VAQ-33 Low vis EA-6A's

VAQ-33 EA-6A

Sample pic^^

Just putting some feelers out there..

Any interest in decals for VAQ-33's low vis EA-6A's in either 1/48 or 1/72? And let's say a sheet was produced..it would retail for $10 with both scales on it...and honestly I don't even know if there's a 1/72 EA-6A out there.

It's an untapped subject matter and I find them to be pretty cool.

Edited by VFA-103guy

As of now, I have refs for 3 jets..104, 103 and 107.

With only the 3 jets being on the sheet and there only being 3 colors, the print cost would be fairly low. The plan is to keep the sheet simple, not go overboard with stencils and the like, just all the main markings, i.e., side/flap/tail numbers, tail markings, Navy logos, national insignias, intake markings, rescue arrows...you get the picture.

These jets do require a slight mod to the wings by adding a ALQ reciever to the underside of the wingtips...I'll be sure to include a pic on the instructions. Also, you'd need to source wingtip slime light decals since these jets had those..also a couple of different antennas, but those would appear on the profiles.

Again, just putting some feelers out there.

It looks like there are 3 of them out on ebay right now. I haven't really looked for one in a while, but I see them pop up on here every now and then, usually in the $15-$20 range. I'm definitely not an expert, but I don't see them as particularly hard to get a hold of. I'm pretty sure they haven't been produced in a while. If you come out with your sheet, I will probably be in the market to get another one as I would like to do the hi-vis VMAQ-2 markings that come in the kit as well.

-Dave

Thanks for the info Dave and Steve.

If I don't release the sheet on my own, Vagabond has expressed interest in producing it and keeping it under their Value Sheet line (which is a GREAT idea)..but here's the thing. I'll be glad to help any decal manufacturer with the research if they choose to release the subject either on it's own or accompanied with other EA-6A's.

Getting back in the decal game for me is not something I really want to do personally, but I had already had custom art for 104 drawn up for me for a personal model project a while ago..figured why not just release it and give some more options for builders to have.

These jets do require a slight mod to the wings by adding a ALQ reciever to the underside of the wingtips...I'll be sure to include a pic on the instructions. Also, you'd need to source wingtip slime light decals since these jets had those..also a couple of different antennas, but those would appear on the profiles.

Fuselage slimelights too by the way.

I don't have the Fujimi kits in front of me but I'm almost positive the wingtip receivers are included as separate parts for their basic A-6 sprues. That beercan antenna on the tail isn't though.

Fuselage slimelights too by the way.

I don't have the Fujimi kits in front of me but I'm almost positive the wingtip receivers are included as separate parts for their basic A-6 sprues. That beercan antenna on the tail isn't though.

Good catch..yes..as Steve mentioned, the fuselage slime lights will need to be sourced as well.

I'm wondering if Steel Beach could produce the receiver in 1/48th for the Revell kit.

For those unaware, Wolfpak Decals has markings for a VAQ-33 EA-6A on sheet 72-073.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

Hey, that's good to know! I wasn't aware Mark had released that. Pretty good looking sheet too.

If that's the case, I'd be willing to eliminate the 1/72 option that way I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

Good catch..yes..as Steve mentioned, the fuselage slime lights will need to be sourced as well.

I'm wondering if Steel Beach could produce the receiver in 1/48th for the Revell kit.

That wouldn't be a problem. I'd need to know exactly what to make, but it doesn't sound hard.

That wouldn't be a problem. I'd need to know exactly what to make, but it doesn't sound hard.

D-Rob..I shot you an email from here..if you don't get it, PM me your email addy and I'll send you some pics.

I don't think it'd be too hard to do.

Just a word on the EA-6A's... The wingtip speed brakes were not added to these planes. They kept the original fuselage brakes only. So sand off the hinge fairings and open the fuselage brakes.

DET1460

Yes, you are absolutely correct DET. That little tid bit of info would be added on the placement guide.

How about adding VAQ-34 F/A-18B, TA-7L to widen the appeal a bit? Maybe even a VAQ phantom. They are both pretty simple and I've got references I'd be happy to contribute. And at least 1 of the A-7 jets already drawn that could be used...

Brian