got my vitts arround to make a building thread on this one.

Cocpit more or less ready. Let's close it up and get ready for paint. still some work before we can start the paiting process , but we're gettin there.

This will be a gray Viggen btw. I have two more in my stash and atleast one of them will be in camo. However I think the gray ones look way better espesially those with dayglow numbers on the wings and tail. I have some 2Bobs decals on the way so I will use them naturally. But other than decals , PE cocpit and some missiles from the spares box, this will be an OOB build.

This is by no means a shake and bake kit. I've had some fit issues with both the radome,wings and airintakes. However the plastic is relatively easy to work with so they are fixable. The worst part is on the airintake sides and in the radome area where there is some difference in hight on the plastic.. that took a while to get right, some superglue, sanding and rescribeling fixed that up nicely, but it took like forever.

19820_10152749465030671_7560640802659235784_n_zpsiurtuv0f.jpg

21722_10152749476270671_2078775517255922115_n_zps41jm0awr.jpg

11096576_10152749463045671_3177914271337538023_n_zpsmqbel1ig.jpg

I found that the canard flaps is always dropped as long as the landing gear is down so I did just that. this would have been alot easyer if I did it before I placed them on the jet though.

Also the -37 in this config's got two vortex generators on the canards , not just one. so I made some aproximations using some evergreen.

Now lets put on some antennaes , struts and check for cracks that need filling.

11078088_10152750263595671_6531233515258121688_n_zpsmkb9eruo.jpg

Been working stady and got some detaling and the base paintwork done. Although the Viggen is a gray jet , just painting the thing gray and call it a night would not make for a good result. So I've decided to take it a cupple of steps further. Weathering this thing is really fun. Just gotta make sure I dont' overdo it. the airbrush effects are almost done. Now it's down to washes , and drybrushing to get the rest.

11088270_10152751526955671_8087215289605285294_n_zpsgxtmy0ca.jpg

11146209_10152751526900671_4889503568175802382_n_zpsijjicqxv.jpg

11127457_10152751527075671_7084566090733162092_n_zpsppzluguv.jpg

11091564_10152751526805671_1944565114773369641_n_zps6qsid1ni.jpg

Great seeing another Viggen on the table! :D

Mighty fine work I´d say :D Putting on the decals before weathering is a little thing to consider tho....They get weathered as much as the fuselage :D

Thumbs up tho and keep up the good work!

You can really see all the work you've done on the pit! It looks good! The IP really stands out against the white consoles. Did you use a pearlescent white paint for the control panels? Your exterior weathering is equally impressive. Looking forward to more progress.

Taggor, I think that´s the Maestro PE-set for the JA 37D cockpit..

On a side note, I can see my old home town on that tactical display.. (It´s showing Linköping (white), which is where the Viggen was built, and the lake Roxen (blue))

The cockpit color of the Viggen is a neutral light grey.

Anyway, nice model, and it is nice to see another Viggen!

Great seeing another Viggen on the table! :D/>

Mighty fine work I´d say :D/> Putting on the decals before weathering is a little thing to consider tho....They get weathered as much as the fuselage :D/>

Thumbs up tho and keep up the good work!

Cheers dude :)

yea it's just some basic airbrush effects, next up is the decals before I start the fun part with washes and stuff.

I'm curius though, I use your exelent build as inspiration for this one, but I cant for the bare life of me find refrances on arnement. Every single Di pic I've found thus far has been either "naked" or with a ACMI pod of some sort , and on those the pylons did't match with the ones on your jet. To me it looks like you've used LAU-128 but I cant find a single pic with those on a real jet. a Viggen witn slammers and 'vinders looks menacing to say the least. just way cool.

also I got the Two Bobs decal sceet today, but no shoot, there is no Di on there, I'm lookin at 37 394 /17 - 47 from F-17 at Rønneby, but the decals represent a jet from '92 and that don't match to well with a Di or does it ? I donno :)

You can really see all the work you've done on the pit! It looks good! The IP really stands out against the white consoles. Did you use a pearlescent white paint for the control panels? Your exterior weathering is equally impressive. Looking forward to more progress.

Yea that IP turned out really nice , it's PE from Maestro modell, it's just like a zoom set you get from Eduard, and they actually made this for Maestro/Rebellhobby/Tarangus (same owners I beleve). So you can imagine the quality. I really dont see the use for a resin cocpit when using this set. It's really,really nice.

Viggen, like Swedish aircraft in generally, mostly flew without much in the way of armament, to save airframe and munitions from wear. Also, there is this policy of not flying with missiles during QRA for some reason, some say it too is to save the a/c from wear, some say it is not to provoke Ivan..

But the JA 37D was indeed supposed to fly with Rb 99 (AIM 120B AMRAAM) and Rb 74 (AIM 9L Sidewinder). The D-modded JA 37D was the only Viggen able to use the AMRAAM. Earlier versions of the JA 37 carried the Skyflash SARH missile. The other Viggen versions could only carry older Sidewinder missiles.

The Maestro PE is actually produced by Eduard, so the quality is the same.

39394 was delivered to the air force the 19th of February 1985. It flew 1813.23 hours before being scrapped in 2003. (From the book "Viggen" by Sven Stridsberg) It appears not to have been D-modified.

Oh, I forgot.. there are plenty of pics in books that I have that show JA 37Ds with AMRAAMs and Sidewinders, but I managed to google this up:

ja37_f4-35.jpg

There you have four CATM-120B rounds on LAU-128s, and a Sidewinder missile on an older type of launcher.

You can, if you know what to look for, spot the counter measures launcher under the wing, on the otherwise unused pylon station behind the main landing gear.

/E

Cheers dude :)/>

yea it's just some basic airbrush effects, next up is the decals before I start the fun part with washes and stuff.

I'm curius though, I use your exelent build as inspiration for this one, but I cant for the bare life of me find refrances on arnement. Every single Di pic I've found thus far has been either "naked" or with a ACMI pod of some sort , and on those the pylons did't match with the ones on your jet. To me it looks like you've used LAU-128 but I cant find a single pic with those on a real jet. a Viggen witn slammers and 'vinders looks menacing to say the least. just way cool.

also I got the Two Bobs decal sceet today, but no shoot, there is no Di on there, I'm lookin at 37 394 /17 - 47 from F-17 at Rønneby, but the decals represent a jet from '92 and that don't match to well with a Di or does it ? I donno :)/>

I see Erik beat me to the reply :P

You could put rocket pods on just to be different :)

All set for the decals. I did some more shade on selected panels to brake up the monotone gray , now it looks better as far as I'm concerned.

This will be 17-38 from F17. I originally wanted to do one from F4 as they have a cool pendant on the tail, but I did't have all the markings I needed so F17 is my 2'nd choise

20877_10152756224685671_53428607482637886_n_zpss9bxg7fv.jpg

11133934_10152756224540671_8075861283640554281_n_zpsfvj0ecwq.jpg

11139394_10152756222225671_5694471779388604106_n_zpsrsmf1av6.jpg

Working the decals.. man.. I'm not gonna give Tarangus a thumbs up for these.. They curl up the wrong way and I'm having a helluva time gettin them to sit right. they are also very "stiff" soI'm using gunze mr mark soft in order for them to lay down like they are supposed to

20150409_163307_zpskk8ayhpk.jpg

Strange.... you're the second person I know of who complained about the decals.

I had no issues with the decals I used....is it a quality control issue?

I thought my decals were thin an easy to put on, thin and when nicely into nooks and crannies.

You really have a nice subtle variation with the grey scheme. Sorry to hear about the decals. Sometimes it takes a lot a patience and perseverance to make it to this stage and keep going! I'd say you are doing a heck of a job with the problems you describe. Keep at it!

You really have a nice subtle variation with the grey scheme. Sorry to hear about the decals. Sometimes it takes a lot a patience and perseverance to make it to this stage and keep going! I'd say you are doing a heck of a job with the problems you describe. Keep at it!

It just tok some time and alotta microsol , but eventually I got i sorted.

I posted the finished modell in the gallery , It turned out really nice :)

Just back from the Moson Modeling Show with a fresh, brand new Special Hobby SAAB AJ 37 Viggen the "Attack Version"! It was sold in the CMK shop at the show. The price was 57Euro but I think this included a cut price specially for the show. They had tons of the kit. It looks nice. I dont know if the Tarangus version has it, but the Czech version includes a nice decal sheet and an etched set for details. It looks nice. In the end I did not invest in the CMK thrust reversers and the undercarriage. They also have an ejection seat (according to the instruction) but they did not have it at the show.

Best regards

Gabor

I was hoping the resin would be found inside the box as well.... but €57 sounds pretty alright I guess, still a tad steep tho :)/>

Hi Aigore,

I believe a lot of sprues are different from the Tarangus. It has two fins but apart from that I could not identify any parts related to the fighter type. The two seater should follow. After two days at the show, a lot of meeting with friends from all over the world, discussions on future projects, judging in one of the categories, trying to shop around as well as traveling each day some 300 km and starting at 4.25 AM I was not so "sharp" last night when I had a quick look inside the box. So will have to make a closer look later on.

Somewhere before there was a discussion on the price of the kit and it was only confirmed this time at Moson that the agreement with Tarangus obviously included the level of price. It is perfectly understandable. In case of CMK the reverser petals and the wheels were around 5-7 Euro (each set), I guess the "Raketstol" is in the same range. This means that the extra resin would be around further 20 Euros and then it does not include weapons or new canards. Concerning the canards I think I will have to do the canard myself and there was a very last chance to have a closer look :whistle::coolio: at the Viggen in the Szolnok museum before it was closed for good in March this year. :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :( :crying2: :( :( :(

Best regards

Gabor

Special Hobby Trust revers will be sold at e 5.29 while tyres will be 6.98.

Here you can also see a photo of their new resin seat, I think the headrest is way too big

http://www.aeromodel.eu/en/special-hobby-1/special-hobby-1-48/1-48-saab-aj-37-viggen-attack-version.html?cur=1〈=1

Gabor, since you have now the SH AJ37, can you please check if it comes with connection betwheen lower tail fin and fuel tank pylon? It was the only part missing in the Trangus kit to build an AJ, should be a stick circa 2x3x50 mm. Thanks

Gabor, since you have now the SH AJ37, can you please check if it comes with connection betwheen lower tail fin and fuel tank pylon? It was the only part missing in the Trangus kit to build an AJ, should be a stick circa 2x3x50 mm. Thanks

Hi there,

I will take some photos of the sprues and the rest, only now have an urgent work to do.

It could be better to do a separate topic on the new model than to intrude into this build. Originaly I only wanted to add a bit of news (good news!?) here.

Best regards

Gabor

I made a box opening of the Viggen kit with photos of what’s inside. Well I was trying to add the photos here but something very fishy is happening on Photobucket. The upload worked but its not possible to do anything else. I am not able to open my library to share the photos of the Viggen. I am totally fed up with it. Photobucket is a piece of sxxxt. I have no idea what to do!! Sorry! Anyone with an idea???

Best regards

Gabor

It was very frustrating yesterday that it was impossible to use Photobucket in any way! :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2: I don’t know what they are doing but this is not the first time that I experience this! Anyway it was working this morning so I quickly made a new topic in the Jet section.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor,

Just tried accessin' my photobucket account, 'n' it took almost forever for the page to load. When it finally loaded, it took yet another forever for the page to accept both my username 'n' password. :rolleyes:

I can't seem to be able to get the image of those three stacked dashes at the bottom left angle of the piccy I want to share, tho.

Is Photobucket kaput...?

Unc²