1/72 F-14D kit with Model Graphix magazine

Only squadrons to get D models were:

VF-2

VF-11 (temporarily)

VF-31

VF-213

VF-101 and 124

Plus VX-4/9 and other test squadrons.

Thanks that's great to know! So aside from the double chin pod, are there any other visual differences? Some bumps on the glove vanes?

Thanks that's great to know! So aside from the double chin pod, are there any other visual differences? Some bumps on the glove vanes?

NACES seats instead of the GRU-7's.

But not only Fine Molds x Model Graphics, in Europe you have di Agostini doing something similar with their own 'exclusive' kits or repackaging Italeri and other manufacturers kits in magazines.

examples from di Agostini include previously a 1/200 scale Bismarck and the recent HMS Victory: http://shop.deagosti...bscription.html

The millennium falcon http://shop.deagosti...lennium-falcon/

Or Senna's MP4/4 http://shop.deagosti...-s-mclaren.html

Their 'exclusives' are all big and detailed kits, by similar logic, not many people would fork out right away hundreds or even thousands of $ for such a big kit. But their marketing is that more people are willing to buy those in $5-10 installments every two weeks or a month for a period of one to three years and build them slowly, step by step.

I guess that's why I don't make my living in marketing! LOL

I see your point. That would definitely pay for the tooling. I hope they scaled that up to 1/48 scale.

Please Mr. Susuki upscale these Tomcat to 1/48. There are still rumors in Japan about the 1/48 Tomcat from Tamiya.

Edited by joscasle

Save the post here preciously: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234910566-tomcats-101-article/

Brian listed all major differences between all 3 F-14 models, and included tips for modelers. That is an awesome reference guide.

I've just come back from Japan and have seen the stacks of MG kits/magazines in hobby- book- and magazine shops. I was tempted, but 1:72 just isn't my scale and at 3x¥2130 it's too much just for curiosity's sake...I hope it will sell well though and hope even more that FM will upscale it to 1:48.

Jeffrey

I got the first issue today, WOW just WOW!!

These needs to be upscale to 1/48!!!!!!!! The level of detail is great!

Are you in the U.S. Jo? Trying to gauge when I might be getting mine.

Rob

Magazine is out today in Japan.

This is a new tool from Fine Molds. Kit is spread over three issues of Model Graphix Magazine: the July, August and September issues (on sale late May, June and July respectively). Price per issue will be 2,130 yen (publisher's list). Kit will have over 200 parts.

Wow !! That one had escaped my attention ! Though it is not the first time a scale modeling or historical aviation magazine makes an offer like this. I remember there was a French magazine that offered a whole line of French aircraft kits, including float planes if i remember well and several aircraft from the 1930's. The concept was different in their case, you had to buy a subscription to have access to those kits (and then i don't think they were included in the price of the subscription, it could have been the case for one or more than one of them, but since there were many models, i doubt so). The kits were sub-contracted to a company in Eastern Europe i believe. The magazine itself had several sub-contractors located in Eastern Europe, such as for the color profiles and technical drawings and illustrations shown in the magazine. Can't remember the title of it but i think it was mostly an historical aviation magazine.

Can the wings swing in a synchronous manner ? The Hasegawa kit (which i don't have) doesn't from what i have read, but my old Revell and Matchbox kits had the full mechanism allowing them to do so. The Revell kit wings would sometimes get out of synch, though i think there could be a technical solution to make them stay in synch in a future kit. I had fun working on such kind of things on my Lockheed FDL-5 spaceplane kit which have swing out wings (used for landing only)(i made 2 updated versions of the swing wing mechanism of my FDL-5 resin kit over the years to make them work in synch in a smoother manner).

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Can the wings swing in a synchronous manner ? The Hasegawa kit (which i don't have) doesn't from what i have read, but my old Revell and Matchbox kits had the full mechanism allowing them to do so. The Revell kit wings would sometimes get out of synch, though i think there could be a technical solution to make them stay in synch in a future kit. I had fun working on such kind of things on my Lockheed FDL-5 spaceplane kit which have swing out wings (used for landing only)(i made 2 updated versions of the swing wing mechanism of my FDL-5 resin kit over the years to make them work in synch in a smoother manner).

Stephane

Stratosphere Models

Email: stratospheremodels@yahoo.fr

No, the wings are not connected to each other, so making an inflight display of asymmetric wing sweep is easy, so you might call that a feature if you like. Another feature - one that is probably more useful to most model builders than symmetric sweep, is that you can attach the wings after you have assembled the fuselage. This means that the wings can stay off until last, after painting, decaling and weathering.

Got my issue today, I took some pics to share with everyone.

Instructions. Paint is given as Gunze and Tamiya.

62KT14I.jpg

Z88mS01.jpg

DAWDls8.jpg

Short write up by Dana "Smudge" Potts from VF-103 and his experience with the F-14 (all in Japanese though...)

1JG0EP3.jpg

KQZzJFt.jpg

6LsB3eE.jpg

tkkLCKP.jpg

UQwkTkY.jpg

bjrHzBD.jpg

B20VyAn.jpg

KQZzJFt.jpg

Hmmm... lower left corner, that is most definitely a gated sprue section, which indicates they've tooled optional parts for other versions. Very interesting!

Also: I wonder if anyone will be so kind as to tackle some translations for the rest of us.

Great pics, many thanks for sharing them. The moulding looks so nice. I'll be very happy when mine arrives, which hopefully won't be much longer.

cheers,

Andrew.