1/72 F-14D kit with Model Graphix magazine

Even with so-called "modern molding technology" (which hasn't really changed at all...), it would be *really* hard to beat the Fujimi 1/72 F-14.

but did Fujimi ever do an F14d Tomcat? I wish they'd come back with a re-issue of the Tomcat, A6 Intruder, and all the Scooters!

gary

Yup.

Among others: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10054448

Though according to the assembly guide, they put GRU-7 seats...

The TCS assembly is massively underscale as well.

IIRC Fujimi's B/D include proper GE exhaust nozzles but they provide only the A model engine fairings.

And then there's the slightly squashed appearance of the forward fuselage. A problem for some but for others not so much so I guess it's open for debate. :)

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Fujimi did release a D model, also I have an A model boxing of theirs that includes the F110 exhausts. IMHO the exhausts are terrible, you get both fully closed and open exhausts, but the open ones have very prominent "steps" around their circumference, instead of a smooth interior with overlapped petals on the outside (and a slight step or gap between petals on the trailing edge) you get thick "outerpetals" and thick "inner petals" between.

If rolled flat, instead of this (hypens = outer petals, underline = inner liner):

-- -- -- --

You get

_-- _-- _--

Edited by LanceB

Can only concur on that. For some reaason, I thought Modern Hobbies had closed its doors at some point and I am glad I ran into their website recently. Ordered myself some seated pilots and a pod.

Great casting and service. :)/>

Thanks guy.

I actually need the stanfing figures. They have difference post from Verlinden or Fujimi I had.

BTW, Modern Hobbies pilots are gorgeous. I really love their JHMCS helmet !

I can't find any good 1/72 decals.

TwoBobs did a couple 1/72 sheets with Ds (VF-1, VF-213, VF-31, etc.), Fightertown did the Tomcat Sunset Ds (VF-31), CAM did some 90s-era Ds, and I think SuperScale/RepliScale did a few.

In terms of variety, Hasegawa has done a lot of 1/72 D-model Limited Editions that include Cartograf decals (usually with the box art bird and a second, unlisted, set of markings). You might be able to find these decal sheets separate on eBay, or you might ask in the Trading section if anyone has the "secondary" scheme decals leftover from their builds.

As with most things Tomcat, you can at least start at www.andysmodels.me.uk/models/ where he lists a lot of decals and kit info.

Hope this helps!

*Edit: A couple others sprung to mind once I hit post: VF Decals might have done some 1/72 Ds, Aero Master might have a D or two, and there are always Revell & Hobby Boss D-model kit decals, plus others I'm sure I've missed (like the no-name eBay decals of questionable origin and quality). If you're willing to decal-bash a bit, there are some interesting 90s Ds with water-based desert camo schemes, notably a VF-11 F-14D that could be created using a B-model decal sheet.

Edited by mec011

TwoBobs did a couple 1/72 sheets with Ds (VF-1, VF-213, VF-31, etc.), Fightertown did the Tomcat Sunset Ds (VF-31), CAM did some 90s-era Ds, and I think SuperScale/RepliScale did a few.

In terms of variety, Hasegawa has done a lot of 1/72 D-model Limited Editions that include Cartograf decals (usually with the box art bird and a second, unlisted, set of markings). You might be able to find these decal sheets separate on eBay, or you might ask in the Trading section if anyone has the "secondary" scheme decals leftover from their builds.

As with most things Tomcat, you can at least start at www.andysmodels.me.uk/models/ where he lists a lot of decals and kit info.

Hope this helps!

*Edit: A couple others sprung to mind once I hit post: VF Decals might have done some 1/72 Ds, Aero Master might have a D or two, and there are always Revell & Hobby Boss D-model kit decals, plus others I'm sure I've missed (like the no-name eBay decals of questionable origin and quality). If you're willing to decal-bash a bit, there are some interesting 90s Ds with water-based desert camo schemes, notably a VF-11 F-14D that could be created using a B-model decal sheet.

Thanks for your sugestions.

all or most of those sets are sadly OOP,Hasegawa decals probably were not accurate at all,Cam is doing a rerun of their previous Tomcat sheets,if you are committed into Tomcat like I was you need a good load of stencils and use squadron markings from the boxes,there it was even some inconsistency with Repliscale,Revell and Hasegawa markings colors,dimensions were more notable,I know different brand different dimensions but something was really off

Please, it would be great to have someone re-print a set of VF-103s for this new kit! I'd be all over that.

Unless there are parts to make a B model, a VF-103 decal sheet will be useless for this kit.

Would the MK pilots be period accurate for th D? They seem to be wearing the old-style (HGU-33) vs the later style seen during most of the D's life. Not sure about the rest of their equipment.

Strange way to market a model if you ask me.

And as has been discussed before, it's a method that has worked wonderfully for Model Graphix in the past, they have a huge circulation in Japan. This will get more of those models into people's hands more quickly than a Fine Molds kit had a hope of doing. It's very effective marketing.

Personally? Is a tragedy. I'd like multiples of that kit, watching the HLJ build shows how amazing it is, but it will remain out of my reach except for maybe ONE at some point I can justify the expense. But for FM and Model Graphix, the history of success is clear, and my pain matters not to them.

It's canny marketing, not weird. It's being used to market the magazine, not vice versa.

Edited by Dmanton300

To be honest, I ordered one for the actual magazine as much as I did for the kit itself. The mag looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to seeing the pics in it (too bad I won't be able to read it though).

Rob

Makes perfect sense if your goal is to make and sell 20,000 model kits instantly. It is probably the only way to do that with a military or aircraft kit in today's market.

And as has been discussed before, it's a method that has worked wonderfully for Model Graphix in the past, they have a huge circulation in Japan. This will get more of those models into people's hands more quickly than a Fine Molds kit had a hope of doing. It's very effective marketing.

Personally? Is a tragedy. I'd like multiples of that kit, watching the HLJ build shows how amazing it is, but it will remain out of my reach except for maybe ONE at some point I can justify the expense. But for FM and Model Graphix, the history of success is clear, and my pain matters not to them.

It's canny marketing, not weird. It's being used to market the magazine, not vice versa.

But not only Fine Molds x Model Graphics, in Europe you have di Agostini doing something similar with their own 'exclusive' kits or repackaging Italeri and other manufacturers kits in magazines.

examples from di Agostini include previously a 1/200 scale Bismarck and the recent HMS Victory: http://shop.deagosti...bscription.html

The millennium falcon http://shop.deagosti...lennium-falcon/

Or Senna's MP4/4 http://shop.deagosti...-s-mclaren.html

Their 'exclusives' are all big and detailed kits, by similar logic, not many people would fork out right away hundreds or even thousands of $ for such a big kit. But their marketing is that more people are willing to buy those in $5-10 installments every two weeks or a month for a period of one to three years and build them slowly, step by step.

Edited by Inquisitor

Unless there are parts to make a B model, a VF-103 decal sheet will be useless for this kit.

Oh! So the Jolly Rogers never got any Ds? Damn, they are my favourite livery. What are alternate Liveries for the D?

Oh! So the Jolly Rogers never got any Ds? Damn, they are my favourite livery. What are alternate Liveries for the D?

Only squadrons to get D models were:

VF-2

VF-11 (temporarily)

VF-31

VF-213

VF-101 and 124

Plus VX-4/9 and other test squadrons.