1/48 Academy Su-27UB - 21st Century Sparka

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

I don’t know if my build will serve as a benchmark but I hope that my build serves as an inspiration and will help modellers to improve their kits.

Markus

Hi guys,

a bit more progress over the weekend…

Flaperons

My Flanker will be built with all Flaps and slats extended which is always the case when the aircraft is powered down on the ground.

On the Flaperons you can get a glimpse of the actuating mechanism when fully extended. To represent that on the kit you'll need to do some modifications.

For reference I used some pics from the first page of this walkaround.

00329zshh.jpg

0032am6ulq.jpg

00338wjlc.jpg

0034skstt.jpg

0035ans76.jpg

00367xsqy.jpg

0037d4su2.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome…

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

Thanks for your continued support guys. Every comment helps me to keep my motivation!

Comment: awesome. Critique: nada.

You're too kind. In fact I think that most people here could easily achieve the same level of detail. I'm just thinking about the gems members like chuck540z3 or Aigore churn out seemingly with ease.

Markus,

The level of detail is just amazing. Those Flaperons are a perfect example of how you're maintaining that level.

Joel

Thanks a lot Joel. To be honest I'm shuddering when I remember that I have another 7 Flankers in my stash which require similar treatment. Although I really enjoy it, it is also quite hard to keep on track sometimes.

That's the problem when you research a certain subject for a long time, you simply can't ignore the kits weaknesses any more.

Cheers,

Markus

this is really killer stuff. I'm taking extensive notes. Those flaps are great. The quick boost ones have those notches but not the rivet detail.by the way I'll still get that PDF uploaded sometime soon.

Thanks Nicholas!

Yep, I noticed the same on the Quickboost flaps. Actually it's quite easy to modify the kit flaps once you've figured out where the cutouts need to go.

No hurry with the pdf, this (and my other Flanker builds) will keep me busy for a looooong time...

Fantastic work! Please post everything you can! :-)

Thanks for stopping by Mario!

No worry, will do. There is a long weekend ahead of me so I should have enough time to do some further work.

Cheers,

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

Hi guys,

just a short update.

I'm currently preparing a guide for the panel lines on the Academy kit as some are incorrect or missing. I get my information mostly from walkarounds and photos as I found out that most scale plans are more or less inaccurate.

I think I found a serious accuracy issue on the double seater which I've never seen mentioned anywhere. I discovered this issue as I simply couldn't align some panel lines in the area of the airbrake. After looking hard at photos for a long time it dawned to me that the problem was the position of the brake itself on the kit.

I’m pretty sure now that the airbrake is located too much forward by at least 6mm.

One hint is the position of the antenna fairing on the spine. Its forward edge should align with the leading edge of the long access panel whereas its trailing edge should align with the panel line between these access panels.

The relative position of the airbrake to the dielectric panel remains the same for single and double seaters.

Here you can compare the different location of this antenna fairing (compare the position relative to the long inspection panels):

03sro25.jpg

04lqp1e.jpg

As modellers we have a few options now:

• Leave it as it is because it doesn't bother you

• If the brake is built closed you can fill the incorrect panel lines and rescribe them in the correct position

• If the brake is built open you could try to remove the complete bay and reposition it

Hope you find this info useful.

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

Markus,

Your attention to details, no matter how small is quite impressive. For someone my age (quickly approaching 70), your generation is taking the hobby to levels that we could never have imagined back in the 70s.

Joel

Hi Markus! Nice build, and as others said very good attention to details. I am building at present another Flanker on Britmodeller and will take some of your ideas for it.

BTW, you are invited to pass by there:

My Flanker

Keep us posted, please

Juan.

P.s. I have sent you a PM

Thank you all for you continued interest.

Comment: :thumbsup:/>/>/> Critique: :cheers:/>/>/>

SERNAK,

Thanks for stopping by and liking my effort, much appreciated :thumbsup:/>/>

Markus,

Your attention to details, no matter how small is quite impressive. For someone my age (quickly approaching 70), your generation is taking the hobby to levels that we could never have imagined back in the 70s.

Joel

Joel,

in fact with all that information available today it was never so easy. Today you're just one click away from a myriad of pictures, walkarounds and dedicated books which show you every nook and cranny of your desired object. Not to mention all kinds of internet forums where you can channel the knowledge of many like-minded enthusiasts.

We are really living in a golden age where almost every obscure subject gets kitted, a wealth of aftermarket enhancements exist and the amount of reference material is sometimes bordering an information overflow.

Hi Markus! Nice build, and as others said very good attention to details. I am building at present another Flanker on Britmodeller and will take some of your ideas for it.

BTW, you are invited to pass by there:

My Flanker

Keep us posted, please

Juan.

P.s. I have sent you a PM

Juan,

thanks for your nice comments. I'm following your build on BM since the beginning and would be happy if my build is useful for you.

The next update should be ready at the weekend.

Cheers,

Markus

That's a big mod!

If you build the airbrake closed it is not that complicated, just a bit of rescribing required. Only if you want to display the brake deployed it get's really challenging. I think I will try that on one of my Flankers, just for fun... :P

Cheers

Markus

• 2 years later...