F-18 Nozzle Differences

Someone mentioned this to me... I had never noticed. He said he was looking at some F/A-18s and noticed that the engine nozzle feathers were different. Not only jet to jet, but also two types on one jet. One appears to have notches cut out of the corners on each blade, and the other doesn't. I assume that corner was maybe sticking a bit, and the ones with the notch is an update? Anyway... I knew some smart people here would probably know what the deal is. Here's each type...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/FA-18.engines.RAAF.jpg

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/601-700/walk615_F-18F_Cochran/09.jpg

There are different part numbers, it doesn't really matter what goes where, it all depends on what supply has in stock. There was an TD to certain part number outer flaps for 414, to bend in the stbd corner if you are looking forward to prevent binding.

The photos were just examples of how they look. The guy who noticed this, noticed that two VFA-122 birds had one of each type, on each plane. So I guess the notch is the updated version, and it's just a fluke what each one might have, and they don't have to match?

Some of us noticed this last summer and discussed it in the super hornet thread in the research section.

We've even noticed engines may have both styles installed at the same time.

-Gregg

Some of us noticed this last summer and discussed it in the super hornet thread in the research section.

We've even noticed engines may have both styles installed at the same time.

-Gregg

Everyone who had built a Hasegawa's 1/48th legacy Hornet knew that

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

It was an ECP on the F414. The notched VEN outer flaps will replace by attrition the un-notched version. F404 started it life without notches but now all have been replaced.

Each engine is treated as a separate unit. A maintenance action to one does not necessarily mean the other is affected. That's why you can have two engines installed with different VEN flaps.

Edited by graves_09

Does the situation ever cause problems for maintainers with OCD issues?

Nope. I was always OCD about the wear levels inside the nozzles. The different look between engine feathers and airframes is what made them unique and different, in a sea of haze gray and TPS.