RA-3B Skywarrior in 1:72, Hasegawa

No, you´re not... ;)

You wrote "we´re listening", but you propably meant "we´re reading". Anyway, great to have some other guys beeing able to follow our german conversation - looks like we´re a world language as well! ;)

HAJO

Gear is mounted and the aircraft is sitting on its own legs. All small parts have been attached, I just left the engines off so far to make painting easier for me.

IMG_5422_zpsbdkfkwzx.jpg

I already painted the wing bright grey, using Revells 371. It´s very close to the original color which looks almost like white with a drop of grey in it.

IMG_5421_zpscwtqs0bv.jpg

Now the next task will be to work on the clear parts and sand away two frames.

HAJO

Yes, we are reading but we have a phrase "we're listening" and I was watching TV last night where some coppers (let's keep the Brits in on this) on stakeout talked with the mike open.

Hoped you'd enjoy that!

Anyway, did you have any problems joining the fuselage halves or getting the main gear wells to fit?

Looks like the filler for the camera blisters is still there but there is what looks like wing shadow.

Will you paint the fuselage 371 also?

Do you know the Humbrol, Testors equivalents?

Gut aussehen!

I had some minor fit issues just behind the cockpit on the upper side of the fuselage, and I think I should have used some filler on the front gear well - but since you usually can´t see the underside, I just left it as it is. The fuselage is spot on there, just the "box" for the gear has a small gap to the main body of the aircraft on one side.

Yes, I will paint the fuselage with 371 as well, I just started with the wings so I can grab my model during the second part of the painting process. I forgot to add that I poured some drops of Revells clear matt no. 2 into the 371 since I wanted it to be fairly matt as well - additional coats of color stick better when brushing them on matt surface instead of a shiny one.

Unfortunately I don´t know any Humbrol or Testors equivalents, at the moment I use only Revell acryllics (I had a long phase when I used enamels, but stopped that to be able to paint in our living room without having trouble with SWMBO). I´ll keep you updated about the two other greys I´ll be using.

HAJO

Creating new frames for the canopy worked quite well. I sanded them off and finally "glued" some small strips of chocolate bar paper on the new positions, using some future.

IMG_5424_zps6t4tieyk.jpg

IMG_5423_zpsw7mta8af.jpg

Until yesterday evening the bird was simply light grey:

IMG_5425_zpsvdqunnfe.jpg

What I did then I will show you in a couple of hours.

HAJO

Great work, the Whale is one of my favorite aircraft. I really like the details you put into this.

BTW, if you are interested, Osprey just released a very nice book on the A-3 in Combat. Well worth getting it if you are a fan of this aircraft.

I finished the camoflage with Revell 74.

IMG_5435_zpsaeqxgvhr.jpg

The camoflage on the sides of the aircraft looks good, but I´m somehow not so happy with the upper side. One main problem was that the instructions I used for painting, the Furbal Decal-set instructions, do have some flaws. It´s mostly noticable when colors on one side of the aircraft don´t match with the scheme on the other side. Also the oiriginal aircraft does have some different layout...

Anyway, it looks quite interesting now.

IMG_5434_zps71p1fg2k.jpg

Now I will attach the engines, the canopy and fix some minor things and then it´s time for decals!

HAJO

Some close-ups of the canopy. I wonder a little bit why the pilots are sitting that low - maybe I should have raised the seats a little bit?

IMG_5437_zpsjecbgrxs.jpg

IMG_5438_zpslgyi0cgk.jpg

And the windows and openings that I created, mostly by painting/not-painting of the upper side of the clear part.

IMG_5439_zpsnddoelwn.jpg

HAJO

Danke und Thank you!

The bird is ready for decals!

IMG_5441_zpsf8ea9reh.jpg

I planned to do the decalling this evening but somehow the time went by and before I noticed it´s already late... I will do that tomorrow

IMG_5442_zpsvhj5j4qz.jpg

IMG_5443_zpsbtszvf3m.jpg

HAJO

Hallo Hajo,

sieht richtig klasse aus die Tarnung, echt ungewöhnlich. Aufklärer sieht man eh viel zu selten gebaut, von daher Daumen hoch für diesen klasse Umbau.

The camo looks really great, stands out nicely from all those grey birds. Unfortunately recce birds are not often built therefore it's great to see such a nice conversion.

Markus

Ok, I applied decals and also applied some washing with a dark grey.

IMG_5444_zpsiu53ejly.jpg

IMG_5445_zps1rdgtl5w.jpg

Maybe the flash kills some of the details, so here is a picture without flash:

IMG_5446_zpsrs6ck4jh.jpg

Now the only thing missing is the tail-hook and then this project is finished!

HAJO