1/72 F-14D kit with Model Graphix magazine

Maybe I missed it ... but will there ever be a chance to get this kit as a regular kit and not by this crusade of purchasing several magazines ??

Deino

99.9% chance of not being released as a whole kit.

Put it this way: FM have released a bunch of kits in this manner, in conjunction with Model Graphix. It goes back at least a decade.

None of them have ever been re-boxed as a straight kit.

Put it this way: FM have released a bunch of kits in this manner, in conjunction with Model Graphix. It goes back at least a decade.

None of them have ever been re-boxed as a straight kit.

If the info is to be believed, they did rebox their Type 89 that was once put in 3 issues of Armour Modeling (Model Graphix AFV focused mag), but that's more to do with cashing in on a certain Tank Anime bandwagon.

So there's still some sliver of hope.

The kit looks pretty amazing! Not sure I'll get one at $60+50 for shipping. A $110 1/72 Tomcat doesn't make sense.

But here's a few shots for reference of one of the markings included. Shot at Miramar 97 det. First time VF-31 carried BOL sidewinder rails and a few months before they got Lantirn pods. Enjoy!

100%20mk84%20loaded2_zps9tlwdmic.jpg

100%204mk84%20loaded%20wide2_zpshvdmzrco.jpg

100%20mk20%20taxi%20rear_zpsg1tywjcj.jpg

100%20mk20%20taxi_zps6rgmixyp.jpg

-brian

The kit looks pretty amazing! Not sure I'll get one at $60+50 for shipping. A $110 1/72 Tomcat doesn't make sense.

Well, if you think about it, one would have to spend roughly the same amount to bring a Hasegawa up to this level with the various Aires sets, but the FM gives you around the same level of detail without all the sanding and cursing. :)/>

Edited by White Wolf

But here's a few shots for reference of one of the markings included. Shot at Miramar 97 det. First time VF-31 carried BOL sidewinder rails and a few months before they got Lantirn pods. Enjoy!

I went to the Whiteman AFB airshow that year and was overjoyed to see a Tomcat. But I was puzzled by the Sidewinder rails. They looked so weird! It was only afterwards that I found out they were BOL rails.

My calculation shows $51.77 (for 3 x magazines + kit parts ) + about $17.66 ( shipping to US) from HLJ

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDGMAG1507/

( Add to Cart 3 times then scroll over the Yen values to see a window pop up with the US$ value)

I'm not including the separate weapons sprue that is coming out with another magazine:

http://www.hlj.com/product/mdgsa104

I don't quite like how it looks ( raised panels?) and I can always use spare weapons from my Fujimi Tomcats. Or my spare Hase weapons set to make a bombcat.

I do agree that even then, $51.77 + $17.66 = $69.43 is too much for a 1/72 Tomcat but you do get glossy, high quality magazines thrown in ( small comfort,I know). Plus, judging by FM's 1/72 Mitsubishi Zeroes, this will be a very good 1/72 Tomcat. In another thread, I balked at the thought of paying $50 for an upcoming 1/72 SU-24 by Trumpeter but then again, with FM, I know I'd be getting my money's worth. With Trumpeter, not so.

Edited by JackMan

Is anyone going to do some aftermarket decals for this kit? The schemes it comes with don't really excite me. It would be great if Twobobs would do a rerelease of some of their sheets. Some VF-31 line jets would be awesome..

Is anyone going to do some aftermarket decals for this kit? The schemes it comes with don't really excite me. It would be great if Twobobs would do a rerelease of some of their sheets. Some VF-31 line jets would be awesome..

+1

Anyone seen sprue pics for volume 2 yet?

Sprues, yes.

Available, not yet. Well I didn't get any notification from HLJ anyway.

Edit:

Well, looks like they are available actually.

Edited by Platycqb

I have finally had time to examine the parts from vol. 1, excellent stuff and I'm quite impressed with the overall detail level.

However, what's up with the nose wheels? The rims are completely void of any detail - very disappointing on an otherwise impressive set of parts.

Received my volume 1 parts the other day and was sincerely impressed with the quality (for a 1/72 kit). The only thing I don't like are the seats but everything else is great. I have the weapons sprues on the way and can't wait for volume two.

Rob

... I have the weapons sprues on the way ...

Rob

Rob, when you get the weapons sprues, could you post pics of them? I saw them on HLJ and they looked ( to me) a bit plain (almost as if they were made by another maker rather than the one who made the main Tomcat sprues). Some close up shots would be good. Thank you :thumbsup:

Rob, when you get the weapons sprues, could you post pics of them? I saw them on HLJ and they looked ( to me) a bit plain (almost as if they were made by another maker rather than the one who made the main Tomcat sprues). Some close up shots would be good. Thank you :thumbsup:/>

Sure thing, Jack. They should be here next week.

Rob

Got my weapons sprues today.

They are It is... disappointing.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the missiles. Shapes look decent at a cursory glance, panel lines are recessed (mostly). Fins are a little thick, but typical of injected missiles. The let down is in quantity. 4x Phoenix, 2x. Sidewinder, 2x Sparrow, plus a LANTIRN. That's it. It's a tiny little sprue, and I'd have liked to see two of them included, for the price. My other complaint is that the Sparrows only have 3 wings - they're designed to fit the glove pylons and the glove pylons alone, further decreasing flexibility. :(/>/>/> Finally, there's not really anything interesting in the magazine; it's definitely not a reference source that I'll keep for years. There are a few pages dedicated to what looks like potted missile histories/how it works (plus some JASDF ordnance), with tiny, vague B&W photos. There are a few different builds showing the FM kit in various markings, plus a couple other, regular modelling articles. For the most part, the builds aren't super-impressive (we're not talking AIRModeller or TMMI calibre) and they're sparsely illustrated. Maybe it'd help if I read Japanese, but since I don't, I can only judge it on what I can see and basically, it adds zero value to the package. You're pretty much just buying it for the weapons.

The set is $20 from HLJ. Hasegawa's weapons sets are about $5: V gives you 4x AIM-9s and 4x AIM-7s which are a little nicer than the FM parts; VII has a LANTIRN; and III has AIM-54s (not nearly as nice as FM's) plus a slew of AIM-7s and -9s (ditto). So for $15, you'll have a full weapons load with the ability to choose your exact loadout, and a slew of spares for other builds. Alternatively, for the same $20 you can get one each of Eduard's resin AIM-7, AIM-9 and AIM-54 sets, each with four missiles (so, more than FM) which are finer and more detailed than the plastic versions. You'd still need to source a LANTIRN though, if you wanted one. Heck, for $20, you can probably find a Revell Germany F-14D and rob it for ordnance, and possibly decals. And each of those alternatives would be a more sensible choice than the FM weapons, IMO.

It's a pity as the parts themselves are fine, but when you can get more, better and cheaper elsewhere, there's just no reason to buy FM's missiles.

Blurry overview:

IMG_1290_zpsgvhq6qb4.jpg

Sparrow (note: 'top' wing is missing):

IMG_1291_zpss80dmqxb.jpg

'Winder.

IMG_1292_zps5hyrrs3x.jpg

Phoenix (I'm assuming it's a C?):

IMG_1293_zpsxbcirtud.jpg

LANTIRN/pylon (note: head doesn't swivel and seeker is NOT poseable, unlike Hasegawa's):

IMG_1294_zpst2nvjsp9.jpg

Instructions/decal guide for the parts:

IMG_1296_zpsct4qe9te.jpg

Other loadouts you can use if you buy Hasegawa's weapons sets. :(/>/>/> They should have at LEAST included some bombs or *something*:

IMG_1298_zpsln6rgnmx.jpg

The featured build, from the cover... which you *can not* build using the existing weapons. :bandhead2:/>/>/>

IMG_1297_zpsvojjq6qk.jpg

Edited by MoFo

The set is $20 from HLJ. Hasegawa's weapons sets are about $5: V gives you 4x AIM-9s and 4x AIM-7s which are a little nicer than the FM parts; VII has a LANTIRN; and III has AIM-54s (not nearly as nice as FM's) plus a slew of AIM-7s and -9s (ditto). So for $15, you'll have a full weapons load with the ability to choose your exact loadout, and a slew of spares for other builds. Alternatively, for the same $20 you can get one each of Eduard's resin AIM-7, AIM-9 and AIM-54 sets, each with four missiles (so, more than FM) which are finer and more detailed than the plastic versions. You'd still need to source a LANTIRN though, if you wanted one. Heck, for $20, you can probably find a Revell Germany F-14D and rob it for ordnance, and possibly decals. And each of those alternatives would be a more sensible choice than the FM weapons, IMO.

It's a pity as the parts themselves are fine, but when you can get more, better and cheaper elsewhere, there's just no reason to buy FM's missiles.

Could you tell me where I can get all 3 Eduard missile sets for $20? :jaw-dropping: The cheapest I can find is around $40 for them.