Army helicopter crews

Hey Norbert ,

brother I am amazed at your attention to detail and your willingness to fill a void in the helicopter modeling world. But I see so many request and excited model builders that I am also surprised you are still able to focus and stay on track. I remember a phrase " if you build it , they will come " Keep up the good work.

Edited by ccrqw602002
  • 2 weeks later...

good day my friend Norbert , are the pilots and seated aircrew as well as the USAF Huey crews ready for purchase yet? If not when do you estimate they will be available. I would love to make a purchase soon

So much to do, so few time !

It appeared the seated pilots were sitting too high for the accademy model...I'm lowering them. Want to have the good compromises so that your models look great with them.

It will need some more days, but they are now in my priorities

Norbert

So much to do, so few time !

It appeared the seated pilots were sitting too high for the accademy model...I'm lowering them. Want to have the good compromises so that your models look great with them.

It will need some more days, but they are now in my priorities

Norbert

Hi Norbert, looking forward to this. Out of curiosity, how do you lower them? Just shave some material off their posteriors to account for settling into the seat or do you physically shorten the pilot?

Anyone know if these figures will work for an 80's / 90's Army pilot? I'm assuming if they are circa 2005 USAF pilots, they would not have the "chicken plate" armor used by Vietnam flight crews?

Anyone know if these figures will work for an 80's / 90's Army pilot? I'm assuming if they are circa 2005 USAF pilots, they would not have the "chicken plate" armor used by Vietnam flight crews?

If you are talking about these guys, no they will not work for '80s-'90s Army pilots.

35a_zpsvfj3jgm2.jpg

They are actually based on modern US Army pilots/crew. Their uniform, gear, and helmets are too modern. They have ACU flight suits, more modern airsafe vests, and HGU-56 helmets.

'80s-'90s Army pilots would be wearing the older green (coverall-style; pajamas) flight suits, survival vests and maybe chicken-plate armor, and SPH-4 helmets.

Like this handsome guy...

1226142333_zpsiawxwls_edit_1419657190303_zpsayzhr1wy.jpg

If you are talking about these guys, no they will not work for '80s-'90s Army pilots.

'80s-'90s Army pilots would be wearing the older green (coverall-style; pajamas) flight suits, survival vests and maybe chicken-plate armor, and SPH-4 helmets.

Thought on a prev post Norbert mentioned 2005 USAF UH-1N crew. I know those great looking Blackhawk dudes won't work. Thought he had some earlier figures in the queue.

Thought on a prev post Norbert mentioned 2005 USAF UH-1N crew. I know those great looking Blackhawk dudes won't work. Thought he had some earlier figures in the queue.

Maybe he did, I missed that. I would assume the helmets would be wrong though. I believe USAF helo crews use the same HGU-56P hemets as the Army crews do.

35a_zpsvfj3jgm2.jpg

They are actually based on modern US Army pilots/crew. Their uniform, gear, and helmets are too modern. They have ACU flight suits, more modern airsafe vests, and HGU-56 helmets.

Like this handsome guy...

1226142333_zpsiawxwls_edit_1419657190303_zpsayzhr1wy.jpg

Hey. Who is that dude?😎

Tim

Hi Norbert, looking forward to this. Out of curiosity, how do you lower them? Just shave some material off their posteriors to account for settling into the seat or do you physically shorten the pilot?

Unfortunately (for me) it will be a total move, that will affect about all angles (knees, arms, back, etc...)

fortunately, the guys on the back are seating at a right high

Norbert

Unfortunately (for me) it will be a total move, that will affect about all angles (knees, arms, back, etc...)

fortunately, the guys on the back are seating at a right high

Norbert

Norbert, I know you're working on helicopter crews right now, but is there any chance you could make some modern 1/35 scale military helicopter mechanics posed like they are working on a helicopter?

They would look great in a maintenance diorama with a Huey, Blackhawk, Cobra, etc!

Please!!!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

OK Tim, as you insist, I will work on these maintenance crews too. (in fact I already uploaded plenty of pics in order to have some inspiration...)

BTW, today I succesfuly printed a sitting blackhawk pilot at a lower position, looks realy better

Norbert

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Norbert. Looking forward to seeing the seated pilot. Hope I'm not being too pushy!, but your figures are absolutely awesome.

Tim

Many thanks Tim

some progress on the blackhawk crews in 1/35, in fact these models could be supplied as they are.

sittinga_zpszbewsyct.jpg

sittingb_zpsinmbk9sw.jpg

but I'm not completely happy with them. We have the copilot with his hand as he shows something up, and I wanted it futher back on the ceiling panel.

Have to move it

And more tricky, when the crew is installed, you can not fit the IP without some modifications to the kit :

here, The IP is placed a little higher. We can save also some space by putting the seat frame a little more back, but then we have also to move the pedals.

sittingc_zpsll95n8wc.jpg

or just push the central panel a little forward or elongate it (it looks short) will give more clearence at legs.

sittingd_zpsabpemeoj.jpg

As you can see, you can move the center console forward and get a realistic look of the sitting pilot.

sittinge_zps1a4oipmt.jpg

Knowing that the pilot is accurate, there must be something wrong in the cockpit. Are the seats too much forward ? the IP to much backward ? the position of the pedals good or bad ? The whole cockpit is a bit too short ?

What do you guys think, is placing the IP and therefore the central console a little forward (and a little higher for the IP) a good compromise ?

Norbert

Edited by norbert

In your last pic, the angle of teh IP looks as though it may be too high. It may interfere w/the windshield. I think the pilots and cockpit are probably both correct. The real aircraft is a rather tight fit, there isn't much extra room up there. The console and IP can probably be adjusted around the figures to make it all fit in place.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, had to do some paint, I have an exhibition in 3 days.

First attempt for something looking like a digital ACU uniform, was a little afraid of that but it was more a question of patience

35zj_zpsxarg69uy.jpg

35zk_zpsxpv10vq9.jpg

Now I think I can do better

Norbert