1/72 F-14D kit with Model Graphix magazine

Great info here. One point I'm still unclear about: If the wings were out and engine off, do the flaps and slats drop under gravity? Dmanton's earlier post indicate that these are powered (unlike A-4). But if no power, what happens?

Look 2 posts above. Brian posted 2 pictures of F-14 unpowered, with extended wings: flaps and slats down.

The solution is quite simple but unfortunately, not appreciated among modelers because it can be considered like a toy, I'm talking about movable parts, like flaps and slats in this case. You want to do a catapult scene? Wings out flaps and slats down. You want to save some space in your shelves? Oversweep.

I.Martin

Edited by I.Martin

Look 2 posts above. Brian posted 2 pictures of F-14 unpowered, with extended wings: flaps and slats down.

Thank you I am aware of those pics. My question still remains though: Do they naturally droop under gravity when power is off, or does the pilot specifically deploy them before turning off the engines (for some reason I don't know). Put differently, is there any way that the flaps/slats remain retracted when there is no power and they are not physically locked in place. My guess is that they naturally droop when the power is off, but I don't know this for a fact.

Thank you I am aware of those pics. My question still remains though: Do they naturally droop under gravity when power is off, or does the pilot specifically deploy them before turning off the engines (for some reason I don't know). Put differently, is there any way that the flaps/slats remain retracted when there is no power and they are not physically locked in place. My guess is that they naturally droop when the power is off, but I don't know this for a fact.

Tomcat flaps do not generally droop on their own with hydraulic power off... Most certainly not when the wings were in oversweep. The slats were extended and retracted through a system of tubes that ran the length of each wing, and there was absolutely zero play in them at rest.

Funny nobody has started talking about intake ramp positions yet... :)

Edited by Neeko
But like I said, who'd notice that ^_^

:lol: :thumbsup:

But that's Google image search! ;)

Ah, come on... -_-

Beyond what Finemolds has set out to achieve with this kit and whatever merits it will prove to have, whatever boundaries it will break and whatever shortcuts will have been taken, for the ones with a bit of systems [logic] knowledge (F-14 experience or not) the question will come up as to why the producer went to such lengths as to display all those panels & co. open but stopped short of offering the option of positionable flaps/ slats... The 'ease of construction' argument cannot really be invoked (see said open panels) - that is if one doesn't think that molding the wings fixed fully swept back wouldn't have been an issue either because nearly all photos on the web show the Tomcat on the ground in that configuration...

L.E.: but as it's not really a Tomcat but just a piece of plastic that somebody did care to put their money into and give us the chance to have it [or not], I applaud the effort :thumbsup:

Edited by niki4703

... the question will come up as to why the producer went to such lengths as to display all those panels & co. open but stopped short of offering the option of positionable flaps/ slats...

Exactly what I was thinking. I really couldn't care less about the accuracy of whether or not the flaps/slats are down in real life but when it comes to a model kit, if I'm going to have everything hanging out ( open bays, radome up, spine cables exposed, etc), then a down flap/slats option would have been great. I still keep hoping that FM will have a separate magazine issue with the option of positionable flats/slats like what they're doing with the weapons sprue.

Exactly what I was thinking. I really couldn't care less about the accuracy of whether or not the flaps/slats are down in real life but when it comes to a model kit, if I'm going to have everything hanging out ( open bays, radome up, spine cables exposed, etc), then a down flap/slats option would have been great. I still keep hoping that FM will have a separate magazine issue with the option of positionable flats/slats like what they're doing with the weapons sprue.

AGREED!

Received my shipping notice from HLJ yesterday for the first volume so I'm excited to see how it looks in the flesh. Looking forward to the magazine as well...

Rob

Edited by galileo1

Nice video, Lance,

Thanks for the review. Do instructions come with this issue of the magazine/kit, or will they only appear in the final instalment?

cheers,

Andrew.

So if I take what he's saying correctly, it looks like they've modularized the kit so they can do an F-14A at some point? I hope!

That would be correct, all of the D specific parts are on one sprue.

Nice video, Lance,

Thanks for the review. Do instructions come with this issue of the magazine/kit, or will they only appear in the final instalment?

cheers,

Andrew.

Each issue comes with instructions for at least some of what is included with that issue. The first issue includes instructions for assembling the forward fuselage, all parts of which are included with the issue, plus the paint and decal guide. I am continuing to assemble the sample I was given, so far I have only identified two issues:

Part A1, the cockpit sill and rear deck, should be fitted into place before completely joining forward fuselage halves A39 and A40. A39 and A40 join at the front, forward of the NLG well and pilot's instrument panel, and at the aft end where there is a large internal lug for mounting the forward fuselage to the main fuselage. Do not glue the lug halves together until after A1 is in place. Glue the forward ends of A39 and A40 together, the cockpit tub will help align things, tape the nose so things don't slip, install A1 from the top while lightly spreading A39 and A40 apart at the aft end, then when A1 is seated flow a little glue into the lug to join A39 and A40 at the aft end.

Part A22, the lower forward fuselage, and part D21, lower main fuselage, have an odd join. "Odd" only in the sense it is not a straight line as is common on other F-14 kits. D21 has a "tongue", which included the centerline Sparrow well, and A22 has a groove for that tongue between the two Sparrow wells under the nose. The benefit is that there is no join cutting through a Sparrow well. The "tongue" on D21 and the groove in A22 are rabbeted for a more positive join, the issue is they are rabbeted the opposite of the way they probably should be. The "tongue" on D21 is wider on the inside (top? The bit that fits inside the fuselage) than on the outside (bottom), and the groove is rabbeted wider on the inside of the fuselage than on the outside.

I found that the tongue was thus lacking any support, and "floating", and would not align flush. The forward end was going too deep inside the forward fuselage. I solved this by carefully adding two strips of 0.5mm sheet along the inside of the groove in A22, thus changing the joint from a rabbeted one to a tongue-in-groove joint, with the rabbet on the tongue on D21 now slotting into a groove in A22, thus keeping the tongue on part D21 aligned flush.

In hindsight, I would recommend NOT gluing A22 to A39 and A40 to complete the forward fuselage, instead glue A22 to D21 first to get a nice flush join around that centerline Sparrow well, then complete assembly of the center fuselage, but do NOT attach D12/D13 (the two optional upper fuselage fairing parts, aft of the canopy) yet, glue the forward fuselage to the main fuselage, then glue your choice of D12 or D13 onto the top.

But overall, this is a brilliant kit. You really have to try to get things wrong, anyone who has built FineMolds Star Wars kits will recognize some of the "devices" used to aid alignment and hold things together.

Edited by LanceB

Hi Lance,

Thanks for wonderful video review.

Looking forward to next two parts and completed model.

Do you have information about Modelkasten pilot figures? Do they available from HLJ?

Regards,

Nat

The pilot figures are, at present, limited-release items only available directly from Modelkasten. They were selling them direct at the Shizuoka Hobby Show a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Lance,

Thanks for wonderful video review.

Looking forward to next two parts and completed model.

Do you have information about Modelkasten pilot figures? Do they available from HLJ?

Regards,

Nat

If I can make a plug for the little guy, Greg Williams at Modern Hobbies makes a really nice set of seated pilot figures. A lot of people on here like them and use his accessories for their modern aircraft builds.

If I can make a plug for the little guy, Greg Williams at Modern Hobbies makes a really nice set of seated pilot figures. A lot of people on here like them and use his accessories for their modern aircraft builds.

Can only concur on that. For some reaason, I thought Modern Hobbies had closed its doors at some point and I am glad I ran into their website recently. Ordered myself some seated pilots and a pod.

Great casting and service. :)