How to correct the Italeri 1/72 Su-34?

I have read that the vertical stabilizers need correction, but I am not sure how. I've read that they give the taller prototype stabilizers and the production model has them shorter, but I have no reference drawings. How would I correct them?

What other bits need correcting? I know the wheel wells are not as accurate as they could be. Is the front well too small?

OK, here goes........

The single seat Su-27 had this style fin.....

fin_su-27prod.jpg

When they developed the two-seat Su-27UB, they increased the fin area by means of an insert at the base....

fin_su-27ub.jpg

The prototype Su-34 (T10V-1, Bort 42) had the taller Su-27UB style fins (as you would expect) - it also had single main wheels and a 'standard' tailboom.

All subsequent production Su-34's (T10V-2, Bort 43 onwards) reverted to the shorter single-seat style fins - as well as twin mainwheels and a longer tailboom.

The Italeri kit has the incorrect Su-27UB style fins - so just substitute a set of Su-27 fins - either nicked from a kit, or a resin replacement set (I can't remember who, if anyone does a set?).

Italeri Su-34/Su-27UB-style kit fins are at left, Su-27 fins at right.....

Photo%20012.JPG

My Su-34 build is here.

Hope this helps....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

To add to Ken, although not entirely on topic; The Su-27UB style fin is used on Irkut brand Su-30's (ie MKI/MKM/MKA/SM) and the "old" soviet Su-30. KnAAZ built Su-30's, Su-30MK/MKK/MK2/M2 use single seat fin. I am talking about the insert only here.

And if you want to make a production Su-34 you have to choose a particular one. They have had changes introduced throughout production.

Wow, thanks for the link Ken. I had searched for builds of the the Italeri Su 34 many years ago and somehow never found yours. I love that aircraft and I got tired of waiting on it being released in 1/48 so bought the Italeri kit several years ago. I see it has been re-released but I have the early issue.

I did manage to pick up the Neomega set which makes a world of difference. I have also only seen one build of this and it is quite large so I am not too disappointed in the size.

Thanks again for sharing your link.

It's all historical....

KnAAZ (then KnAAPO) originally built the single-seater, then the Su-33, then the original Su-35 (T10M) 'Super Flanker'.

Irkut built only the two-seat Su-27UB - and all was well in the firmament.

Then, following the breakup of the SU, Irkut began to develop and market their Su-27UB as a multi-role type.

They ended up with the Su-30MKI/MKM/MKM (for India, Malaysia & Algeria) - with canards, TVC nozzles etc - and in order to maintain directional stability, increased the chord of the rudder.....

fin_su-30mki.jpg

The Chinese, meanwhile, were looking for a similar multi-role two-seater - but could not approach Irkut because of the Indian connection (the Indians didn't want Chinese spies looking at their Su-30MKI) - so they approached KnAAPO - who then developed their own Su-30M variant.

This did not have canards nor TVC - but it did have the big, wet(fuel) fin left over from the Su-35 program.....

fin_su-35.jpg

This evolved into the Su-30MKK (for China) - as well as the Su-30MKV, Su-30MK2 etc - and is in service with Venezuela, Vietnam, Indonesia, Angola etc....

So there are now two 'rival' two-seat multi-role Flankers - the Su-30MKK and the Su-30MKI and derivatives.

Lately, Russia has started to use both types - as the Su-30M2 (MKK) and Su-30SM (MKI) respectively.

Here endeth the lesson..... I bet you are sorry you asked now !!!

Ken

One very visible mistake from Italeri is also the wrong outline of the roof/side windows. Easily corrected by not following the original window pane line at the rear. Check some reference photos and you'll notice the wrong tilt of this line.

Thanks, turns out that I couldn't figure out the vertical stabilizer problem, because 5 years ago I already used the correct stabs from the other flanker kit. I unearthed this project years later and forgot what I had done.

Anyway, I haven't had a look at the decals, but these markings for #43 are the decals from the tamiya box, right? I want to do this scheme:

1.jpg

What colors are a good match for this, from Gunze/Tamiya? I can't get Akan paint easily.

Edited by Sausage
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm the lucky guy with a lucky Su-34 from britmodeller (I have different nick here).

If you want to have a good Su-34 I suggest you to wait until someone release a new mold.

If you can't wait, this is a must have list kept to minimum for serial production machines:

Pavla cockpit

Olimp resin set

Authentic Decals stencils

North Star nozzles

What you are asking for is 2nd prototype, which is different in instrument panel, nose pitot tube and front leg / ladders. I think tail stinger could also be different.

As for paints, I?m color-blind. whistle.gif

This is one of my scratchbuilt verticals compared with original Italeri. I made mine according to drawings from internet, true to 1/72 scale, and so are panel lines.

P1132728.jpg