1/48 scale GWH P-61 vs. Hobby Boss P-61

Hi guys! The P-61 is my favorite plane of all time. I've built eight or nine of the Monogram P-61s and I'm kind of curious about trying out the other manufacturers' offerings.

When I say "Which is 'better'?", I mean in several aspects such as fit, accuracy, stance, etc. Is one kit over engineered?

I've read a few reviews on line but I wanted to get some more opinions. I've got the urge to build another Black Widow and I've got a couple of bucks rattling around in my pocket. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the Revell-Monogram kit or one of the newer kids on the block is worth the extra expense. (Just to let you know, I'm as cheap as they come. I can pick up a Monogram P-61 at Hobby Lobby for about $10. But it someone says "Hey Eric, give the XYZ brand P-61 a try. You won't be disappointed", then I'll crack open my wallet.)

Thanks!

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Hi guys! The P-61 is my favorite plane of all time. I've built eight or nine of the Monogram P-61s and I'm kind of curious about trying out the other manufacturers' offerings.

When I say "Which is 'better'?", I mean in several aspects such as fit, accuracy, stance, etc. Is one kit over engineered?

I've read a few reviews on line but I wanted to get some more opinions. I've got the urge to build another Black Widow and I've got a couple of bucks rattling around in my pocket. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the Revell-Monogram kit or one of the newer kids on the block is worth the extra expense. (Just to let you know, I'm as cheap as they come. I can pick up a Monogram P-61 at Hobby Lobby for about $10. But it someone says "Hey Eric, give the XYZ brand P-61 a try. You won't be disappointed", then I'll crack open my wallet.)

Thanks!

Eric

Like you, I've built a bunch of RM P-61's(10,8 for myself), one GWH kit completed puls another 4-5 RM kits is various stages of completion. SO, there's not much I can tell you about the RM kit you don't already know. The GWH kit, while much higher in price has outstanding overall fit but has it's own share of errors and quirks. The nose gear strut is way too short(there is a metal replacement set available for it) The control wheel is fully twice the size it should be(I'd replace it with one from an RM kit) and is placed too far forward as is the instrument panel, both are easy fixes, though. The one boo-boo that isn't easily fixable is the transition from the booms to the vertical stabs. It's rounded off instead of concave like it should be. The Hobby Boss kit while I haven't had hands on with this kit, from everything I've read and the photos I've seen, I would put it below the old RM kit as it has some serious(but fixable) shape problems with the crew nacelle in the area around the turret location.

Cheers, Terry

(Certifiable P-61 NUT!!!)

I do have weights for both Rm and GWH kits.