1/48 Academy Su-27UB - 21st Century Sparka

Hi all,

here's my current project I want to share with you.

Being a huge fan of Soviet/Russian aviation the Flanker family is my particular favourite. Having hoarded multiple boxings of Academy’s Flanker I thought it’s finally time to build one.

The real deal

This is the aircraft I want to build (profile done by me):

su27ub_left_side_scheres7n.png

When I saw the unusual stripy camo I was immediately hooked. I had to build this machine.

This bird was photographed during the exercise "Ladoga-2014". This exercise took place in the Western Military District and involved aircrafts using live weapons on the ranges of the banks of Lake Ladoga.

This particular machine was recently overhauled at the 20th APZ (Aircraft Overhaul Plant) in Pushkin where it received its unusual camo. It seems that many overhauled birds there get an non-standard camo. Whereas Red 52/RF-90754 has a quite similar paintjob, Red 10/RF-92431 was painted dark grey overall.

The kit

The Su-30M2 (#12301) is Academy’s latest reboxing of the venerable Su-27UB kit. Although marketed as a Su-30 the kit still contains all parts to build a standard doubleseater.

If you want to build a "Sparka" I would recommend this boxing as it contains some improved parts (e.g. weapon pylons).

The challenge

For this build I want to refrain from the use of any aftermarket enhancements (there will be one exception though). The reason is quite simple. I have 7 more Flanker kits (2 single and 5 double seaters) and for some of them I've already bought a lot of resin sets (Nozzles, nose cone, wheel wells, cockpit…).

Therefore I want to show the (well known) weak points of the kit and how they can be improved without resorting to resin upgrades (which are not always as accurate as we often think). This will also give me the chance to hone my scratchbuilding skills a bit.

Let's start with the nose cone.

00010rsha.jpg

00029fsxb.jpg

00034bsv4.jpg

0004g3s2y.jpg

00055qs15.jpg

0006jzss3.jpg

0007wvsm7.jpg

0008fwsau.jpg

0009sdsml.jpg

That’s it for the moment. I hope I won’t bore you with yet another Flanker WIP. With modelling time mostly limited to the weekends this won’t be a fast build so I hope you bear with me.

Till next update…

Markus

Halo Markus!

there is never enough Flanker!

Your start let think that your build is going to be epic.

Your radome correction is very smart.

But I thought the nose was also too short in length. isn't it?

Count me on for watching you progress!!

Grüssen!

Romain

Thanks for the replies, so no pressure then... :D

But I thought the nose was also too short in length. isn't it?

Salut Rom,

well, the lenght error (16mm) is evenly distributed across the whole airframe. If one wants to correct this you would need to add material on several places across the whole lenght. I think this build illustates it nicely.

I will not try to correct it as it doesn't impact the final apperance unless you put it next to an accurate Flanker (Hobby Boss, can you hear me :pray:).

Cheers,

Markus

Bored by your build? No way,dude!

Will be following closely - with a hope that I finally would find the motivation for building my precious (though now possibly outdated in some respect) Heller UB.

Danke markus!

I got mixed up with the 1/32 trumpeter inacuracy.

I think they included the pitot inthe total lenght, making the nose shorter.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Truly a very informative tutorial. Like most, I love Russian aircraft too and have the kits as well. This is such a great documentation that I am going to have to save this thread. Thanks for sharing the information and what a detailed build this will be! I am already looking forward to more progress!

-Mark

Thank you all for your encouragements.

In fact I put quite a lot of thought into the presentation of my build, involving countless hours of "research" by looking at other WIP’s (quite a hard job, but someone has to do it... :D )

In the end I adopted a style inspired by the WIP’s of the fellow members chukw and ZAgocs. Thanks for inspiration guys.

Now seeing the amount of work necessary for creating and updating a WIP I appreciate it even more that you all try to share your efforts with us. :thumbsup:

Later that day I will post an update on my Flanker build so stay tuned...

Next update incoming...

I've been working on the canopy or to be more precise, the windshield. As provided the clear parts are way too narrow. Unfortunately Academy didn't take the chance to retool the entire clear sprue for the Su-30 boxing.

There is a replacement in the form of the wonderful Fairy Hobby vac canopy but I decided to go my own way as you will see:

0010e3ubt.jpg

001144uhm.jpg

001265uai.jpg

0013o8ukb.jpg

0014alu2j.jpg

Markus,

I'm most impressed on your crash molding procedure, as well as making the mold. Like you said, with the canopy open, no one will ever know that there is a size difference.

Joel

What the...!!! :jaw-dropping:/> This is some seriously impressive stuff Markus!

I couldn't have said it better any other way!! Extremely detailed and informative not to mention..... top notch building!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

being safely back from China I finally had some time to work on my Flanker again.

Slats

One component I rarely see corrected on the Academy Flanker are the slats. They are missing some subtile shapes and (in case of the double seater) some panel lines.

002122p14.jpg

0022nipaq.jpg

0023xup4t.jpg

0024s0o60.jpg

0025poq2y.jpg

0026trpay.jpg