GB poll - Spitfire: 80th anniversary

GB poll - Spitfire: 80th anniversary  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support a Spitfire 80th Anniversary Group Build?

Aloha,

I wanted to gauge support for a group build celebrating the 80th anniversary of the most beautiful plane (IMHO) to grace the skies, the Supermarine Spitfire.

Thought it would be nice to start the GB next year on the 80th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight, March 5, 1936 (though there is some confusion) and run it through the anniversary of the last operational RAF flight, January 1, 1951.

While it's a subject that is already quite popular, the last few years have been good to Spitfire fans with excellent kits at a variety of scales and Marks from multiple kit manufacturers. What say you all?

IMG_0114.jpg

That would have to be the longest GB in ARC history wouldn't it. I might just get one or two finished if the GB goes for 16 years. LOL.

:cheers:,

Ross.

Granted 8 months is a little long (not unprecedented though). We could shorten to another anniversary earlier than January 1....

September 15 (1940) - Battle of Britain Day (though the Hurricane fanatics would be right to point out that their fav was more appropriate to celebrate on that day)

August 4 (1938) - Entered service

I'm just happy for the excuse to build my favorite plane along with some others.

I certainly don't need excuses to build more Spitfires, and in multiple scales no less...

1/48

spitfin5.jpg

1/72

72Spitmk1-1a.jpg

Maybe I'll even take the time to finish some conversion work I want to do... such as perhaps turning this 1/72 Airfix PR XI conversion I was working on into a 1/48 one.

SpitPRXIwip2.jpg

Granted 8 months is a little long (not unprecedented though). We could shorten to another anniversary earlier than January 1....

September 15 (1940) - Battle of Britain Day (though the Hurricane fanatics would be right to point out that their fav was more appropriate to celebrate on that day)

August 4 (1938) - Entered service

I'm just happy for the excuse to build my favorite plane along with some others.

:D, Nick, I think 8 months is just fine. In fact 9 months would be even better. 6 months can be not long enough so I have no problem with 8 months

Jay, I'd love to see that conversion in scale. Wondering how you'd do that. :lol:

:cheers:,

Ross.

Well I would appreciate 8 months myself. I will be tackling one of my first 1/32 aircraft and could use the time. But I will also be doing at least one 1/72 Spit and perhaps a 1/48 as well. I mean it's the SPITFIRE for Pete sakes...you need more then one! :D

Regards,

Don.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! Mods have voted and the Spitfire GB is on the calendar !

March 1 - Septamber 1, 2016. Plenty of time to get your kits in order.

If anybody would like to help out as co-host, I'd welcome the guidance/help. I've participated in enough GB's that I think I can figure out what to do, but as a noob I'm sure something will fall through the cracks.

Suggestions for rules, offers of raffle prizes, and other forms of aid will be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0012.JPG

:woo: I am in with a 1/32 Revell Spitfire Mk. II with loads of resin and other aftermarket goodies. Looking forward to this GB as the Spitfire is without a doubt my favorite World War II fighter.
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

Great idea to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Spitfire's first flight! :thumbsup:

I hope to participate with at least one 1/48 scale Spitfire.

I see that the last Spitfire GB was in 2009... what a great number of awesome new Spitfire kits have we seen come onto the market since then.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Suggestions for rules, offers of raffle prizes, and other forms of aid will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

A question about the rules crossed my mind...Are Seafires allowed?

I have no problem either way, my project for the GB will be mixing a Mk I and a Mk Vb to build a cannon armed Mk I and Mk Va.

Cheers, Stefan.