RB-57E by Busolini Massimo

I just found this in the Gallery forum. Really nice job on the DET 1 bird. I think the panel weathering is just a bit too much. The panel lines on these birds were not too obvious. (But... It still looks nice!) The title under the picture should say Tan Son Nhut 1965. These 6 planes were all stationed at Tan Son Nhut from '63 to '71. This particular acft., 55-4243, was shot down in '65 (The crew were recovered in good health)

I crewed these acft. from Dec. '69 to Dec. '70. They were outstanding recon. platforms. One of my favorite assignments while in the USAF. (I was Asst. Crew Chief on 55-4257. This acft. had no camera in the nose. It had a TFR installed for test purposes!)

DET1460

That is very nice, even taking into account the perhaps overdone panel line pre-shading. What would have been even nicer would be a link to the item in question, if something is worthy of mention here, its surely worthy of putting up a link, especially when the article is nearly two months old. It did take a bit of finding, not trying to be bitchy, but its something I've commented on before, maybe it needs making into a sticky for this section.

Steve.

That is very nice, even taking into account the perhaps overdone panel line pre-shading. What would have been even nicer would be a link to the item in question, if something is worthy of mention here, its surely worthy of putting up a link, especially when the article is nearly two months old. It did take a bit of finding, not trying to be bitchy, but its something I've commented on before, maybe it needs making into a sticky for this section.

Steve.

Steve

I agree a link would be nice, but I don't know of any. I do have both printings of Robert Mikesh's books on the B-57, The Martin B-57 at War and The Martin B-57... The Complete Record. After purchasing the first I wrote him of my experiences with the "Night Intruder", as Martin called it, and received a very nice reply.

What I spoke of in my comments comes from personal experience, not links. And that was 45 years ago.

I wasn't trying to degrade the work Busolini had accomplished on the kit, just letting him know of the mistake on the data he'd applied to his 'cover photo'.

As for two months since its appearance here, as I mentioned I'd only just found the post. Anything with B-57's, especially PATLYNN acft. I take notice. And he did capture the RB-57E well.

I hope this clears things up a little for you.

DET1460

Steve was trying to indicate that it would be polite to provide a link to the subject of your post (Massimo's RB-57E model). I had to google to figure out what you were talking about since the article didn't appear on the front page of ARC.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal14/13301-13400/gal13348-B-57-Massimo/00.shtm

The overdone panel lines is not a style I like and have rarely found realistic. As for being a Patrica Lynn aircraft, I know the airfix kit is very lacking in details specific to that model. If I remember correctly all it had was a radome with the basic shape for a Patrica Lynn. I see no evidence the builder attempted to add any other details or even deviate from the instructions to fix even basic flaws with the airfix kit like the ribbed rudder and horizontal tail attachment.

There's nothing wrong with this approach. The guy is obviously talented, but just not interested it building an accurate model.

Here's someone else attempt that gets more of the details: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940894-martin-rb-57e-patricia-lynn/

Thanks DET1460 for that explanation, as CTD has pointed out ( thanks too for that), not what I was after but interesting comment nonetheless. I have put up a post at the top of this section asking for articles to be linked to, we'll see what sort of response it gets. :unsure:

Steve

Thanks DET1460 for that explanation, as CTD has pointed out ( thanks too for that), not what I was after but interesting comment nonetheless. I have put up a post at the top of this section asking for articles to be linked to, we'll see what sort of response it gets. :unsure:/>/>/>

Steve

Sorry. My bad! I misunderstood the link reference.

The job Massimo did wasn't bad, but I agree there are lots of little details missing. And having spent a lot of time face to face with USAF acft. I find overdoing panel lines can detract from an otherwise very nice build. I think Massimo didn't have a lot to go on, detail-wise, as I've looked for these birds myself. I made one of these by converting a Classic Airframes B model. Unfortunately when I recently moved it was destroyed in the truck. I plan on doing another soon.

It seams most people tend to gravitate to the "G" model most of all. It WAS an impressive looking acft! (But, when the RB-57E's rolled out everyone on the flightline stopped to watch them...) I have a personal interest in the Patlynn acft. and hope to get all six in 72 scale done. I got six of the DB Conversion noses for them. Some are installed and look good. Dave was an outstanding individual when it came to making resin conversions. I have many of them. Purchased over 25 years ago. How time flies...

Anyway, sorry for the confusion, I'll try harder next time!

DET1460

Have to thank CTD for the link. I have an old Airfix Magazine all about modelling the B-57 in all of its versions. (The 'new' airfix kit was the star, of course!)

And Steve, you may like this.

I have an old photo I shot on the ramp at Tan Son Nhut of and Aussie Canberra "240" as it taxied out. We all waved to the pilot, he slowed, opened the small hatch on the canopy stuck his hand out and waved back!

Edited by DET1460

I have an old Airfix Magazine all about modelling the B-57 in all of its versions. (The 'new' airfix kit was the star, of course!)

And Steve, you may like this.

I have an old photo I shot on the ramp at Tan Son Nhut of and Aussie Canberra "240" as it taxied out. We all waved to the pilot, he slowed, opened the small hatch on the canopy stuck his hand out and waved back!

What issue of Airfix Mag is that, its normally not too hard to pick them up off ebay & I'd be keen to get this? I liked your story about the Aussie Canberra, the Aussies are a friendly mob by & large ( except when we're playing them at cricket. ;) ), their Canberras had a good record in Vietnam.

Steve.

What issue of Airfix Mag is that, its normally not too hard to pick them up off ebay & I'd be keen to get this? I liked your story about the Aussie Canberra, the Aussies are a friendly mob by & large ( except when we're playing them at cricket. ;)/> ), their Canberras had a good record in Vietnam.

Steve.

It was Volume 1/No. 12 August 1989. Has some nice pics of models built by a number of people including Dave Buttress of DB Conversion fame, who I mentioned in the last post. Bill Robb built a 1/48th RB-57F from the old ID Models vacform and its very well done in NASA markings. If you're into 57's, like me, you should try and find this issue. It is a little dated, but models are models. Hope this helps you out.

And the Aussies were great at everything they did in Vietnam. Very friendly bunch, too! Got to spend time with some of them. "No Problems..."

DET1460

• 2 weeks later...