1/48 Su-27UB Blue 52 Polar Flanker

Hi Nicholas,

seems like you've managed to buy every bit of aftermarket enhancement for the Flanker out there. As I have the same kit in my stash I will follow your build closely.

Cheers

Markus

• 2 weeks later...

Finally dug into the bits!!! First step was to wash all the resin to make sure the primer will stick so the parts were soaked overnight in a bowl of water with Comet then laid out to dry in the sun. There is a LOT of resin for this build. Like a LOT.

blue52_img_9242.jpg

blue52_img_9272.jpg

blue52_imag5947.jpg

All the parts are really well detailed. The Quickboost flaperons do need rivet work done, something the kit parts actually have. I’m still going to go with the resin parts because the hinge edge has more detail.

blue52_img_9247.jpg

blue52_img_9246.jpg

blue52_img_9245.jpg

blue52_img_9244.jpg

blue52_img_9243.jpg

blue52_img_9258.jpg

Eduard included two really well detailed pilot helmets and they’re a nice touch. I think I’ll rest them on the seats.

blue52_img_9254.jpg

blue52_img_9253.jpg

The Aires exhaust nozzles are incredible. There are even raised rivets on the outer layer of feathers! Although comparing them to the walk around images, a couple more minor rivet lines need to be added.

blue52_img_9262.jpg

blue52_img_9261.jpg

One thing Eduard does NOT include in the box is a resin combing, rather they rely on a poorly shaped and detailed photo etch piece. I took a good look at the Wolfpack piece from the stash and compared it to the Aires piece from the single-seater pit and the latter won out.

blue52_img_9252.jpg

Lastly, I found a reference of Blue 52 with a single Alamo C mounted on the intake pylon, so again Eduard’s Brassin saves the day. AMAZING detail…almost like it’s a mini kit itself…

blue52_img_9267.jpg

Speaking of armament, the kit pylons are crap so not only will I be using the ones provided in the Brassin sets (I’m pulling from other Alamo and Archer sets) but I’ll have to mix and match PIECES of the kit pylons because Eduard doesn’t supply matching “pre-pylon” mounts. Regardless, I laid out all the pylon upgrades according to design along with the placement of the Alamos.

blue52_img_9264.jpg

blue52_img_9265.jpg

blue52_img_9266.jpg

The Eduard cockpit parts and Aires nose wheel bay have these blocks on them that need to be cut off. Normally I wouldn’t worry about it but even with the barest of dry fitting it’s apparent space is needed.

blue52_img_9257.jpg

blue52_img_9256.jpg

blue52_img_9255.jpg

Radome wise, the shape of the resin part is spot on but alignment with the kit parts is off. Some fix its will need to happen there for sure.

blue52_img_9274.jpg

blue52_img_9273.jpg

As a tool use note, I’ve been using the really thin photo etch saws to cut the resin off the pour stubs, but it’s a bit flimsy so I slid the saw into the blade handle with an old blade as support.

blue52_imag5957.jpg

Lastly, I took a good look at all the main plastic parts and examined where new panel lines need to be scribed or old ones filled, where I need to make cuts to fit the resin parts and piled up all the parts that need rivets. I measured the distance on the kit rivets and while they may not be scale accurate, I figured I’d at least match as best I could with the new lines.

blue52_img_9268.jpg

blue52_img_9270.jpg

blue52_img_9269.jpg

blue52_img_9271.jpg

blue52_img_9251.jpg

blue52_img_9250.jpg

blue52_img_9249.jpg

blue52_img_9248.jpg

blue52_img_9275.jpg

Nicholas,

OMG!! I've never seen so much resin in one place for a particular build before. The cost for your build must have set a new personal high. This is going to one incredible build to follow. And finally the show has started.

Joel

Great load of resin replacement parts Nicholas...... but that nosewheel door needs the recess sorting out....

blue52_img_9243.jpg

...the real thing is less severe .... more 'dished'.....

su-30_076.jpg

And the rear slot is a gradual slope

Just trying to help....

Ken

To echo the other posts.......HOLY S@#* that is a lot of resin. Are you sure this isn't a resin kit!? Haha. And I though I used a lot of AM parts! You really are going for the hyper-accurate build! Keep up the intensity :thumbsup: . Looking forward to more.

-Mark

It’s funny, I look back at this past week and think I really haven’t done much on this project, then I look at the pictures! Every little step makes a big difference and I might just be getting to the major building sooner than I realize!

First up, I started riveting! The horizontal and vertical stabilizers were first up and assembled. There were a few lines that needed to be scribed as well as small access panels.

blue52_img_9286.jpg

blue52_img_9284.jpg

blue52_img_9282.jpg

The verticals were a little more complex so I made a new scribing template for the access panels.

blue52_img_9300.jpg

blue52_img_9299.jpg

blue52_img_9297.jpg

The lower fins also don’t come with the larger rivet markings so I used Hasegawa’s .75mm rivet punch tool.

blue52_img_9295.jpg

blue52_img_9294.jpg

The ‘stabes are looking the part already.

blue52_img_9298.jpg

Since the elevators are going to be drooped, the hinges need some extension work. It’s a little tricky trying to figure out curves and length by just dry fitting all the pieces, so an approximation took effect. Once the fins and fuselage pieces are assembled it should be easier to trim and fit the parts.

blue52_img_9288.jpg

blue52_img_9287.jpg

Not only are there new lines to be scribed, some need to be removed so I filled them with putty and began sanding smooth.

blue52_img_9277.jpg

blue52_img_9289.jpg

blue52_img_9276.jpg

I also started scribing the new lines on the wings.

blue52_img_9302.jpg

blue52_img_9301.jpg

While I was at it I sanded down the ejector pin marks on the inside of the intakes.

blue52_img_9293.jpg

So something funny also cropped up and it’s a bit of a hump. The wings are bent on both the top and bottom fuselage pieces. It’s probably my fault for packing the box so tight. I glued some steel rods into the bottom piece and it helped but there’s not enough room for them in the top section. I’ll have to work carefully with some heat from my desk lamp to reshape.

blue52_img_9291.jpg

blue52_img_9290.jpg

blue52_img_9292.jpg

And as Flankerman Ken shared that the nose gear door inset shape is wrong, so I’ll be re-sculpting that.

blue52_img_9278.jpg

I also trimmed all the blocks off the resin pieces….still a huge pile!!

blue52_img_9280.jpg

That process included cutting apart the pieces I need from the kit pylons.

blue52_img_9279.jpg

Edited by nicholassagan