"Bug In A Box" 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18C VFA-105 1994

I have been waiting for your next update Jake. I hope to see one soon.

-Mark

Mark:

Should hopefully have an update soon. I should finally have some time to do some work this week. I still need to rebuild the HUD, and install the flight controls on the starboard wing. Honestly, my SNAFU with the HUD during windscreen install really sucked the wind out of my sails, but now I am ready to give it another go.

But enough about my build, this is your thread. Keep up the good work!

Jake

• 3 weeks later...

Update 5/13/15

Hello again, I have a small update to share. Much like my A-10 build there is a lot of tedious blending going on here with my build in addition to some minor panel additions left out of the kit as it is straight out of the box

20150502_115746.jpg

You can see here some panel detail added to the wing fold hinge area at the aft portion of the wing. I have included an unaltered wing section for comparison. There is also some additional work that I need to do to each of the front portions of the wings, again at the hinge line, that were missing from the original kit part. That is currently in progress. I have ARC member jacobp51 to thank for helping me "dial in" on the panel detail. Thanks Jake!

20150513_183323.jpg

Here I am trying to show how poor the alignment is from gluing the bottom wing halves to the existing bottom wing half in the way of panel lines. Currently I have been sanding and working at filling these panel lines to re-scribe them. Both wings have the same issue.

20150513_183309.jpg

Thanks to Pete Fleischmann's book The Scale Hornet and Jeff Thompson's build, I was able to re-enforce the structure of the upper fuselage half.......

20150513_183132.jpg

.... and the lower half. You can see in both that I chose to open some vents and used gold coffee filter mesh to imitate the vent mesh. It's not quite right but, does look better than the plastic detail. Since I chose to not use the Rhino Models seamless intakes, I was able to add more support to the lower fuselage. The additional styrene strip stock that you see for the landing gear was replacement for modifications I made in order to use the Rhino intakes.

20150513_183236.jpg

Finally the nose. I chose this shot so you all can see how the scribing is turning out. I am pleased. For the nose, I eliminated an additional panel line that runs parallel to the "hinge" portion where the radar would be accessed. I looked and studied and I could not find an additional line. I also chose to eliminate the recessed "slime lights" since they will be done with decals.

That's all I have for now. I am waiting on additional paint and supplies to put the fuselage halves together. For now, it's easier to work with the wings with the fuselage sections apart. I am hoping to have the halves together by June by the latest.

Thanks all for checking out my work here and know that it maybe slow but, I am very much vested in the project. Until next time!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

I have ARC member jacobp51 to thank for helping me "dial in" on the panel detail. Thanks Jake!

No problem at all, Mark. I admire your patience and attention to detail. Re-scribing takes dedication - not just to getting the lines correct, but also actually doing the job. I am impressed, and can't wait to see how the kit comes together.

Also, nice work on the internal aft fuselage spacers/support. It's odd that Hasegawa has never bothered to correct this, given all the other additions and configurations they have boxed over the many years this kit has been on the market.

Keep it up! You're almost caught up to my build!

Jake

Impressive work Mark! I'm keeping tips for a future build for sure!!

Kike thanks for the kind words about my work! I am really just following Jeff Thompsons work in Pete Flieshmann's book. Things like the fuselage bracing are only really just talked about with no pictures specific to it but, Jeff Thompson does discuss it pretty good. So the bracing is my take on what he was talking about. It makes a strong and stable area between the fuselage halves for sanding and blending. There are many great tips from all the contributors in it and I would highly recommend it to you. Thanks for stopping in and participating.

-Mark

No problem at all, Mark. I admire your patience and attention to detail. Re-scribing takes dedication - not just to getting the lines correct, but also actually doing the job. I am impressed, and can't wait to see how the kit comes together.

Also, nice work on the internal aft fuselage spacers/support. It's odd that Hasegawa has never bothered to correct this, given all the other additions and configurations they have boxed over the many years this kit has been on the market.

Keep it up! You're almost caught up to my build!

Jake

Hey Jake! Thanks for stopping in and liking my work here. I did find it strange myself that Hasegawa hadn't fixed this issue but, with so many variants based off of the same kit maybe it just would have cost too much for the new tooling? Who knows!? I do know the molds are quite expensive. Hope things have settled down a bit for you so that you can update us all with your work sometime soon. Right now it's a "slow go" going between the two kits so I may not catch up to you. We will see.

-Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Update 6/2/15

Well hello all again! I finally have some pictures worthy of a post.

I had arrived at a point where I was getting ready to glue the two fuselage halves together but, I needed to work on the intakes. Initially I had an idea of how to approach this by applying the finished paint to the inside of the kit intakes. My initial attempt didn't render a sharp demarcation line from the gray color to the "stained" tan look of the intakes so, I tried it again but this time starting with the intakes dipped in Tamiya XF-57 buff. The 10ml jar that I had was large enough to fit the intake into to get me the clean demarcation line I had desired.

20150527_090801.jpg

20150527_091142.jpg

After the intakes were dipped, I masked both intakes to create a gradation of color using Tamiya XF-10 Flat Brown and Tamiya XF-69 Nato Black for a gradual darkening towards the back of the intake. The intake was then "capped off" with sheet styrene painted with Testor's Aircraft Interior Black.

20150527_122429.jpg

20150527_141530.jpg

20150527_141503.jpg

Edited by taggor

Update 6/2/15 Cont.

Prior to working with the kit intakes I prepped the upper fuselage cockpit area or "turtle deck" and finished off the "Hell Hole."

20150516_184423.jpg

20150516_184348.jpg

Next I worked really hard to make the intakes work with the lower fuselage. Since I am "late to the game" in regards to the Hasegawa line of 1/48 hornets, I am sure that the poor fit of the intakes has been discussed many times over. Well, I suppose I am just affirming that! Haha.

20150528_114545.jpg

This shot of the underside is supposed to show all the "fit issues." The gray color is Gunze Mr. Color 308 which is the base finish color for the underside. I wanted to pre-paint the "tight" areas around the intake splitter plates so that I wouldn't have to "flood" those areas with paint when I get to applying the final paint coats. As a plus, you can see how much nicer the re-scribing shows off the panels. I am pleased.

20150528_114436.jpg

20150528_114425.jpg

Finally a couple of shots of the assembled fuselage halves and nose. I was a little disappointed at the alignment of some of the panel lines, even at the nose but, I have decided to let them be and just work at blending the joints as is. I certainly am happy that its starting to look like a plane! So now begins the task of working some of those misaligned portions. One of which was at the aft end engine heat panels? The scribed lines did not match up from the top to the bottom.

20150528_114704.jpg

So... out with the Medium Zap-A-Gap to fill in the lines that don't match up. Well, that's it for now. I am working on the blend from back to front and hope to have most of it done by the end of the month. We will see how it goes! Thanks for stopping in and until next time!

-Mark

Edited by taggor

Looking good, Mark! I was wondering when you get around to another update.

Your intake treatment is very convincing. I like the way you used color gradient to terminate the kit intakes.

Also, very nice work on the re-scribing! The results are very crisp.

I've made some baby-step progress on my build, but nothing I'd consider a major update. I have struggled getting the seams along the lower LEX surfaces to blend out. After some Tamiya putty, sanding, and some Mr. Surfacer, I could still see the joint. Last night I applied some more putty, liberally. I am thinking I didn't allow a long enough cure time before, so hopefully a couple days of curing will help me out. That has been my sole hold up on final surface prep and paint. I painted the verticals, and positioned the rudders. I also have the ordnance built, awaiting paint. Starting to install the pylons on the lower wing. I should be able to shoot paint soon. I have been waiting for some nice warm SoCal days, and mother nature finally delivered! Time to get to work!

Your updates help give me the push I need to get moving! Keep 'em coming!

-Jake

Looking good, Mark! I was wondering when you get around to another update.

Your intake treatment is very convincing. I like the way you used color gradient to terminate the kit intakes.

Also, very nice work on the re-scribing! The results are very crisp.

I've made some baby-step progress on my build, but nothing I'd consider a major update. I have struggled getting the seams along the lower LEX surfaces to blend out. After some Tamiya putty, sanding, and some Mr. Surfacer, I could still see the joint. Last night I applied some more putty, liberally. I am thinking I didn't allow a long enough cure time before, so hopefully a couple days of curing will help me out. That has been my sole hold up on final surface prep and paint. I painted the verticals, and positioned the rudders. I also have the ordnance built, awaiting paint. Starting to install the pylons on the lower wing. I should be able to shoot paint soon. I have been waiting for some nice warm SoCal days, and mother nature finally delivered! Time to get to work!

Your updates help give me the push I need to get moving! Keep 'em coming!

-Jake

Hey Jake! Thanks for stopping in (as always!). Thanks for liking my progress here too! I just got a tip on not using Tamiya's putty for any major gap filling from Joel W's build on his Buffalo. The tip came from Jorge Oppenheimer in a response he made to Joel's WIP. He mentioned about shrinkage over time. I have been using Medium Zap-A-Gap for some of my filling work. It works quite well when cured too. The gaps in the LEX shouldn't be very big at any rate. I am looking for a good polyester putty substitute for my favorite Mori Mori. I really don't want to try Bondo but, it's the closest I can think of at the moment. Polyester putty wont shrink over time. I just think the granules will be too large for model work. Yeah... about the delay between posts... you see, I have this other kit I am doing too.... Oh yeah, my A-10! Haha. I have to pace myself so that I have focus when I go between kits. Somehow I knew this would slow things up by trying to do two kits. Hopefully a lesson learned! It sure hasn't stopped me from buying more kits and imagining them being built..... I think I have enough to last me until well beyond retirement if I can still have motor skills to even work on the things! Haha. I will be looking for your next update Jake.

-Mark

20150528_114704.jpg

Hello Mark, although I am silent, I also follow this fon your job at this time is great!

Excellent solution for grids, even when I did my Hornet I used it only that I made finer plastic to prevent it might be one step too high.....

F-18CAGGRESSOR1023.jpg

F-18CAGGRESSOR1022.jpg

If I can afford to give you a suggestion, I advise you to reinforce colors inside the pit, once all completed, it will be very dark and you will lose all the work you have done....

F-18CAGGRESSOR1042.jpg

F-18CAGGRESSOR1043.jpg

F-18CAGGRESSOR1087.jpg

F-18CAGGRESSOR1088.jpg

F-18CAGGRESSOR1086.jpg

The fact remains that the model is your as well as tastes so mine is only a suggestion, nothing more! :)/>

Edited by Spad

Hello Vincenzo! Thank you so much for your post and the pictures of your Hornet! They are beautiful. I will keep them for when I get to one of my own builds. I see you used the Aires pit and I want to do the same with some of my own kits. This build is for a friend and he wanted the canopy closed so I see what you are saying about it being dark. This work was born out of that conversation that you participated in on my A-10 build when we had the discussion of all the added detail that I was adding. I challenged myself to build this kit from the box (mostly). Your suggestions are always welcome and I appreciate them very much! Speaking of my A-10. I should have an update there too soon. I have been working primarily on the elevator assembly. A couple small details to add yet and then I will update. Thanks again Vincenzo!

-Mark

• 4 years later...

So..... it's been about four years now since I started this WIP. I can finally put this thread to rest. Sorry I was not able to continue providing content up until the end but, I have really appreciated all the folks who stopped by to offer encouragement, critique, and support. I will have a collection of pics of this build in the display case and since I am actively working on models again, I will try to revive my old A-10 thread too if I have time. Thanks!

-Mark

20200107_175458-640x480.jpg