DeAugustini Millennium Falcon 1:1 Prop model replica

Hey all in the sci-fi forum! This is my first post to sci-fi. I am currently active in the aircraft forums at the moment. I wanted to ask if anyone here at ARC is working on this kit and what they think? I am yet another huge fan of the ship and decided to jump on this one. A bit pricy but, offset by "installments." Seems pretty good. You can view it here De Augustini Millennium Falcon if some of you haven't seen it. They have their own forum, of course, and some folks have builds going on with it. Let me know what you all think. I don't expect to be working with any of the parts anytime soon (currently I have not recieved the first installment) as I have a full plate with aircraft and cars right now but, sure do like to think about it! :woot.gif:

Edited by taggor

Yeah, their large scale MP4/4 was very tempting, but the $1400 price tag is quite steep. Especially when you can get a 1/12 Tamiya MP4/6 for almost a tenth of the price. I'd still love to see the build to see what they are like.

-Dave

Tempting but 50$ a month for 25 months is woah.

Yeah, their large scale MP4/4 was very tempting, but the $1400 price tag is quite steep. Especially when you can get a 1/12 Tamiya MP4/6 for almost a tenth of the price. I'd still love to see the build to see what they are like.

-Dave

No doubt that it's expensive but, with a little budget tweeking it's "do-able" for me and I didn't want to miss this one since I have missed a couple other chances for a prop size replica that didn't give you an option to pay with installments.

May even consider this MF but where do you stick it?

Yeah another good point but, with the MF it's always been buy first and worry about that stuff later. I have always wanted to do a Bespin landing pad and background diorama no matter the scale of the falcon. The project gets bigger! Haha. :woot.gif:

Product Details

Key Features of the Millennium Falcon

Era: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (3 ABY)

Scale: 1:1

Length: 31.8 inches

Width: 23.4 inches

Height: 7.5 inches

Weight: Approx. 24 pounds

Power Required: 6 AA batteries or external 9V adapter sold separately

The above is from the site. The MF prop form SW was the 5' version. I am just a sucker for the MF I guess, especially the ESB/Jedi version. I have the FM kit as well. I suppose I just like the idea of having a "prop size" kit.

Don't get me wrong id love to have it. Just nowhere to put it.

Do show pictures.

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I think about that stuff last! Haha :woot.gif: And I don't know exactly where I would put it either at this point but, I am hoping to get a house in the near future that would have the room for it! I am not sure that I am going to "build as you go" with this kit since I am invested in quite a few projects right now. I already have 2015 locked down with two projects. When I get to it I will be happy to share it here on ARC.

That's beautiful! Maybe they can offer it for less without the interior :(

I hear you crackerjazz! This is the only way I could ever hope to have a model like this as all the others were "one lump" payments and just not possible. I just had to work through my budget to do this one. I felt that if I didn't do this one I may not get a chance to have one similar to it again. That's inclusive of having it built and on display in my "later years!" Haha.

I was very interested in being involved in this but when I last looked at the website they didn't ship to Canada.

Did you try calling or e-mailing them to inquire if they could? I am sorry to hear that but, if they are like most companies, they will find a way to take your money! Haha. :woot.gif:

I will write them an e-mail myself to see what they say.

Hey RiderFan, as I was looking through DeAugustini's website under the Terms and Conditions section there is a mention about customs responsibilities to the buyer. There is no mention that they will not ship outside of the USA. Give them a call and see what they say!

-Mark

I was very interested in being involved in this but when I last looked at the website they didn't ship to Canada.

Got your answer here via e-mail. They will ship to Canada!!!

Dear Mark

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

There are no additional

shipping charges for shipping to Canada, however it can take up to 7-14 business

days to actually receive shipments. Please keep in mind all charges and rates

are in USD only so the charges will be a bit more in CDN.

If you have any

other questions, or if I can be of any further assistance, please do not

hesitate to contact me again.

Regards,

Colton S.

DeAgostini Customer

Care

Model Space: 877-544-6779

www.deagostiniusa.com

Hours: Monday - Friday

7:00 am to 5:00 pm (CST)

-----Original Message-----

info=deagostiningusa.com@model-space.com

[mailto:info=deagostiningusa.com@model-space.com] On Behalf Of ModelSpace -

General Info

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:45 AM

To: Customer Service,

DeAgostiniusa

Subject: Contact Form

Object: Shipping

Name: Mark

E-mail:

Telephone:

Comment: I am interested in the

Millennium Falcon prop model. What sort of shipping rates do you have for

Canada?

Edited by taggor
  • 2 weeks later...

I started my purchase of the Deagostini Falcon last month, about a week later than the first few hearty souls. I've got my first four parts packs and should be seeing the second four any day now. I don't plan to start construction though until I get at least the first three months of parts in my stash as by that time, there promises to be some other nice goodies available for the model in the form of Shapeways parts and at least one etch set from Paragrafix. So far, I like what I see. But, I certainly can make some improvements and tweaks along the way. And my old FineMolds Falcon (and the references I used to paint it) will make an excellent 3D roadmap for the complete repaint I plan to do to this model.

finfalcon2.jpg

topturret1.jpg

falcondetail1.jpg

I've emailed them to see if there is an option to buy the whole kit outright and not in installments - I've not heard back yet. I'd also like to know if the price is somewhat reduced. A friend of mine made an interesting comment today while we were chatting about this kit. It was basically along the lines that the installment program is funding the remaining production of the parts packs that everyone is to receive in the future. This basically means that the kit in its entirety doesn't exist and that I, for instance, couldn't make a one-time payment for a complete kit if I wanted to. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this or know more about the production of this kit?

Cheers,

Tom

I started my purchase of the Deagostini Falcon last month, about a week later than the first few hearty souls. I've got my first four parts packs and should be seeing the second four any day now. I don't plan to start construction though until I get at least the first three months of parts in my stash as by that time, there promises to be some other nice goodies available for the model in the form of Shapeways parts and at least one etch set from Paragrafix. So far, I like what I see. But, I certainly can make some improvements and tweaks along the way. And my old FineMolds Falcon (and the references I used to paint it) will make an excellent 3D roadmap for the complete repaint I plan to do to this model.

finfalcon2.jpg

topturret1.jpg

falcondetail1.jpg

Hi Jay,

Now that you've got some of the parts in your hands, what do you think of the quality?

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Tom, well.... I am not Jay but, I see where DeAgostini was going with this kit in terms of sales. In my opinion it is a good start for the "super detailer" and just fine for someone who would love a prop replica of the Falocn but, doesn't have the skill or time to build one with "super details". My only hope is that someone out there will have thought to make some resin enhancements. I love scratch building but, I like a little help to from time to time. It looks like I will finally have the basis for my version of the "ultimate cockpit" with ALL the lighting. Unlike my 2003 effort with the old MPC kit which I though was pretty good for when I made it. Sorry I don't have any completed shots.

ms_seat_new.jpg

Now I can have a larger canvass to work with the DeAgostini kit. It's just going to take some time to get to it as I have other projects going on right now with aircraft kits.

Since it looks as if the Falcon will be in Episode VII (based on Teaser Trailers), it's popularity wont be going away at all (if it ever did!?) in my estimation. So maybe that may boost interest in this kit and "prod" the AM crowd to make some details for this model.

...there promises to be some other nice goodies available for the model in the form of Shapeways parts and at least one etch set from Paragrafix.

Hey Jay, I have been away from the hobby for a while but, are there any links to what Shapeways and Paragraphics may be offering for this kit? I am with you also with the complete re-paint. I think you and I started the subscription at the same time as I have the first installment too!

You have a very nice looking FM Falcon there! :thumbsup: I have four (It's a long story of why I have four. Initially I bought two at the first release and two before FM lost their license) of them sitting in boxes as I made a major life change when FM released them and couldn't even consider working on any of them at the time. So now seven years later... enter DeAgostini!

I found the Shapeways parts!! Yes!! :yahoo:

-Mark

Edited by taggor

I received a reply from DeAgostini regarding my query to buy the kit outright. They said monthly installments is the only option available at this time and to check back towards the end of 2015 and they should be able to accommodate that request then.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Jay,

Now that you've got some of the parts in your hands, what do you think of the quality?

Cheers,

Tom

I finally got my parts for issues 5 through 8 this past week and had a chance to study them up close. Parts quality to me looks pretty good as far as the molding goes. Paint quality I would rate as "okay" which would net a relative novice a decent looking replica, but dedicated model builders like us can certainly go to town on the paint and weathering as needed. Probably the one area that will require more than basic skills would be lighting. While you get a nice set of lighting, the instructions for light blocking seem a little less than adequate, so one could end up with some glowing parts if they aren't careful and do their best to plug light leaks during construction. There are also more than a few improvements which can be done to the lights themselves if one has the patience and skill to do that. I may tweak out the cockpit lights a little, but I don't think I'll be going down the path some others are of having flashing lighs in the cockpit and the main computer in the central hold.

All in all, I am happy with the investment. What I see I like. Improvements can be made, but this is why I prefer unbuilt kits to pre-builds. We each have the ability to make this Falcon model our own.

As for Paragrafix, they will announce when the first etch set is ready and it should be available both directly from them and major online suppliers such as CultTVman, Starship Modeler and the like. I would at least like to see what they can do with the cockpit instruments to give them a decent 3D aspect compared to the pre-colored flat panels.

Edited by Jay Chladek