Army helicopter crews

However, doing some loadies can be great too.

Norbert

Yes!

Our flying suits are identical to the standard issue Military Flying Suit for the most part. The only difference is we have the DPCU pattern rather than the plain green of the RAAF/Navy. There are deviations depending on operational theater etc but as a standard suit it is the 2-piece DPCU pattern Nomex.

I may be able to loan you an Australian, two-piece, flying suit & belt if you're interested.

Greg

Many thanks

I'm interested, that would be great.

I can also buy it, if the price is reasonable (size M regular or L regular)

for what I do, it can be reasonnably used

Are Belleville boots OK ?

cheers

Norbert

Would love to see some nam era SPH-4B helmets and gear.

Rod.

SPH-4B or better a SPH-4 ? most of the pictures I see show a single visor helmet, and sometimes also the APH-5.

However, SPH-4B can be used up to desert storm...

Norbert

How about some 80's era flight gear. It was the 1 piece nomex flight suit and SRU-21P survival best with standard flight gloves.

Here's a pic of me in my flight gear before a flight.

1226142333_zpsiawxwls_edit_1419657190303_zpsayzhr1wy.jpg

Tim

i remember the days of the pickle suit! thanks to my short stature, i managed to get to keep wearing the one piece when everyone else was switching over to the ABDUs because they never had my size...

here's me in front of my bird in bosnia, 1998:

3271602456_3373f8d0f2_o.jpg

How about some 80's era flight gear. It was the 1 piece nomex flight suit and SRU-21P survival best with standard flight gloves.

Here's a pic of me in my flight gear before a flight.

1226142333_zpsiawxwls_edit_1419657190303_zpsayzhr1wy.jpg

Tim

+1.. I'm not an expert but would that gear also work for a later-war Vietnam era pilot/crew member? Obviously some detail differences (velcro on the helmet for one).

Also, Norbert - any plans to provide NVG's for your most excellent figures? I know Live Resin has a bunch but am not sure if they have the ANVIS googles and mountings that flight crews have used. I'd love to see a helmet with a set of those ancient PVS-5's that the first pilots used back in the early 80's, just to dress up my Littlebird helo.

PVS-5's, uh! I remember them. They were the reason for the Velcro on our shields. And to make matters worse, we had to attach lead weights to the back of our helmets to even out the weight of the goggles on the front.

Thank goodness for the the 6's!

And yes, I don't see why the flight gear setup could not be used for later era VN.

You'll need to take off the long rectangular pocket (PRC-90 radio) and replace it with 2 separate pockets.

The PRC pocket was a mid 80's mod if I remember right.

Tim

PVS-5's, uh! I remember them. They were the reason for the Velcro on our shields. And to make matters worse, we had to attach lead weights to the back of our helmets to even out the weight of the goggles on the front.

LOL, those things sucked. I used them briefly as a grunt before we got the -7's (they were actually pretty nice). Hard enough using them to drive with or in the woods, can't imagine trying to fly with them.

Never knew that was the reason for the velcro patches, figured it was something to attach a strobe to if you ended up in the water, kinda like what the Navy had on their helmets.

No, there was Velcro on the front for the straps and Velcro on the back for the weight. Their was also a rubber tube that went around the back of the helmet and it snapped into 2 snaps on the helmet's side.

Those snapped into the goggle snaps when being used. Here's 2 pics I found on a collector's forum.

post-2757-1228969152_zpscpqahfkq.jpg

post-2757-1228969403_zpsajrpjdvf.jpg

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

No, being in the 82nd Airborne, I just used my jump boots to fly in. We could never fly in our jungle boots because of the fabric (I think it was nylon) on the sides. It was a burn hazard.

Good old fashioned Corcoran jump boots!!!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench

ESSS bird huh?

Nice looking hawk. Got any pics of your medevac bird?

Tim

I do! I will dig them out and post them when i get back to my build. i am starting to feel bad for hijacking Norbert's thread!

:)/>

-Ramon

Hey Norbert, when are the seated pilots going to be ready in 1/35 scale?

Richard

Hi Richard

I'm on them, look close to be finnish but some deep rework has to be done.

Hopefully in 2 weeks...

Norbert

I do! I will dig them out and post them when i get back to my build. i am starting to feel bad for hijacking Norbert's thread!

:)/>/>

-Ramon

Hi Ramon

Do not worry, it's a pleasure for me to have you sharing your experiences and pics here.

Norbert

Hi Norbert

My order arrived today in Australia. All good condition and I must say I'm astounded at the level of detail when seen up close. So much detail that I think the 1/48 will be quite hard to paint to get full advantage.

Any hints on preparation & painting ? What should work best on this material?