doors. :boohoo:/>

Joel

Joel Spitfire is looking very good so far but thought I would pass on an idea as to the gun opening tapes for a future build. I work in 1/72 and haven't tried this in 48 but suspect it would work also. I drill out the gun holes and use red decal strips over the holes such that the decals conform into the holes somewhat and really look like "taped" over holes. Just a thought for a future build, don't touch what you've done here. Just keep rolling with the build....

Cheers

Bruce

Joel Spitfire is looking very good so far but thought I would pass on an idea as to the gun opening tapes for a future build. I work in 1/72 and haven't tried this in 48 but suspect it would work also. I drill out the gun holes and use red decal strips over the holes such that the decals conform into the holes somewhat and really look like "taped" over holes. Just a thought for a future build, don't touch what you've done here. Just keep rolling with the build....

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for stopping by and liking my efforts to date. I do like your idea as the tape certainly would be more in scale. Will certainly try it the next time I need too.

Joel

Great work Joel! It's great to see the yellow ID panels and the other little touches coming together.

K5054NZ

Thanks for stopping by and appreciating my most modest of efforts. As of dinner time tonight, I've finished the decaling, and now I'm starting on the stenciling. There's a full 1/2 decal sheet of stencils, so it's going to take a few days to apply most of them.

Joel

Looking forward to seeing your Spitty all dressed up in her markings Joel. Good luck :thumbsup:/> !

Regards,

Don.

Don,

Thanks.

Will be posting a few pictures of my decaling effort later today, then a better set once the stencils are all applied.

Joel

Well, I'm on my 1st of 3 weeks vacation, and this one is dedicated to catching up on home repairs, and painting. Today I finally finished the hallway trim and all the doors. So by noon it was back to the workbench for the rest of the day as I had the house to myself.

With the majority of the painting done, I glossed the Spit Mk.IXc airbrushed with Glosscoat as I still prefer it over Pledge. The Eduard kit comes with decals by Cartograf, so you know that they're perfect, and a 2nd sheet of stencils done in house. I must say that the stencils were also thin, and behaved just as if they were made by Cartograph. I did limit the stencils on the topside to those that I could actually read.

The Cartograf decals have very little clear film around them but the "FY" is one decal, and I prefer to lay the letters one at a time, so I did have to do some trimming. My decal method is still Microscale Set (Blue) under and over as a wetting agent, then Microscale Sol (Red)as a setting agent, then Solvaset as the final setting agent. I've found that this method really makes the decals lay down into all the nooks and crannies like they were painted on. At this point there is no gloss overcoat on any of the decals to help blend them into the paint.

DSC_1835.jpg

DSC_1837.jpg

Here's a close up of the side of the fuselage, and you really can't see any flash or silvering.

DSC_1838.jpg

Eduard stencils included individual decals and logos for each prop blade. There small size made it a real challenge to keep them all straight. They also included two sets of marking between each blade.

DSC_1836.jpg

the main wings have the wings walks as 3 separate pieces plus both Walkway stencils. They laid down perfectly.

DSC_1841.jpg

Next up is the decaling on the bottom side.

Joel

Hey Joel, the topside markings look great using the method you describe. I haven't ever used Solvaset. Is that solution "hotter" than the Microsol? I may have to try some. Your method really looks clean and I want that "painted on" look too when I get there. Really looking the part now.