1/48 Su-27UB Blue 52 Polar Flanker

Ok here we go. BIG updates.

A lot of major steps were accomplished. First up, I painted and clear coated the Alamo’s. They’re ready for decals and finishing.

blue52_img_9573.jpg

blue52_img_9607.jpg

Bang seats. Lots of color PE work and some healthy dry brushing.

blue52_img_9523.jpg

blue52_img_9524.jpg

blue52_img_9526.jpg

Instrument panels! Flat coated with AK matte then some Future in the dials.

blue52_img_9516.jpg

blue52_img_9517.jpg

blue52_img_9518.jpg

Repainted the upper fuselage inside and added some tiny bits of PE that will be hidden. :P

blue52_img_9512.jpg

blue52_img_9513.jpg

Edited by nicholassagan

The pits!! Painted with Tamiya light blue with some drops of white, yellow/green ejector rail, silver and black dry brushing, flat green foot boards, added stick PE and lastly some AK engine oil/streaking for grime. Final touch was adding the instrument panels and seats.

blue52_img_9554.jpg

blue52_img_9558.jpg

blue52_img_9559.jpg

blue52_img_9562.jpg

blue52_img_9565.jpg

blue52_img_9566.jpg

blue52_img_9567.jpg

blue52_img_9569.jpg

blue52_img_9570.jpg

blue52_img_9571.jpg

Before adding the lower fuselage a little bit of resin trimming was needed as well. The rear edge of the front tub and the front edge of the nose gear bay get in the way of one another so I cut a piece out of the latter.

blue52_img_9577.jpg

blue52_img_9578.jpg

The main wheel bays are also too tall to fit so I CAREFULLY used a Dremel to thin out the areas on the upper fuselage and the tops of the wheels bays. The plastic got a little too thin and warped ever so slightly. Chalk it up to a well-worn bird…

blue52_img_9574.jpg

blue52_img_9576.jpg

blue52_img_9579.jpg

blue52_img_9611.jpg

Regardless, the pits look good in their place.

blue52_img_9612.jpg

blue52_img_9589.jpg

blue52_img_9590.jpg

blue52_img_9591.jpg

Another anticipated issue with the fit of the lower fuselage is the radome. You can see there are a number of issues along the seams, the least of which is the fit of the unaltered plastic. I did some trimming and added some splints.

blue52_img_9586.jpg

blue52_img_9587.jpg

blue52_img_9592.jpg

blue52_img_9593.jpg

blue52_img_9594.jpg

blue52_img_9595.jpg

A final layer of putty will help smooth everything together. Some lines will need to be rescribed but ce la vie.

blue52_img_9633.jpg

blue52_img_9634.jpg

Figured I’d also build the vertical stabilizers while the putty set.

blue52_img_9620.jpg

blue52_img_9621.jpg

Once the lower fuselage was fit, some of the other seam issues became apparent. Luckily the Aires burner cans are designed so they don’t have to be installed along with the fuselage joining. I’ll be able to cut out some open panels and detail a bit while cleaning up the tail seams.

blue52_img_9596.jpg

blue52_img_9597.jpg

blue52_img_9599.jpg

blue52_img_9600.jpg

There is also some work needed along the trailing edge where the stabilizers meet.

blue52_img_9622.jpg

There was still some warpage issues with the wings that was slightly mitigated by adding the braced lower wings.

blue52_img_9598.jpg

blue52_img_9601.jpg

blue52_img_9602.jpg

blue52_img_9609.jpg

Again, there are some gaps at the wing root that need to be addressed.

blue52_img_9610.jpg

You can see adding the lower braced wings helped a touch with the warpage, but there is still some angling issue. The wings should be perfectly horizontal.

blue52_imag6618.jpg

blue52_img_9613.jpg

blue52_img_9614.jpg

blue52_img_9615.jpg

blue52_img_9616.jpg

blue52_img_9617.jpg

SOO using my jig and some bottles for weights, I hope that after a few days like this the proper angle will be there.

blue52_img_9636.jpg

Now for the intakes…Since the wheel bays are a bit taller than the kit allows for a small bulge occurs across the length of the intakes, so some clamping and delayed glueing was in order. The ended up aligning pretty will with the lower exhaust sections, but there were a few gaps.

blue52_img_9618.jpg

blue52_img_9619.jpg

blue52_img_9623.jpg

blue52_img_9624.jpg

blue52_img_9626.jpg

A thin sheet of styrene helped with one side and putty overall will help with both.

blue52_img_9632.jpg

Overall though, she’s looking like a Flanker. :)

blue52_img_9627.jpg

blue52_img_9629.jpg

blue52_img_9630.jpg

blue52_img_9635.jpg

Nicholas,

I'm truly impressed with your resin modifications, and all the extra work needed to fit, and blend them in. None of those gaps, and voids seemed to daunt you, yet I can assure you that if was me, I'd be popping one antacid after anther. Then you'll be spending quite a bit of time re-scribing. And here I am concerned about some minor scribing necessary on my F2A-3 after reworking the tail cone section.

Joel

Awesome, great progress! You really have the patience of a saint :thumbsup:

Watching this makes me really sad that I don't have time to work on my Flanker at the moment :(

Cheers

Markus

Nicholas,

As always, your updates are excellent and show off your skills and more importantly, as others have stated, your limitless patience! Nice stuff mate.

Just one thing to keep in mind that I noticed in your pics if I may. Those louvers are pretty fragile and too much back and forth will see them snap off. I had three of them come off and had to go fishing in the intakes to try and retrieve them. I ended taping a piece of paper over them just so I wouldn't massacre the rest of them during general handling.

Keep it up mate!

This is great work and great progress!

Really impressive.

The cockpit especially seems very nice and realistic.

But for the cockpit glasses, I would have used 2k auto gloss coats instead of future. Future shrinks alot when it dries and it does not give that glass effect well.

Recently, I used 2 component auto gloss coat for creating glass effect on an F-4 instrument panel. I just mixed a very tiny amount of it and applied with a cocktail stick. The auto gloss coat has very high capability to stick to vertical surfaces, does not run over or under different panels, gives a nice glass depth and it dries rock hard and clear as glass. Shrinkage is minimal but it would be better to apply it two or three coats.

regards,

salih

Edited by airea
  • 3 weeks later...

With the new baby and all I'm pretty sure this won’t get done in time for the SMA contest deadline…but I’m still going to plug along when I can. And I'm OK with that. :)

Finished the Alamos.

Assembled the flaps, still need to trim the rods.

Started the pylon work.

blue52_img_9640.jpg

blue52_img_9641.jpg

blue52_img_9642.jpg

blue52_img_9643.jpg

blue52_img_9644.jpg

blue52_img_9645.jpg

blue52_img_9646.jpg

blue52_img_9647.jpg

blue52_img_9650.jpg

blue52_img_9652.jpg

Edited by nicholassagan

Nicohlas,

Those Alamos missiles are truly outstanding. Super detailed and perfectly painted. And a very nice start to the pylons. I still remember what it was like when our son was born. Sometimes I went back to work early or stayed late, just to get some much needed rest.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
  • 9 months later...

The big spring contest on the other forum is firing up soon and one of the categories is Shelf Queen! LOL I'm hoping I can reign this one in in time :P Our daughter is now just over 9mo and I've been able to find some more time here and there for projects. I'm REALLY itching to get back to this though. However, I might just tackle a 1/72 version of this bird just to practice with the painting...

• 4 weeks later...