I built myself a new display cabinet

Hi all,

I finally have a new cabinet to store my finished models. I built it out of stainless steel and glass in between two cabinets from IKEA. It is dust proof which will keep my models clean.

Cabinet%201.jpg

Cabinet%202.jpg

I think I can store about 50-60 1/48 models, which is enough for few years to come.

Let me know your comments.

Juan

Edited by solher1

panel lines are all wrong.

is it a kit or did you have to find the parts?

All the pieces were custom made to fit the area I was putting it on. Everything is bolted together except the doors which were welded and then hinged to the main frame.

I designed it and put it together based on models I already have.

The glass holders are off the shelf parts.

More photos with models in it later.

Thanks.

Juan

Hi all,

I finally have a new cabinet to store my finished models. I built it out of stainless steel and glass in between two cabinets from IKEA. It is dust proof which will keep my models clean.

Cabinet%201.jpg

Cabinet%202.jpg

I think I can store about 50-60 1/48 models, which is enough for few years to come.

Let me know your comments.

Juan

Freeking sweet. I need this For my house. Please post your materials and how you put it all together. What is the model # of those Ikea cabinets?

I'm more then just impressed. I wish I had the talent to do something like that. If you don't mind. What does a display cabinet like yours costs?

Joel

Hi Joel,

I don't know exactly how much it cost me, but it would be a few thousand dollars if I had someone else doing it for me. I own a metal fabrication shop and that made the cost much lower. I designed all the parts, had my team cut all the pieces and I put everything together since everything is bolted.It is really like a kit that one person can assemble.

Width and depth was based on the Ikea cabinets, but the height and quantity of glass shelves was up to me. If I had used regular steel, it would have been at least half the price.

I get very good prices in glass and mirror from our glass suplier.

It will have lights eventually, all the wires are concealed inside the tubes.

Juan

Looks great.

For years I want to achieve something like that but getting a completely dust-proof is not easy.

I agree with you it is not easy, but I did my best to make it dust-proof, but time will tell.

Juan

Juan,

I've been fighting the good fight concerning dust, and at best it's an even draw. More often then not, Mr. & Mrs. Dust win time and time again over the long haul.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Hey, Sniffer.....awesome work on your showcase. Very well-done. The best I've seen any where. Show it again, please, as soon as you've got some models in there.

I commented on placing models in it before going thru the complete thread. Models fit in there perfectly. Great work on the models. They deserve the fine space you're giving them.