74th TFS A-10A during ODS

This one has been on my mind for some time now, and I'd really like to see it on my shelf. Since it's a Tiger Group Build I finally have an excuse to do so:) As usual, it's 1/72 for me.

The ejection seat in the Academy kit is horrible, so I'm going to use the seat from a Revell F-16. As for the extras I have an old Eduard PE set for the cockpit, and I'll use Superscale Decals. Just in case I have a Print Scale sheet for the sharkmouth.

DSCN4060.JPG

Hey... maybe I'll even use a pilot :D Thanks for looking!

Hey Captain! Well there are already some very nice and colourfull birds in this gb. I just figured this one would go well with them, You know, since green is a colour ;) lol.

Hey Benner! You're right! I too had trouble finding any pics of this bird in a green suit. Still, dstorm.eu has some pics of other 74th tfs jets, so I figured 291 probably looked similar. Close enough is good enough I guess :)

Edited by Thadeus

Since I've had some time all to myself today, I have to take a break from my Su-34, I've decided to start this Pig :)

Unfortunatly, the only picture I took of cockpit is blurred :( Still, I've used the Eduard PE and added the aft bulkhead. Though it's pretty much fictious - I built it the way it was convinient for me, not the way it was accurate ;)

DSCN4100.JPG

Wings are glued, so is most of the engine nacelles. This Hog is going to be a Putty Hog... I've added 0,25 mm plastic card to the trailing edge to ensure better fit.

DSCN4101.JPG

The fuselage is going to need a lot of putty.

DSCN4102.JPG

Some PE was added to te engines.

DSCN4103.JPG

It's looks almost like an A-10 ;)

Thanks for looking!

Hi Nat! Thanks for stopping by :) It sure does feel strange not to build a Hornet ;)

I've pretty much completed the airframe. I nearly forgot how nice the Hog looks :)

DSCN4104.JPG

To make sanding and filling easier, I've cut all the antennae. Most of them would be sanded anyway. I've added some antennae on the nose and tail. Also, I've attempted to show the chaff/flare launchers on the underside. I still have to sand the putty. Next time I'll do this differently.

DSCN4112.JPG

All that's left is to add the PE to the cockpit, mask the windshield and canopy and the exhaust area, and I'm ready to paint this Pig :)

Oink! Oink! ;)

Thanks for watching [and please, eat more chicken ;) ]

Oink Oink! Ready to recieve the warpaint... errr I mean decals! Oink Oink! ;)

DSCN4114.JPG

I've had to repaint the ALQ-119, apparently they were fs 34092, not olive drab ;)

I wonder though, was the centerline rack loaded with weapons? I'd love to put 7 rockeye's on my bird but somehow I doubt I can put 3 under the fuselage.

Edited by Thadeus

Dang, You're right :( 6 Mk-20's would be much more interesting than 4. It seems I shouldn't have installed pylons #2 and 10. Ah... should've paid more attention to the loadout.

I hope I'll have this one decaled today.

I don't think I have any -68's :( I've attempted to scratch something similar, but failed. Drilling 7 holes in a plastic rod is apparently above my skills. I could try to replicate the launcher using needles, but frankly, I don't have that much paitience, so I'm going to leave those pylons empty. :) Good enough for me I guess :)

I've finished decaling yesterday. :banana: I wanted to seal them in the evening, but got carried away by some other stuff.

I was quite happy with it, since for some time now I've been wanting an euro I A-10 with a sharkmouth :) I know there are much better models out there, done with more skill or tlc, but frankly, It's good to have one of my own :)

DSCN4117.JPG

All good things come to an end. DAMN! Stupid me... Today I realised, I've mixed up the TAC badge with unit badge... Ffffffff! :bandhead2:

Rigt about then I was real glad I didn't seal those decals the other evening... Funny thing is, I've been looking at my ref pics the whole time while I was decaling...

So I took that Micro Set bottle and started to remove those precious 74th FS decals from BOTH fins. I've applied generos amounts of fluid on the decals, very patiently and delicately started to lift them, and they came off. Starboard side decal tore a bit, but I've managed to move it, while the port side decal came off perfectly. I didn't bother with lifting those TAC badges, as I've had some spare ones on the decal sheet.

DSCN4120.JPG

DSCN4123.JPG

It's a shame, but some of the colours on the decal sheet were off register. I guess I can live with it (I'll have to).

DSCN4126.JPG

And the crisis was averted :) As I was removing decals, I've replaced the fuel receptacle decal, as I placed it a little to low.

There are some minor mistakes I've made during decaling, such as wrong angle on the England AFB code on the tails, but I dared not to touch it. Perfect is the enemy of good.

DSCN4119.JPG

And today, I've attempted to make a replacement ladder, as the real one doesn't look like the one in the kit. I guess it's good enough for me. I do seem to say that a lot, don't I? ;)

Thanks Captain! Right now the beast is 99% done. All that is left are some minor touchups, adding some detail and such. Oh... and eliminating a gluey thumbprint I've left on the fuselage... F. :bandhead2:

However, I've managed to procure quite cheaply something resembling LAU-68's :D And I'm going to get an extra Italeri OA-10A for free ;) I'm just waiting for them to arrive :) Lucky me ;) :banana:

Thanks for stopping by! :cheers:

And so this part of the journey has come to an end :) I really like how it turned out. I even managed to build a couple of LAU-68's. Unfortunatly, those launchers in Italeri OA-10 were too big. So I attempted once again to built them using piece of 4 mm sprue. They are still too big, but I guess it's better than nothing :) In the end, I've used an Aires seat that I've had in my spares box, added rails from T shaped beams, as I didn't have any H shaped. While not perfect, I really like how it turned out :) Plus, I've really enjoyed building this beast :) I guess I should do one more in the near future.

DSCN4130.JPG

DSCN4139.JPG

DSCN4141.JPG

Thanks for all Your support Guys :cheers: