Ilyushin Il-4 Xuntong 1/48

After the great Tu-2 I was keen to build the Il-4 as well. After opening the box I was disappointed as the panel lines are very heavy. On the other hand, this is ideal for a heavy weathering - a "must" for this type!

Beside this, the build was without any problems. The fit was excellent, a very few amount of filler was needed (nose section only). Also the design was quite good, the level of detail is great - and not that overengineered than the Tu-2. Unfortunately a lot of the interior is invisible.

I used Eduard PE and masks (a must!).

I'm a big fan of naval aviation, so it was clear to build this version. As I have a lot of planes with torpedoes, this time a sea-mine was installed! The big mine with the aerodynamical covers and fin (wooden in original) looks great!

The original flew in 1st Guard Naval Torpedo Regiment over the Baltic Sea, summer/autumn 1944.

I was really happy with the build and the result. Now Xuntong, come on with the SB!

DSC_0415_zpsd2v07p5v.jpg

DSC_0414_zpsmywiqtup.jpg

DSC_0413_zpsykj7a7a4.jpg

DSC_0412_zpswvt3r4mi.jpg

DSC_0418_zps4daorz1w.jpg

DSC_0417_zpsgnjzfghv.jpg

DSC_0416_zpsdsqr80e4.jpg

DSC_0419_zps7qrcrgkk.jpg

What a great build! How did you do the amazing chipped weathering?

First time I used the salt technique. Very easy and convincing result. On youtube I found some instructions.

Summary:

- paint silver

- make a paste from salt and just a drop of water

- apply spots of this with a hard brush on desired areas

- let it dry

- airbrush cammo

- wipe-off the salt with the cammo color (toothbrush is useful)

• 2 weeks later...

First time I used the salt technique. Very easy and convincing result. On youtube I found some instructions.

Summary:

- paint silver

- make a paste from salt and just a drop of water

- apply spots of this with a hard brush on desired areas

- let it dry

- airbrush cammo

- wipe-off the salt with the cammo color (toothbrush is useful)

Thanks!

The author has done a wonderful model! Great work! If I'm not mistaken became the prototype of this aircraft.

34-3.jpg

But camouflage it from 2 colors and 3. This is most likely black, green and sand. Also "cap" on the fin and trimmers were not red, but yellow. Compare with their color the color of the star and tactical numbers. The prototype still had the "ribs" of the gain on the rear fuselage.

Edited by Bolschoj Phantome

But camouflage it from 2 colors and 3. This is most likely black, green and sand. Also "cap" on the fin and trimmers were not red, but yellow. Compare with their color the color of the star and tactical numbers. The prototype still had the "ribs" of the gain on the rear fuselage.

I agree that the color of the tail cap (as well of the number) is hypothetical, maybe you are right.

On the other hand I'm absolute sure that the cammo scheme is correct as a black-nosed, two colored plane (AMT-4 and AMT-6). The cammo areas of three-tone Il's according to Directive No 2389/0133 of July, 3rd 1943 is complete different to this one - and this one is complete according the NKAP-order of June 20th 1941 for two-tome Il's. Another proof: Together with the three-tone cammo the thick white outlined stars came up.

The reinforcing strips on aft fuselage and tail were usually installed on planes build from 1943, mostly in combination with M-88-engines. Maybe I made a mistake. Will not change it :-)

Edited by Floggerman