Kittyhawk 1/32 F-86D Have you seen it yet?

Thanks for that link. I love Cybermodeler, but has there ever been a "critical" review there?

Gene K

Check over on LSP. There are several reviews.

I have one and it is super, nearing Tamiya quality. It does have some minor "issues', ejection pins holes in unfortunate places, things like that.

I just ordered mine from Sprue Bros. They had an additional 10% off for any kits bought over the weekend. I would have posted something about it,but I got my order in just at the last minute. Can't wait to get it after reading the review on LSP.

I've seen it in the box and it looks very good. Panels look nice and crisp and exterior detail is excellent. Like most Kittyhawk kits; I think the cockpit could be better. I can't comment on the overall accuracy and/or fit of the model, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't dwell on how accurate a particular kit is.

Definitely worth the money and time investment if your a fan of the -D. Maybe hold on to it for a little while and wait to see if there's a cockpit (or at least a seat) in the future. A few years back I asked about getting a better seat for my 1/48 F-100C. I was advised to stuff a F-86D seat into my model. I wonder if the same logic works the other way around? Make sure to ask Ben B if this would work (my disclaimer).

Chris

I've seen it in the box and it looks very good. Panels look nice and crisp and exterior detail is excellent. Like most Kittyhawk kits; I think the cockpit could be better. I can't comment on the overall accuracy and/or fit of the model, but I'm one of those guys who doesn't dwell on how accurate a particular kit is.

Definitely worth the money and time investment if your a fan of the -D. Maybe hold on to it for a little while and wait to see if there's a cockpit (or at least a seat) in the future. A few years back I asked about getting a better seat for my 1/48 F-100C. I was advised to stuff a F-86D seat into my model. I wonder if the same logic works the other way around? Make sure to ask Ben B if this would work (my disclaimer).

Chris

The seats are similar. They do have some small airframe specific differences, but would look good in either one.

The kit seat is very good, just cut the armrest/firing handles and lower them. They are molded in the up/eject position.

I love Cybermodeler, but has there ever been a "critical" review there?

Gene K

Never... Cybermodeler is somewhat of a joke.

LSP on the other hand, has a pretty good crew. Most of their write-ups seem fair and methodical.

Yea, I kinda agree about Cybermodeler. It seams every kit review gets a "Highly Recommended" and then I come here or to LSP and it's a different story completely. Like the reviewer at Cybermodeler forgot the "NOT" before"Highly Recommended". The reviews go: the kit has fit/finish/accuracy issues, but it's still a must buy. Come on.

For the most part, it is a decent kit. My biggest gripe is the sprue gate attachments and ejection pin marks. They leave a half round rod of plastic that you have to trim off. They are really bad on the intake halves. The intakes do not fit too well because of the gate attachments. Cockpit wise, it is decent oob. It could be better detailed, but since I only build oob, it will be sufficient enough for me. You have to take care fitting the seat into the tub. It is an extremely tight fit. This is as far as I have gotten with the kit. Withsome work, I am sure it will be a fine model when done. Also, it may be me, but the decals do not look right to me. They look almost paper like, not glossy. I will try to post a wip when I can.

Just a few pics to show the sprue gate attachments and the half round rods of plastic that the pin marks leave. Like I said, they're really bad on the intake halves.

063_zpsvur1tsj9.jpg

062_zpsmprsk6kx.jpg

Looking at one of the aft fuselage halves. Again, note the half round rods of plastic from the pin marks and the gate attachments. Not really a deal breaker, just annoying.

082_zpsyudqsiuy.jpg

081_zpsox2gs2io.jpg

And finally, some pics of the cockpit. I'm not quite finished with it yet. Still some more painting to do. Just a simple wash and a little drybrushing is all I have done. As I only build oob, the cockpit is more than enough for me. I used the decals for the side consoles. I wasn't really sure how well these would lay down because when taken off the backing paper, they were really stiff. Almost paper like. But with a little microsol( a lot, actually) they layed down fine. Some of the details kinda got lost so I went back over them with some paint to pick out some of the details. Not accurate by any means, but I don't really care.

084_zpsvgdi9dv5.jpg

076_zpsndo06bxt.jpg

This is all I have done so far. I quite like the kit despite some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post some more or even start a work in progress if I have time.

RYAN.

I wasn't aware that Kittyhawk did a starfighter. Did you mean the F-94 Starfire? I have to say, Kittyhawk is tooling up some really interesting subjects, so far. I would go into helos if they tooled up they're Zulu Cobra to 1/35.

Thanks - that was an excellent review by Phil. He mentions several tines that the modular breakdown of the kit indicates the possibility of "more versions". I can see an easy L ... and since the kit contains an extra intake ring, I assume the longer fuselage K will follow. Sabre wing schooling will undoubtedly be resurrected, right Jennings?. :blink:/>

Gene K

Edited by Gene K