Master Barrels Spitfire "E" wing - mounting suggestions

It is coming up to time on my 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire XVIe build when I am considering how to mount the excellent barrels to my Spitfire. My mark 1 eyeball and logic suggests the outer circumference of the kit part is the same as the circumference of the turned metal. Therefore merely thinning said plastic to "slide" the barrels in would not work. I am considering removing the plastic by saw back to the front curved insert and then thinning the sides of plastic to create an oval, leaving hopefully a correctly sized hole. The obvious problem if I screw the pooch is that I will not have an insert to mount any cannon.

For those of you out there that have faced this first world problem...how did you resolve it?

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

Master also makes a set with 2 20mm canons and 2 blank covers that I've used in at least 6 Tamiya Spitfire 1/32 scale builds that just slip in the holes line up perfectly or IIRC with 4 20mm canons check out Sprue Brothers site.

Paul